Help with pronunciation - how would you say it?

parky

Reaction score
We have had our baby girls first name picked out for a few months but have been really struggling to agree on a middle name as there aren't any family names we like - I wanted something with meaning or something that is specific to us - my husband is from the Isle of Man and we both like the name 'meave' which is listed on the ' Manx girls names ' list but I'm a little worried people will mispronounce it

How would you say it?

MAY-V

my OH friend has a similar name but with an N on the end and its pronounced MAY-V-EN

its a very short sharp V sound with no E sound

I'd also rhyme it with 'leave'....pronouncing it as Meeve.

Meave spelt like that I'd pronounce like leave.
Maeve I would pronounce like cave.
X

I would say it to rhyme with 'rave' but probably only coz I've not heard it to rhyme with 'leave' xx

Meave spelt like that I'd pronounce like leave.
Maeve I would pronounce like cave.
X

This.

\
same

Yup

I think it's really clear it's obviously not 'meeve' due to the spelling

lol, obvious? Replace the M with a L and you have Leave, hence why some thought it would be said as such.

But perhaps Im just dense :winkwink:

No because leave has the e before the a, and maeve is the a before the e! So it's not the same

Ooh can I just apologise I misread the OP post!! I thought she was checking the pronunciation of Maeve

I didn't realise Meave was a name :)

So not obvious at all then!! :haha:

It would be my ignorance, but I would think it was Maeve mis-spelt.

Maeve like Mayv
Meave like leave

However I read the name and read it as Maeve, so I instantly said Mayv. I think if you name your daughter Meave, you'll encounter this problem a lot because the name Maeve (Mayv) is more well known.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->