Help with BLW; give me the lowdown!

Emma11511

Julian's mummy
Reaction score
As the title says really. I'm set on BLW and Julian in six months next week, so I need some info! I was kind of hoping to wing it, I haven't been to any classes or anything. Were going to the Baby Show in a couple of weeks so hoping to get some information from Annabel Karmel. What did you give your baby and when? Morning, afternoon, evening? I was thinking of starting with some toast at breakfast, as that is what we have? Thanks in advance :)

Buy this book, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-led-Weaning-Helping-Your-Baby/dp/0091923808. It will give you all the info you need for BLW, no need to worry about set times, amounts etc just offer LO food whenever your eating if he try's some great, if not no problem.

The basic principle is that you make sure everything you eat as a family is fresh/healthy/no added salt/no nuts/no honey, everything else is fair game, when you eat put a bit of what your having on LO's tray and leave him to it, at first he'll probably just play with it, maybe lick it etc, eventually he'll start tasting and eating the food you offer, and then he'll end up my LO who just hoovers up everything we put within her grasp! Ha ha :thumbup:

This website has some good info too https://www.babyledweaning.com/ and there are lots of good vids on YouTube

Feel free to pm me if you want to ask more any questions, good luck, it's amazing you will love it!! X

Pretty much what Gc85 said! My LO loves toast, he has it for breakfast with sugar free fruit spread. Good first BLW foods for lunches and dinners are anything that can be cut into strips or sticks long enough to poke out the top of your baby's fist. Broccoli is a good one as they can hold the stem and nom off the little bits, mine also liked baby corn.

The first thing we tried was pasta! Went down.a treet. Then cooked veg.

He's nearly 7 months old and so far he's had pasta, spaghetti Bolognese, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, sprouts, salad, tomatoes, bread, toast, cheese, ham, cottage cheese, potatoes, sweet potato, parsnips, egg noodles, cous cous, rice, banana, apples, pears, grapes, eggs, beans. Probably a few bits I've missed off. His fave being blueberries!

The first time we gave him it he put it straight to his mouth and there's been no turning back lol!!

Just literally give him what you have for meals as long as there's no salt/sugar etc. And as said above no nuts, honey, runny egg etc.

Oh and just put it straight onto his tray for him to pick up. Try offer water in a sippy cup with it.

Ps. I don't have a book as I think its common sense when you think about it :blush:

I have the baby led weaning cookbook as it has lots of info in the front plus some nice recipes.

I gave him a teeny bit of toast with marmite this morning :haha: I looked up whether marmite was okay or not, and everything just said watch the salt, but a teeny bit wouldnt matter. He loved it! Wouldn't put it down at all lol. I let him have a small slice of apple while we were eating earlier too, he just sucked it :)

Annabel Karmel is TW, not BLW, but her finger foods book is very applicable to BLW. Toast is fine - you can cut htem into (your) finger size. A fruit is a godo way to start, such as half a banana.

Can I offer a peeled mini-banana? And uncooked apple slices for him to gum on? Is it a no-no to offer something that's been cooked with ghee? Sorry to hijack! Is it a special kind of toast? Or if I make a loaf of wheat bread and just toast a slice is that okay? I have terrible expectations of him gumming bread into a lump he can't swallow because toast in british english =\= toast in american english.

Can I offer a peeled mini-banana? And uncooked apple slices for him to gum on? Is it a no-no to offer something that's been cooked with ghee? Sorry to hijack! Is it a special kind of toast? Or if I make a loaf of wheat bread and just toast a slice is that okay? I have terrible expectations of him gumming bread into a lump he can't swallow because toast in british english =\= toast in american english.

It's all fine :)

Sorry-another stupid one: if we're having hamburgers, can I cut it into finger-sized strips for lo to gnaw on and taste? I buy leftover steak hunks from the local butcher and freeze them until I have enough to go through the grinder and make into patties. I keep my grinder extremely well-cleaned, but I'm wary of giving lo anything that's been ground and stored. Would you guys be okay giving this to your LOs?

Sorry-another stupid one: if we're having hamburgers, can I cut it into finger-sized strips for lo to gnaw on and taste? I buy leftover steak hunks from the local butcher and freeze them until I have enough to go through the grinder and make into patties. I keep my grinder extremely well-cleaned, but I'm wary of giving lo anything that's been ground and stored. Would you guys be okay giving this to your LOs?

Mmm I probably personally wouldn't. Just my own little concerns with stored/frozen meat and bacteria etc. That's not to say it shouldn't be done as I don't know. Just not something I would personally do xx

It's fine! Just don't add any salt and ensure they are piping hot when re heating and them let them cool to eating temp. I make home made meatballs and do the same thing.

If your LO is 6 months or over you don't need to worry about sterilising all your cooking or feeding equipment, just wash with hot soapy water and follow usual guidelines around food safety, they've have got to get used the the normal bacteria that's around your home to build up their immune system. :thumbup:

I would just be careful with hard raw fruits like apple and under ripe pears etc, chunks can break off and if your LO is still working out how to move food around in his/her mouth it could be a bit of a choking risk. When we gave fruits like this we just made sure they were very ripe and soft and anything hard we cooked, baked apples always went down well! Now that my LO is an expert at chewing and moving food around in her mouth I do give her hard fruits, crackers etc but I am confident she knows what she's doing and very rarely gags, you'll get an idea of when your baby's ready.

I don't see why ghee would be a problem as its pretty similar to butter/cooking oil which is fine??

With bread I just stick to wholemeal and keep an eye on the salt content, some breads can have a lot of added salt. You will normally find that if they get a big chunk mushed up in their mouth that they are more likely to just spit it out rather than try and swallow a massive piece.

I'll stop spamming now!

This is a great book with lots of lovely recipies that fit well with blw https://www.amazon.co.uk/River-Cott...7564/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1360008791&sr=8-8

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->