Her own room...

JennyLynn512

Mom to four
Reaction score
I need some advice ladies....Valerie is coming up on 7 months this week and we have been trying for about a month to put her into her own room. My husband and I aren't against her being in our room, but we figured we'd give it a try and see how it went. Well...it hasn't been working very well. She will sleep about 2-3 hours in there and then she'll wake up; I'll let her cry for a bit thinking she'll go back to sleep, but she never does. So we've tried changing up the nighttime routine, getting her a little nightlight and radio, and a few other things. What else can I do to get her to sleep in her own crib?

My in-law family and my parents are just bugging me constantly about how I am going to have a toddler who is going to have to sleep with Mommy and Daddy every night and frankly I am so sick of it. I also get the, "Your daughter is running your life, Jenny, you have to show her who is boss." Ugh! They are persistent that I leave her in her crib to cry it out. That if I can't stand to hear her cry, leave the house for a night and let my husband do it. I WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO DO THAT! So...basically I've tried to go to my husband's family and my family for advice on how to do this and I got no where. So I'm turning to you guys...any ideas?

my little man was the same and eventually it did work after listening to pain staking crying and being very persistant lol i had that off my family too and it drove me to be more persistant with him good luck x maybe she is used to her crib? or cot etc try her in the cot in your room then her own room or the crib in her own room then her cot

My parents and in laws have told us as well just to put him in his room and leave him to cry all night if need be which I just couldnt do!

Do you think it would help if you slept in the room for a few nights to help her get used to it? Matt and I sleep in Seths room rather than bringing him into ours so that he can get used to his own room.

I hope it gets better soon hun

xxx

If your hubby and you are on the same page with your parenting styles, who the hell cares what anyone else thinks?

My far-be-it-from-humble-opinion...:blush:

To answer your question though, you just have to work at a new routine that baby gets comfy with.

Babies don't particularly like change, but adding the white noise to her room (like mommy adn daddy's breathing/snoring) :) might help her. Otherwise, it's your continued reassurance that will be most helpful. Does she nap in that bed?

Here's some resources on getting baby to sleep:
https://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/t070300-sample.asp

We started gradually with Josh hun. He use to go in his own room for a nap during the day, then for every naps he would go in his own room. I would put a shirt with my smell in his crib and a white noise cd.

Then he went for nights when we moved into our new place. At first, he would wake up 20 times a night screaming and instead of taking him into my arms right away I would just shhhh to him and whisper to him. It would calm him down & comfort him and he'd go right back to sleep.

Good luck hun, and remember that you're Valerie's mother and YOU and ONLY YOU know's whats best for her.

I agee with Linzi's suggestion...

Also, will she take a dummy? Or have a comfort blanky? If you come in, can you comfort her without picking her up, just to let her know your still there?

Another thing to consider that worked for me when my LO came out of hospital after 8 weeks (she was used to the noise of the hospital, used to being fed every 4 hours on the dot, used to hearing other babies crying/nurses talking/lights on low all night) was to try and ease her into a routine gradually.
I would put her mobile on, rock/hold her until she was asleep at first and then put her down. If she cried, I picked her back up after 2 minutes and let her fall asleep in my arms again and then put her back down. After 30 minutes or so she would be so tired she fell to sleep.
After a while I stopped rocking her to sleep and just gave her a cuddle, put her in bed with mobile on. Again, if she cried, I picked her up, gave her a cuddle and put her back down. Stand at the side of the cot until she is sleeping.
A week after this I would put mobile on, quick hug and straight in bed. I would sit on the bed until she was asleep (if she cried, after 2 mins of crying I rub her tummy).
The week after I would put her in bed, mobile on, and stand at the door until she was asleep. Again, if she cried after two minutes I would go and rub her tummy and shush her. After about 10 minutes she went to sleep.
The final stage was putting her in bed, putting mobile on and leaving the room :) We have baby monitor on, if she cries (and cries for two minutes straight) I go back in and shush her, no touching or talking and she will go to sleep after one cry now most nights. We also do this routine for naps in the day, no fussing, just a quick soft shush and she calms down :)
Don't know if this will work for you because it is an entirely different scenario and it took us a month to her into a good routine. It mght be worth making a recording of you and your DH sleeping and putting it onto a cd - just a short one, maybe 30 mins worth. That way you can reduce the volume over a few weeks and hopefully your LO will settle :)

Also, it could be that because LO is used to being so near to Mummy and Daddy, she gets upset when you are not there. If that is the case, what I do should work for you.
Hope you find something that helps xx

If your hubby and you are on the same page with your parenting styles, who the hell cares what anyone else thinks?

My far-be-it-from-humble-opinion...:blush:

To answer your question though, you just have to work at a new routine that baby gets comfy with.

Babies don't particularly like change, but adding the white noise to her room (like mommy adn daddy's breathing/snoring) :) might help her. Otherwise, it's your continued reassurance that will be most helpful. Does she nap in that bed?

Here's some resources on getting baby to sleep:
https://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/t070300-sample.asp

You are right...if my husband and I don't have a problem with it, then why change. That's what I said! But I also got to thinking about how she is getting older and we should try to get her in her own room. I just don't know! Lol! We need to decide what we're doing though to get her into a routine like most of you have all said. Thanks for the advice ladies, I've written down a lot of the things you've all said and I'm going to be using them. :)

I'm nervous about putting Connor in his room so you will have to tell me when you figure out something that works, good luck hun.

We started slowly with Jasmine, shes back in our room now but thats because shes been unsettled over here, does she have a comforter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serenity123
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->