High hcg but embryo too small

LouOscar01

Reaction score
I'm so confused right now...

My hcg seems to be quite high..at 28dpo it was 35,327 which seems to be 3x the normal hcg for a single pregnancy.

And yet my ultrasound showed a tiny fetus at 2mm instead of 5mm but with a heartbeat already which is early for such a small size.

Any ideas? Advice? Experience? :wacko:

My son was 2mm with a heartbeat at 5+4. Any chance you may be earlier than expected? That HCG is very high isn't it!

I have no idea about the hcg but in terms of the baby measuring small but with hb, they can be out by a few mm depending on how baby is lying and through human error. This link looks quite good:
https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-complications/early-fetal-development/

That hcg could be totally normal for 6 weeks or so LMO. Look how large the range is!

My bet is that the fetus is perfectly sized and maybe just more curled up than expected. My wee girl measured bang on at first scan (6 weeks with heartbeat seen on abdominal scan) then a week later she was measuring nearly two weeks bigger. She then apparently only grew by three days in a week. In the end it all evened out and she measured bang on from about 10 weeks.

Even in later pregnancy scan sizes can be way out, her lega were measuring nearly a month behind towards the end of my pregnancy but she was just a smaller baby. I honestly would try not to worry!

Maybe you're a few days behind where you thought? Or, scans can be off by 6 days either way and still be normal. I wouldn't use the hcg to determine how far along you may be bc there is such a huge range of normal. At 4w6d mine was already 18,764, which by reading online would have put me in the range for 6 weeks, but I wasn't. The following week I had a scan and she was bang on for my dates, not the hcg. Good luck, hun.

With DD2 mine was 29 000 at 4w6d but a scan put me at 5w6 days(i ovulated early and got my bfp at 8 dpo so I was expecting this). Embryo measured 2mm but no heartbeat. One week later sure enough there was a heartbeat and she's a very healthy 2 years old :winkwink: yours look totally normal and you're lucky to see a heartbeat that early :)

I think very early scans can be off. I had 2 early scans due to a bleed which agreed with each other (I thought I was 2 weeks later than they said but sac measured way too small however had a heartbeat), scan a week later agreed with the previous..

Went for what I thought was exactly 12 weeks scan (based on the 2 early scans) to be told baby was 13 weeks and 5 days, putting me back to my original dates!

Just had a scan today and I'm 6 days baby has grown to 9.5mm. So is measuring 7weeks, a day early now!! Phew!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->