Help with GD.... so confused.

LittleSienna

Reaction score
Could I ask you girls to have a look at my readings for me please.

yesterday after lunch was 6.2 and after dinner was 7.8

today fasting was 3.7, after breakfast was 7.0 before lunch was 7.9 and after lunch was 8.4.

The after results are always tested an hour after eating. I have no idea whats normal and what isn't so if someone could help me i would be truly grateful.

Try not to eat as many carbs during your meals until you can see a dietician or your doctor, they are a little high, its recommended to be 4 and 7.9 1hr after meals usually, although I am a type 1, I don't think its any different.
Are you just controlling through diet or Insulin?

Could I ask you girls to have a look at my readings for me please.

yesterday after lunch was 6.2 and after dinner was 7.8

today fasting was 3.7, after breakfast was 7.0 before lunch was 7.9 and after lunch was 8.4.

The after results are always tested an hour after eating. I have no idea whats normal and what isn't so if someone could help me i would be truly grateful.

I've been told to test 2 hours after meals and my readings need to be below 7.5, I've been told that my readings need to be below 6 prior to meals. I'm on metformin and haven't really been told much else x

I am confused and surprised that no one gave you any guidelines about normal ranges. I am 38 weeks tomorrow and have had GD since 21w. I was advised that 3-5 pre meals is good, and 5-7.2 is good for after. Sometimes I am sensitive to certain carbs. You have to see how your body reacts. Balanced meals with whole grain carbs, fruit, veggies, proteins are important, and good for your baby! Excersice plays a part as well. I test 7 times a day, and inject insulin 5 times a day. Don't stress :) It'll all be ok :)

Hmm interesting. My guidelines are:

Before meals under 5.3
1 hr after under 7.8
2 hrs after under 6.7

Your before and after lunch seem high. How many servings of carbs are you eating at each meal? Maybe try going for a 15 minute walk after each meal if you can?

It seems as though everyone has been told different targets :/

Well it depends where you are too actually. I'm in Canada and I think looking at the guidelines it's a bit more strict here than elsewhere? Maybe not. I know the numbers are tighter for GD rather than just a normal diabetic because they are concerned for the baby's health, not just yours!

They are slightly high.

I'm on 1500g of metformin.

With that, I've been advised not to eat fruit or too many carbs as its too high in natural sugar and completely tips me over the limit.

My dietician and I came up with this diet plan for the next few weeks to regulate my readings.... 2 x ryvita with peanut butter for breakfast, celery sticks and hummus for snack, turkey salad no dressing for lunch, carrot sticks for snack, chicken breast with veg for dinner and if you are still hungry before bed then a glass of skimmed milk.

I've been doing this for just over a week and my readings 1 hour after meals are between 5.5 - 6.5 instead of 8 - 9 I was getting before.

I still have snacks if I want them like chocolate or cake etc, I just have them in the middle of the day when I am most active as they burn off easier and the readings still stay low.

Good luck with the gd, just find a happy medium for yourself, trial and error different types of foods etc and you'll be fine. Also, try not to stress yourself out over it as it increases your blood sugar level - annoyingly!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->