Help with weaning and milk please

pollydolly

Reaction score
Hello, Leo has 32oz of formula a day, just recently the last couple of days I've started him on puréed fruit (sometimes with baby rice) on the advice on my health visitor as he was still hungry.
He has 4 bottles a day (8oz each) and I've started giving him the fruit at lunch time but he still wants about 6-7oz of his 2nd bottle even after about 50g of the fruit purée (he won't have more than that of the food)
He'll then go about 5 hours without food or milk so I've started giving him some fruit again in the evening around 5pm, but again he still wants his milk straight after. Is this normal? Or should he not want his milk straight away?
I was thinking of maybe giving him 7oz bottles again instead of 8oz then he can have the extra 4oz before bed?

This weaning business is confusing x

I'm completely sure on my memory of this so don't take my word for granted. I think to begin with I just gave my son purées on top of his usual bottles so he was still having the same amount of milk as before if he wanted it. I've also never really had my babies in a set routine they just feed on demand. Once my son was older and having more substantial meals I know I tried feeding him at 'tea time' and just offering a smaller bottle an hour or so later before eventually just offering the meal. When I stopped offering him his bottle after his lunch time meal that became quite a battle.

I would continue the feeds as normal as well as the fruit, the reason your LO perhaps needs the fruit is because the milk alone is not satisfying. You should find that he will continue with the milk and increase his needs for solids! It is confusing but they need the nutrition from milk until 12 months of age! I am in a similar position, my LO started on solids at about 4 1/2 months, she nearly 7 months now and having 3 meals a day but still has 3 bottles!

Why not just give a little extra milk to curb his hunger? He's still very young for solids, and fruit/rice will do nothing to fill him up anyway.

I thought they were only allowed 32oz of formula a day that's the only reason other than my health visitors advice that I started fruit purée xx

They should have as much milk as they want unless there are obvious concerns that have been expressed about being overweight (like his weight is off the centile chart and they have concerns he's putting on too much weight too quickly). I imagine my daughter was probably having almost that much if not more at one point (and she was a small eater compared to some babies). There is absolutely no need to wean in order to cut down on milk.

At that age, with only a few spoonfuls of fruit, the calorie and nutrient content of puree won't be enough to make up for lost calories and nutrients from milk that's withheld. Personally, I would always offer milk first and then solids an hour or two later. You won't (and you shouldn't) see the amount of milk taken decrease right away. It will take awhile for your baby to be able to eat that much. Just think, we eat fruit or veg in greater quantities when we are on a diet. It's not calorie-rich like carbs or protein or dairy. So it won't change how much milk your LO needs too quickly. We started weaning at 6 months, feeding everything from toast and hummus, to yogurt, to whole bananas, to roast chicken, and my daughter didn't decrease the amount of milk she needed until 8-9 months. Just keep feeding him milk and follow his cues about how much he needs. He won't overeat and he'll let you know when he doesn't need as much anymore. If he's used to having 8 oz, give him 8 oz at all the usual times. If he doesn't want it, he'll take less.

They should have as much milk as they want unless there are obvious concerns that have been expressed about being overweight (like his weight is off the centile chart and they have concerns he's putting on too much weight too quickly). I imagine my daughter was probably having almost that much if not more at one point (and she was a small eater compared to some babies). There is absolutely no need to wean in order to cut down on milk.

At that age, with only a few spoonfuls of fruit, the calorie and nutrient content of puree won't be enough to make up for lost calories and nutrients from milk that's withheld. Personally, I would always offer milk first and then solids an hour or two later. You won't (and you shouldn't) see the amount of milk taken decrease right away. It will take awhile for your baby to be able to eat that much. Just think, we eat fruit or veg in greater quantities when we are on a diet. It's not calorie-rich like carbs or protein or dairy. So it won't change how much milk your LO needs too quickly. We started weaning at 6 months, feeding everything from toast and hummus, to yogurt, to whole bananas, to roast chicken, and my daughter didn't decrease the amount of milk she needed until 8-9 months. Just keep feeding him milk and follow his cues about how much he needs. He won't overeat and he'll let you know when he doesn't need as much anymore. If he's used to having 8 oz, give him 8 oz at all the usual times. If he doesn't want it, he'll take less.

Thank you so much.
I've stopped the fruit purée and I'm just giving him however much milk he wants, I always wanted to do BLW so I'll be waiting until a lot closer to 6 months
Thank you x

Let your baby take as much as they need milk wise- that's all they need in the first year the fruit has little calories so won't fill up their little tummy x food after 6 months is still classed as "play" until 1

I was told that at this age most of their nutrition should come from formula so to always offer the bottle then an hour later offer the puree. Thats what we have been doing and ds still has abottle after his food. He has puthimself into alittle routine now where he eats in chunks. Its normally something like this.
6-6.30. 6ozbottle taking about 4oz
7.30 breakfast of pureed fruits between 50-100g
8.30-9. 6ozbottle taking 5oz
12-13.00ish. 6oz bottle downs it.
4-4.30 6oz bottle taking 5oz
5.20ish veg purees between 50-100g
6.10-6.30 8oz bottle.

So as you can see he eats in chunks and has a lunchtime bottle.
Hope that helps give u an idea xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"