Help with inverted nipples in pregnancy

jkbmah

Preggers with #2
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm PG with number 2. First time around I really struggled to get DD to latch on. She was only tiny and we ended up having to FF her whilst in the hospital as it got too late for her to start feeding. Once she had a bottle thats it, there was no getting her back on the boob.

The main problem I think is the fact that I have inverted nipples. One more so than the other. The hospital wards were also boiling hot which didn't help trying to get them to "stand out" if you know what I mean.

I really want to try to BF again this time but want to be better prepared. I mentioned it to the midwife and she said that there are things you can do in pregnancy to help with inverted nipples but that I could phone a breastfeeding helpline to ask, rather than actually telling me anything useful.

Can anyone here help with advice/things I can do in pregnancy to help

(PS I tried nipple shells/shields whilst in hosp last time - no go)

I gave 'flat nipples' and like you, struggled for them to stand out enough for baby to latch. I was advised to try lansinoh latch assist. It pulls your nipple out enough for baby to latch and it worked perfect for me x

are they truly inverted or do they ''stand out'' when stimulated? I have one flat nipple, but it can stand out. DD1 never was able to latch so i used a nipple shield. DD2 had no issue latching. It doesn't mean it won't work out this time.

Hi, they can stand out a tiny bit if its cold enough! ha ha but one can be really inverted if you push it in.

I just remember the wards being boiling last time. Did you use a nipple shield or shell. I've only just come to know they are different things! Im very annoyed I had no support last time. should i be using something in pregnancy??

The things your midwife is talking about are called nipple formers! I actually don't have inverted nipples but used shields last time and stumbled across the nipple formers. I can't post a link but you can get them from boots. Not sure how successful they are though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->