Hey ladies! New to this section.

ShakeItBaby1

Mommy to Riley Elizabeth
Reaction score
Hey ladies! :wave:

I just wanted to pop in and show my face. I just had my LO on January 05th, and have been exclusively BF'ing since (every 2-4 hours. Sometimes sooner if I see her rooting.) Which brings me to my first question - how much do you feed your LO? I know she's only 4 days old, but sometimes ill feed her and she's rooting, sucking on her hands, trying to suck the blanket, etc. 30 minutes later? I'm not sure if she's just looking for the comfort, or actually hungry. :shrug:

Secondly, how much is TOO much spitting up? She's only spit up about 4 times - is that too much? She never spits up a lot, but it's worrisome to me as a FTM :blush:

And lastly - the first couple of days home she was latching on pretty shallow - and I got compression lines - ouch! - I've changed to the football hold which seems to be working better, but as my nips are healing it's still a little tender. Is it still a bad latch or is it a mixture of my healing nips/my nips adjusting? It's just a little tender. No burning, no pain where I want to stop - just uncomfortable?

Sorry so many questions! I thoroughly enjoy BF'ing and don't want to give up!

Hi!
It's totally normal that your LO will want to feed often. It's the best way to build up your milk supply & they have really tiny tummies at this stage. Always offer both sides at every feed though, even if she doesn't take it, there's no reason not to offer.

Spitting up, again, quite normal. As long as it's not an excessive amount after every feed, then it's fine. And remember, spit up milk always looks like more. Even a teaspoon of milk spilt on a table looks like a lot, what she's bringing up will look like more than it actually is!

Tender nipples, again, totally normal. Babies have very strong suction & your nipples have to get used to it. They will be very sensitive & a bit tender at first, and although the initial latch might be a bit sore, it shouldn't be painful throughout the feed. Sounds like you're doing fine tho.

Just keep feeding, every 2-3 hours as you're doing is perfect, I never let my LO go any more than 3 hours during the day.

You're doing great!

At that age, the best thing you can do is keep an eye on your lo for hunger cues and feed as often as she wants. Every 2-3 hours is a fine average, but there will be times when feeding will be much more frequent. Some days it might even seem like nonstop feeding all day long (my lo did that two days in a row when she was around 5 weeks old). That is normal, and as previous people said, that is how they build up milk supply.
Babies also often nurse for comfort rather than for feeding. There is nothing wrong with that. As long as it doesn't interfere with your sanity too much, let her do that.

Not sure about the spitting up. My girl rarely spit up, but your lo doesn't sound abnormal to me. Maybe others will be able to help.
Same with the latch and discomfort. Others can help you better with that.

Oh, and congrats on the new baby! :flower:

Thank you ladies! This is all new to me so of course I feel like my questions are silly :dohh:

I've just started feeding my LO whenever I notice ques that she might be hungry! It seems to be working fine. I mostly just let her latch on & go until she unlatches herself. Her diapers seem to be getting tighter, so I'm assuming that she's gaining weight. We don't have another dr appointment until January 20th. Guess we'll see!

Your doing good keep feeding when she cues , you can't over feed a breastfed baby

But has LO been checked for a tongue tie? The sore nipples and lines could be a bad latch

Hey. I remember you from 3rd tri, you had your lo just before me.

My lo was generally feeding every 3 hours but then yesterday she literally fed from 9pm till about 730am this morning. As soon as she fell asleep and I put her down she would wake up, rooting and fussing. At this age they are trying to build your supply so just carry on following her cues.

Im a second time mum and I still worry. I know my lo has lost weight, 9.4% of her birth weight. They are weighing her again tomorrow and im so hoping shes put a little weight on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->