He's not real anyway!!

kirstybumx3

Mum to two boys, R&N
Reaction score
Those words!!!!
I was talking about Christmas last night with a friend and she said to Rio 'Santa is watching now I hope youre on your best behaviour' and he piped up with HES NOT REAL ANYWAY! Mum gets up and puts the presents out in the night.
I quickly shot him down and said how on earth would I do that, id have nowhere to put the amount of presents santa brings! And that santa doesn't come and visit children that think he isn't real, so if that's what he thinks he may be disappointed on Christmas morning when hes not been left any presents!
He is 6, and I know with his asd he is so literal about everything, but that was so out of the blue. I said whos told you that nonsense anyway, and he said nobody its just obvious. OBVIOUS? You are 6 stop it!

Cant believe he actually thought Santa wasn't real! I will give Santa a call I think and explain to him that Rio is having doubts, so maybe santa can write to him, or something similar so that he knows he is real. Id be really disappointed if we woke up on Christmas day and he hadn't left presents for Rio because he didn't believe.

(needed to put as he is very tech savvy and I am now petrified he will find threads!!)

:(

Hahahahaha oh my god he is so much like my Layla! I can't help but giggle when I read your posts about him, I know I shouldn't because its frustrating and I'm with you there 100% but its hilarious that hes just like my daughter with the things he comes out with :rofl: I've told layla recently she will have a shock on Christmas morning when Santa has not been because she didn't believe! Well I've contradicted myself really because Santa isn't real and she will be waking up to presents and I'll get the 'I told you so' treatment from her! Shes too bloody clever and it absolutely grinds my gears :rofl: I need a back up plan and something to make her believe!!!

Aww! :(
My DD still believes but last year her friends told her he wasn't real. I managed to get her to still believe but I don't think it will be too long now

I think around 6 and 7 is when they start to outsmart us! And I think having the internet these days dont help, there was none of that when I was little so there was no YouTube videos about santa not being real and things like that! So once you didn't believe back then was either when you grew up, or your friends didn't believe, it wasnt influenced by the internet

Yes I 100% think technology has a lot to do with why children are getting younger when they start to question it!
We were looking through apps a little while ago and Rio came across a 'fake santa phone call' app which of course he asked about. I thought I managed to convince him with some odd story about it being the elves when santas busy or something stupid like that.
Paired with the fact that every santa he has been to see has looked different and he questioned why they have false beards (again explained that the elves help and report back to santa as hes FAR too busy) im not surprised he questions it.
I mean would you believe that elves dress as santa to trick children, so that they can go back and report to santa what you have asked for, when santa is supposed to be able to see and hear everything you do anyway?!
Im really sad about this, im going to put polar express on after school and show him how the boy didnt believe in santa either until he saw him for real. We are doing a polar express trip 22nd december, im tempted to say that its going to be the real santa there.

Aw I hope you can pull him back round before Christmas.
My oldest is 9 and honestly the poor kid is so gullible he will go along with anything I thought this year might have been the end but after the stunt I pulled last year of trapping the elf in a Pepsi bottle he is 100% sure that I could never have done that haha! so he is still on board with Santa so far. I’m not so sure about next year.
My youngest (7) said a few months ago that he knew Santa wasn’t real but I just brushed it off and he’s not mentioned it since but I think whenever big one stops believing that will probably be the end for youngest too, my youngest won’t go along with anything he is very clued up.

Oh nooo. I do think that at this age they try and tell themselves he isn't real but won't fully admit it and will still look forward to the excitement just to see if he does come....they're testing us!

My 7 year old is doubting but we've managed to get away with it by telling her the 'santas' we see at school, grotto, train ride etc aren't real but they do send messages to the real one. She's buying that for now but does ask so many questions I think this could be our last year.
My youngest is 5 and I have a feeling because they're close in age she'll also stop when her sister does :-(

My kids have never believed but we never tell other kids, ever. I tell them that's their parents job to tell them.

When my Ds was 5 he told my mum that Santa was mythical!!! She told me this when I got home from work and I was gutted, I really wanted the magic to go on for longer - the next day I went straight to the travel agent and booked a December day trip to visit 'the real Santa' in Lapland (this was in June, the trips weren't even in the agents brochures yet!) We had a very long, and very good fun day by the end of which he completely believed he'd met the real one.

It's so sad when they stop believing. I hope he comes back round. Ds3 was having doubts about 2 years ago at 7, then managed to talk himself back in to believing because he thought I'd have to go to the shop in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve.

I don't think it helps that so many Christmas films, aimed at children, show parents not believing and talking about it as if it's common knowledge. It raises questions.

DD1 is 6 will be 7 in February and she still fully believes although this might be the last year as her and her friends get older you know what it’s like ! I’m really hoping I can keep her believing for longer as I feel I’m not ready for it yet haha !

I don't think it helps that so many Christmas films, aimed at children, show parents not believing and talking about it as if it's common knowledge. It raises questions.

Totally agree! I always tell my girls don’t worry about anyone else it’s what you believe. Such a tricky one !

Hopefully Rio comes back around !

I'm terrified of when this happens. I blame other kids. My son is 8 and still believed but he has older kids in his class this year so it has me worried. I'm not good at making excuses on the spot.

It's sad when other kids have to spoil it :(

It's sad when other kids have to spoil it :(
I think when older ones have had their bubble burst they take extra pleasure in telling everyone around them. That's how I found out, my cousin found our gifts hidden at his house and rather than make up a story my aunt told him who's they were - and let him play with them!!! The next day he visited us and took great pleasure in telling us that he'd already played with all of our stuff (and had broken one of my brothers).
My Ds is 9 and after the blip at 5 and believing again since I know he's beginning to question the reality, like everything else he's been taught over the years though when he works this one out he'll be warned not to spoil it for anyone else - and I'll encourage him to help me play the game.

I really worry about when Rio has found out, because he will not tolerate lies and to him that will be a lie, if something isn't true or right he will go out of his way to let people know the correct way, that's just what hes like.
However I think i may have convinced him for a little bit longer, I told him that father Christmas called me to have a chat about what rio had said :haha:
He cried!! i didn't mean to upset him, I just wanted him to think if I spoke to santa he must be real lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->