Help

mummy_smurf2b

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So my baby was born 22nd April and I was hoping to breast feed but it didn't go well. After a while trying when born she eventually latched on but then wouldn't latch again and she was on iv for 5days. I didn't get to start trying to pump til we got home on day 6 and have struggled getting any out. It was always drips except one occasion where I got about 1oz but then went back to drips :( I really don't want to give up the idea of her not getting my milk I regretted it so much with my 2nd.
I guess my question is should I hire a hospital grade pump (currently lookin at getting a s2) and I'm currently using spectra m1. Will it help at all? What else would you suggest.
Thanks

I'm so sorry your hospital didn't support you to hand express or lend you a pump...I'm quite shocked! Milk production is stimulated by the presence of oxytocin (so that's why skin to skin cuddles are recommended) nipple stimulation and milk removal from the breast. I'd recommend having your baby on you skin to skin as constantly as is possible - allow her free access to your breasts and to play with them and try to latch it she wishes (even if she doesn't feed) then every 2hrs pumping with a hospital grade pump. Of course this may not fit in to your life, so you just have to do as much as you can. Can I ask - do you know when your milk came in? Did you feel your breasts get big and hard?

Yeh they went hard and the more full they became they started to go a different shape lol
Yeh I was disappointed that no one helped me at all and it does upset me cause I wanted it more than anything this time. I haven't given up yet even if she only gets 1oz a day it's better than nothing.

Yeh they went hard and the more full they became they started to go a different shape lol
Yeh I was disappointed that no one helped me at all and it does upset me cause I wanted it more than anything this time. I haven't given up yet even if she only gets 1oz a day it's better than nothing.

That's good, so you know they are making milk, it's just about how best to get at it.

Are you getting any support regarding latching her on, or have you decided to focus on pumping and bottle feeding?

Just decided to focus on pumping wen I try her on me she only latches for a few secs then stops so don't think it will happen but may try get her to try again once iv got a decent supply going

My son didn't latch until he was five weeks old and i think it was down to frustration of not getting milk straight away. After I got a good flow from the pump he was happy enough to go on and have a good feed for ages, even lasted until he was 14 months. I agree with pp of skin to skin. I used to take him in the bath and lie him on my chest, or lie on bed with him on me a lot. I also in the very early days pump every hour - two hours and got a good supply build up but each time let him try first even even though he didn't actually feed. It was just one day in the bath he latched and feed for ages and that was it.

I will try getting more skin to skin does it need to be full body or can It just be her head on me?
I'm also goin to see if my body responds to a manual pump any better.

I found a manual pump best, much more control and comfortable. I did it lots of ways, had skin to skin on the sofa so had them snuggled up on my chest of it was sitting up. if I was in bed watching TV I used to lie down and have them next to me so was still skin to skin but they weren't actually on me if that makes sense. still got that closeness and bonding time x

Everyone finds different ones better. I didn't like the electric ones, I found them too harsh and sore. The manual I could use as my speed and took my time. I managed to bf and express for 14 months with a manual pump so yeah I would say they work just as well!

Good luck!

Remember to drink lots and lots of water. Oats are also good at boosting milk supply for getting tucking into a packet of hobnobs ��

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->