help with gaviscon!

willowblossom

Reaction score
So my lo has had quite bad reflux. Saw the hv today who recommended we tried gaviscon. So u got a prescription from the doctors for her. The instructions on the box are really for bottle fed babies. My lo is ebf so not really sure how to give. My hv said to mix the powder with breast milk but the instructions say water. Also is it better giving it to her on a spoon or by syringe? If any ladies have any advice I would love to hear it! :) x

Yeah it's right I used to mix it with breast milk and syringe feed it..it can become thick so if you can manage a spoon that's ok as well.

I've have 4 sons, 1was ebf ,2 was expressed bf same with 3 but he ended up on formula and baby son now is formula fed so what I do is mix some in formula and syringe it into a teat end and let him suck it that way or if he has a full feed I just add it to bottle.but that's if you've got a teat..:flower:

You could try :shrug:
:hugs::hugs:

Thank u for your help! Will try mixing it with breastmilk and see how it goes. Did u give before or after a feed? X

I give it with his feed not every bottle/ feed. Just 3 times morning afternoon last night feed. It depends how often you feed. Just try twice a day then alter to his needs. It took a while for me to get it right but he also has carabel (thickener) in his milk cos of bad reflux , it helps and also now I'm trying to wean once a day so it's to be little thick :winkwink:

Step at a time :thumbup:

I mixed it with water and then fed it with a syringe. Gaviscon didn't work for my boy though :-(

I used breast milk (more than they said) and syringe fed.

I made it up with water. Gave it whilst I was ebf but LO would spit it out from spoon or syringe so I actually put it in a bottle and gave it when I swapped sides during a feed. if I tried to give it at the end he wasn't hungry enough to suck it from the bottle.

Ive tried giving it from a syringe but nog sure how much shes actually swallowing. Am a bit worried about putting it in a bottle as dont want nipple confusion, but may have to if she wont take it. Thanks everyone for your advice! :) xx

I make it up with boiled water because it dissolves easier and then let it cool and feed with a syringe. Just feed a ml or even half a ml at a time and let your LO swallow in between each squirt. My DS seems to quite like taking his but thankfully he's growing out of his reflux now and hardly ever needs the gaviscon.

I mixed with cool boiled water less than they said and syringed before a feed xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->