Help with names!!

nickynora

1 fab 4yr old & 1 angel x
Reaction score
My OH and I are stuck between 2 names we really love. I prefer one and he prefers the other!

They are Maisie and Mia.

Baby will have both surnames double barrelled (Norton-Ward)

Jus wondering what you ladies thought?!

I absolutely love the name Maisie, but I do think it's a very cutesy name for a kid, but not the best adult name. Have you considered giving her a name like Margaret, Mary, etc and then calling her Maisie? :flower:

Mia is really cute too, I like both names!

I LOVE Maisie.
I find Mia very common, but still pretty.
Personally, I would choose Maisie :)

Yeah Maisie is my fav too - but I do worry that she wont like it when she's older!!

My sons name is Bailey and my OH has a daughter called Lilly-may, so both go with those.

I s so hard coz my OH really likes Mia, and my mum does too (they both think she hate being called Maisie when she grows up but agree its a cute name!)

Agh!!

Even something as simple as May/Mae can be turned into the nickname Maisie :)

I think what people forget is that she will grow with that name so why would she hate it?

My friend spent weeks and week and WEEKS trying to decide on a name for her daughter that would suit her when she was 8 minutes old, 18 years old and 80. And I thought...WHY??? She will grow with the name & the name will be hers for life no matter what it is, it will 'suit' her because it's hers.

My little one will be Millie Amanda. I gave her the middle name Amanda after my mum, but also as a more traditional name so she can use that if she wishes.

I'm personally not a fan of naming someone something then calling them by another name (if that makes sense!)

My name on my birth certificate is Nicola but I have always been known as Nicky (esp to family) it caused me some confusion apparently when I started school as on registers I was Nicola - except I never knew they were talking to me!! My brother James had the same issue as he was always called Jamie (thouh now chooses to be called James!)

Just personal preference I guess!!

I think what people forget is that she will grow with that name so why would she hate it?

My friend spent weeks and week and WEEKS trying to decide on a name for her daughter that would suit her when she was 8 minutes old, 18 years old and 80. And I thought...WHY??? She will grow with the name & the name will be hers for life no matter what it is, it will 'suit' her because it's hers.

My little one will be Millie Amanda. I gave her the middle name Amanda after my mum, but also as a more traditional name so she can use that if she wishes.

To answer your question as to why would you want a name that suits her at all ages, I personally don't think of it as the child liking/not liking the name, but rather when he/she goes to apply for jobs someday, etc. that the name will be suitable for an adult and easy to pronounce, etc. In a perfect world people wouldn't be treated any certain way because of their name, but studies have shown that people with strange, juvenile, or hard-to-pronounce names lose out on jobs, promotions, attention from authority figures, etc. than those with "standard" names. Sad but true. So that's why I'd want to give my child a name that can easily have an ADORABLE nickname but that when written on a resume, etc. will give him/her the best possible chances in life. :)

Thats what I think! Thats why I called my son Bailey! I loved it and thought what the hell, he might hate me for it later in life but I love it - and as you say they kinda grow into their names!

I like Mia, I think it could work for her better as an adult. Good luck, my DH and I are having a hell of a time coming up with a girl name that we both like.

I know an adult Maisie and she loves her name. She's a preschool teacher and the kids love it too. :)

i personally wouldnt go for maisey beacuse

1) its common (i know quite a few kids called that)
2) it doesn't age well for things like jobs

as for people saying the child will love it because it there name... not necessarily
i know tonnes of people that changed there name because they hated it - your name is the biggest part of your identity (its every where you go and the first thing everyone ever asks) if its not right you'll hate it knocks your confidence - but then you never know if your child's name is right, i was named on sight and it never ever suited me

May, Mae and Mia are all really nice and the first two could nickname Maisey

what about something like Maybelle or Mae-Belle to shorten to Maisey?

I think wristwatch24 has great advice. And because of that, I'd also either pick Mia or a name that can be shortened to Maisie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->