high hcg - molar?

kosh

proud new mum!
Reaction score
i am almost 7 weeks and have on/off symptoms, mild nausea, heartburn, tiredness. mild AF type cramps but no spotting. i'd say the most noticeable thing is that i am extremely bloated.

i had a hCG done last week (just before 6 weeks) that came back at 41,500. the doc just called me to say he wants me to have an early scan as there is a chance it might be molar. :nope:

i was doing so well, and now i am sooo worried!

Oh Kosh! Hugs to you.. Hope everything turns out for the best for you!!!

Oh kosh - when is the scan? Hang in there until you know what is happening :hugs:

thanks garnet, storm :hugs:

i don't have a date for the scan yet, should be sometime next week.

i am a bit confused...bloods were taken in the evening of 5w+5d.
looking at the normal levels (which vary hugely anyway, see below), i should be at the high end (but still within) for 6w, but waaay over the limit for 5w.

how do you think these values have been measured? at exactly the x number of weeks??

3 weeks since LMP: 5 - 50 mIU/ml
4 weeks since LMP: 5 - 426 mIU/ml
5 weeks since LMP: 18 - 7,340 mIU/ml
6 weeks since LMP: 1,080 - 56,500 mIU/ml
7 – 8 weeks since LMP: 7,650 - 229,000 mIU/ml
9 – 12 weeks since LMP: 25,700 - 288,000 mIU/ml
13 – 16 weeks since LMP: 13,300 - 254,000 mIU/ml
17 – 24 weeks since LMP: 4,060 - 165,400 mIU/ml
25 – 40 weeks since LMP: 3,640 - 117,000 mIU/ml

I don't think you should panic just yet. I had my first drs appointment today - we don't get bloods done at all until your first scan at 10 to 12 weeks - so I have no idea whats going on inside me!

Hi Kosh, I had the same problem, my hcg was 80,000 at 7 weeks but hadn't doubled 2 days later but everything was ok on the scan and the docs said I just producing a lot of hcg, although rare this sort of reading is not unheard of! Good luck sweetie xx

I hope all turns out well for you hun! :hugs: Is there a chance your dates could be off? Have you had an early scan already with this pregnancy? If the dates are off, you could be a little further along than you think and that is why the numbers are higher, but still in range for a pregnancy that is a bit further along!

I hope your scan shows a healthy little babe growing in there, will be thinking of you!

Hi Kosh, I had the same problem, my hcg was 80,000 at 7 weeks but hadn't doubled 2 days later but everything was ok on the scan and the docs said I just producing a lot of hcg, although rare this sort of reading is not unheard of! Good luck sweetie xx

thanks!
did/do you have lots of symptoms?

I hope all turns out well for you hun! :hugs: Is there a chance your dates could be off? Have you had an early scan already with this pregnancy? If the dates are off, you could be a little further along than you think and that is why the numbers are higher, but still in range for a pregnancy that is a bit further along!

I hope your scan shows a healthy little babe growing in there, will be thinking of you!

i don't think my dates are off, as I was using opks etc. i think i Ov cd13, don't know if that would make a lot of difference?

i will have the scan sometime next week, so I guess that I just have to be patient and try to stay calm...

what makes them think it may be molar hun. it was ages ago when you had the bloods done so they've taken their time coming back .... and you actually wanted them doing again didn't you but they refused x

what makes them think it may be molar hun. it was ages ago when you had the bloods done so they've taken their time coming back .... and you actually wanted them doing again didn't you but they refused x

i know...at the time he said another blood test would not tell anything else, and that what was needed was an early scan (i've had an ectopic as well).
but today he seemed to be more concerned about the high hCG. he did say 'i know it is not in the 100,000 but just in case we better check it is not a mole'. don't know...he even got the MW to call me to arrange an appointment, is that common practice?

not sure but when i went to the gp for the first time yesterday they told me the midwife would contact me for my appointment with her so probably.

After I saw the GP today I too got told the midwife would contact me - she did and I don't even go to see them until im 16 weeks? Should get a scan and bloods done in the hospital at 10-12 weeks though...

After I saw the GP today I too got told the midwife would contact me - she did and I don't even go to see them until im 16 weeks? Should get a scan and bloods done in the hospital at 10-12 weeks though...

i thought the booking appointment with the MW was around 8weeks?

it depends when they can fit you in, they get so busy in my area that in my last pregnancy I was 10 weeks before I saw the MW. Hopefully it might be a bit earlier this time but who knows.

hope all is ok with you when you have your scan...the early days of pg & the hcg numbers can be such a worry..i was having tests every few days..mine started off low & got higher & higher but i had twins inside (ended up with vanishing twin thou) did he not mention twins ?? but was such a worrying time....really hope its not a molar pg for you as i know that can be so traumatic to experince but its good to see he is on ball & offering you an early scan....just try not to think worst just yet....

Yep so did I - but she said there was nothing she could tell me I wouldn't have googled already - and the dr checked my bp, breathing, abdomen etc.. so she said to come at 16 weeks after my 12 week scan so they could check the babys heartrate etc.. She did tell me to phone if I was concerned about anything or had any questions.

thanks!
did/do you have lots of symptoms?

God yes, horrendous morning sickness which only stopped when the doc prescribed me Prochlorperazine - worth asking for if you are suffering - safe to take while pregnant too :)
Very tender, sore and massively inflated boobies - they are only happy when I lie in the bath so they can bob about and do their own thing! lol
Skin has totally gone to the dogs - dry flakey patches and tons of spots - more than my 13 year old son....
I was also having a lot of pains either side of my stomach which doc thought may be ectopic / molar but turns out was just ligament pain.
Got an emergency appointment for a scan on the day of the royal wedding which confirmed a heartbeat which was all good and baby was fine as far as they could tell, got my 12 week and NFT scan on the 1st so fingers crossed everything ok there.
Have you had a scan date yet sweetie? xxx :hugs:

thanks mummymee, no, no date for the scan yet. but have an appointment with the MW on Monday.
strange thing is that for such a high level of hCG i have almost no symptoms! feel tired and have the occasional nausea, oh, and killing heartburn, but that's it :shrug:
anyway, i'll have to wait...

congratulations on your scan! i got my BFP that day too! :thumbup:

Yep so did I - but she said there was nothing she could tell me I wouldn't have googled already - and the dr checked my bp, breathing, abdomen etc.. so she said to come at 16 weeks after my 12 week scan so they could check the babys heartrate etc.. She did tell me to phone if I was concerned about anything or had any questions.

oh, i see.
i think you're much younger than me (i'm 40), and don't know what's your stand on this, but i received yesterday an NHS booklet with all the screening test etc etc. some of them should be done as early as week 8-10 I think, so maybe is worth having a look at that just in case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->