• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Help with tummy time pls

rainbow girl

Reaction score
Just wondering how your LO's are doing with tummy time? My LO is 4 months old and really doesn't like being on his tummy at all. I try to put him on his tummy a couple of times a day but he really struggles to keep his head off the play mat and moans and groans like he is doing weights iin the gym! His head and neck control is excellent when sitting upright. i'm just a bit worried about why he cant seem to manage to lift his head well while on his tummy. Anyone else experiencing the same issue? Anyone have any tips on how to improve his strength in this position?
Thanks in advance:flower:

My lo hated tummy time until she could roll on her own. Just keep practicing and he'll gain strength. Try enticing him to pick his head up by putting a toy or a mirror in front of him.

Tummy time doesnt have to be just laying down on a mat, having them on your chest counts as well.
I think having them on your chest while your layed back is much better for some babies because they are more likely to try lifting their head so they can look at you and they feel more interactive plus its brilliant for bonding and chatting with them and pulling faces :)
Give that a try, theres plenty of time later for them to learn independantly on the floor and this way can be better and more enjoyable for you both. :)

https://www.askbaby.com/baby-crawling.htm

There is a technique which claims to help your baby crawl earlier (should you wish him or her to). In essence the technique makes your baby more tolerable to stomach lying. •Step one place your baby on his or her stomach on a carpet on the floor.
•Step two gently hold your baby by the elbows and encourage supporting him or herself on elbows. Continue to provide support.
•Step three measure, or try to get some measure of the distance between the floor and your baby's armpit in the supported position.
•Step four get a roller with approximately the same diameter as you've just measured. Rollers are soft cylindrical shaped toys, preferably firm. The roller should be placed underneath your baby's upper body for support. It is important that you do not buy the roller too big. Your baby's elbows must still reach the floor when lying over the roller.
•Step five put the roller underneath your baby's upper body with elbows touching the ground in front of the roller. This supported position also allows your baby to lift his or her head and discover the surroundings.
•Step six get down on the floor directly in front of your baby, face towards your baby. Now let your baby look at your face while you talk to, amuse and encourage your baby to lift his head and take part in the conversation.

•Step seven step six is the most important step of this activity. And your baby will surely endure longer sessions and crawl sooner if it is enjoyable. Remember, your baby should focus on you and naturally develop a sense of using both legs for support. In no time you will see your baby supporting the upper body on straight arms and bearing weight on both knees ready to crawl.
Spend three to five minutes daily, results will come even faster if you can do more than one session per day.

having them on the floor,bed,soft areas,your lap,your chest are areas i have my LO,he is 10 weeks holding his head up and alwasy doing the half press up position in all the places i've just mentioned hes a very strong baby.dont force LO their take their time,and be up and going in no time :)

my lo is nearly 7 months old and still hates tummy time! he can roll back to front then cries because he cant seem to get back again, whenever i put him on his tummy he cries aswell

i do like 2 mins on the floor with a mirror to look at so he wants to lift his head and he does it on my tummy for quite a few hours a day, i just let him lie on me after every feed and watch a film or something and hes always lifting his head

what age are they meant to be able to hold their head?? aidys 5 weeks old and really good at it so i thought by 4 months he'd definately be holding it up with no problems!

I guess every baby is different Luca manages it fairly well when lying on me but he hates being on his tummy on the floor etc. Will just keep practising and will check with my hv to make sure he's physically ok. That's a really good link you posted Gen79, thanks for all your tips everyone xx

Max would not tolerate any tummy time at all until a few weeks ago so we never forced it. However, since he has started reaching out to grab his toys, we tried tummy time again and started putting toys in front of him to try and entice him to lift his head lol. It seems to be working too, he was attempting little mini push ups yesterday! I am not sure he is ready to roll our anything yet but I can live with that, I suppose he will do it when he is ready!

x

My LO hated it till suddenly she didn't, I dont think it is always related to whether they can lift their head but more whether they want to. My LO's been doing TT sucessfully for two months but this week because she has a cough she has gone straight back to planting her face on the floor and whinging!!

my LO is the same I put toys infront of him now and hes tarting to like it

Louie still isn't a fan of tummy time. I have a nursing pillow though and I lay him over that (so I kind of put it under his armpits), which makes him more comfortable and I can get him to stay like that for maybe 3 or 4 minutes before he gets grouchy.xxx

my LO absolutely hated tummy time, today i bought a tiny love tummy time mat and he spent around 5 minutes on his tummy - a personal record cos he normally wont last more than 30 secs so was worth the purchase

Jack really wasn't liking tummy time at all. His head control was really good when sat up on my lap or when he is laying on our chests and is lifting his head to look around or at us it was just when lying on his tummy.

I then brought a Bright Starts Tummy Time mat. It has a kind of play mat with a cushion that you rest their chest on which encourages them to lift their heads up. Since I brought that he has got so much better and now he is doing really well when we have tummy time :)

I'm going to try putting a toy in front of him as well to encourage him even further :)

I posted about tummy time earlier actually as it has got increasingly hard with Ava-Mae but tonight I tried with a rolled up towel under her and she lasted about 8 minutes which is about 3 times longer than she normally does!

xx

Thanks for all your replies will keep perservering with it and hopefully he will 'get it' eventually! Parenthood can be stressful eh? Im always worrying about something or other!!! x

Our lo hated tummy time when younger so spent alot of his time on our chests. We placed him on the mat each day and tried to keep his interest being on the floor with him.

Once he learnt to roll he didn't mind being on his tummy.

Don't force them and as soon as they get upset stop . One day they will just be ok with it and like it, have faith it will happen :)

Id never even heard of tummy time till on came on B&B!!! tummy time bla bla bla! as if there isnt enough to worry about eh! My Lo didnt like tummy time at all but was crawling by 6half months so please dont worry,your Lo may or may not enjoy tummy time x

Adrian hated tummy time until he could roll. He has even just started sleeping on his tummy at naps and nighttime. He actually sleeps better on his stomach than he does on his back now. And when we are playing on his blanket he is 90% of the time on his tummy. I started putting his toys in front of him a little out of reach and he would keep reaching for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"