hiccups

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by jenny82, Dec 12, 2009.

1. jenny82

jenny82 Well-Known Member

Is there a certain way LO should sit/lie when he gets the hiccups?

I hate seeing him with hiccups as they cause his whole body to shake :/

2. aimee-lou

aimee-lou Totally Outnumbered!!

Hiccups can cause a bit of reflux so it's best to have them sat up slightly (bouncy chair I find works well). Earl is a hiccuppy baby (always been told that it means they are thriving as it's a sign of growth...don't know how true this is but still) and he hates them so I usually either hold him sat up, on my shoulder or like I say in his bouncy chair (I can also distract him when he's in these positions). He's getting more used to them now though, but when you have them 5-6 times a day, I can imagine it gets frustrating. I used to get them lots as a child so he must get it from me....poor thing!

3. flower01

flower01 Expecting Baby 3!!

my little one gets them frequently. She got some when the midwife was here the other day and she said that they dont bother baby at all. Willow used to get them all the time when she was in the womb which is apparently why she gets them often now.

= 0 )

4. lorna84

lorna84 mummy to Emilie :))

Emile gets hiccups alot, she really doesnt like them at all although she will tolerate them for a little while she ends up getting pretty furstrated bless her

5. jenny82

jenny82 Well-Known Member

I think my LO gets quite frustrated too! It's ok if you have them for 5 minutes or so but he seems to get bouts which last 30-45 minutes!

6. lyre

lyre Well-Known Member

My lo likes to sit propped up against my breastfeeding support pillow when he has hiccups. He hates being held during them.

7. polaris

polaris Mother of two

My LO doesn't seem bothered at all by the hiccups, just as well since he gets them at least two or three times a day. They used to bother me but he honestly doesn't seem to mind them.

8. Beth09

Beth09 Well-Known Member

Zach gets them alot and they dont seem to bother him but i hate seeing him with them, we usually give him something to drink (cooled boiled water) or milk and swallowing usually gets rid of them!

9. Wendyk07

Wendyk07 Mummy to Derrin and PAL

Derrin gets the hiccups 3 or 4 times a day. My MW told me to give him a little lukewarm water just from a t-spoon. This seems to work after 3 or so spoonfulls.

:hug:

10. Soph&Bump

Soph&Bump Well-Known Member

Lola gets hiccups a lot and for quite a while, too. I really feel for her when she has them as they come so thick and fast. But the MW didn't seem to think they were a problem. She has sometimes had them when lying down but as someone else just said they can cause reflux I think I'll make an effort to make sure she's more upright.

Anyone know when they grow out of them?

11. history_girls

history_girls Mummy to 2 Girlies

Phoebe is the hiccup queen and used to get very unhappy! We found two things work:
    1) Crainal Osteopathy - her squished neck was pressing on a nerve (expensive)
    2) Gripe Water - one teaspoon all gone! (cheap)

Since the osteopathy she has been a lot better and has them less often. i think they are supposed to grow out of them when their bodies get older!

12. Thedon

Thedon Well-Known Member

Lilly gets them a lot too, we give her some water through a bottle, a few big sculls usually does the trick

13. faille

faille Mummy & WTT

Violet is prone to getting hiccups too, always had them when I was pregnant!

She gets them quite deep as well sometimes and then she starts moaning.. Probably because they hurt. I know when I get them they can really hurt sometimes.

As above, a syringe of gripe water usually does the job of getting rid of them. I've also found that she'll get them if there's a burp we can't get up (isn't always the cause but I know if there's a burp I can't get up, it'll end in hiccups).

14. KarenN

KarenN Member

my sister used to BF her baby when she got the hiccups, and somehow it worked for her, but not for me. I do here what I do when she's having a hard time passing gas, stroke her tummy to warm it up. I can't help with the hiccups but I'm guessing that the way it makes her body shakes is a little painful.