Higher m/c rates with PCOS but Metformin helps?

ByHisGrace08

Waiting to be family of 3
Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

Since I was dx with PCOS I have been doing lots of research on the disease itself and also treatment plans that have been tried. Lately I have been really focused on rates of m/c and what is being done to combat it.

I have had two m/c one when I was really young and honestly I only have really admitted it here on Bnb and once to my husband. The other m/c was when I was still young but I was engaged to my now husband and I am able to talk about it more.

So that got me to thinking why was I able to get pregnant but not stay pregnant twice is it the PCOS?? The research I found seems to be leading that way. The articles I have read claim there is a 30-50% chance on 1 tri m/c in women with PCOS. But that it can be combated with Metformin. The debate right now is stay on Metformin just until second tri or take it for whole pregnancy?

Studies have been done on abnormalities in babies born and there is no difference between babies where Mom took Metformin and babies where Mom didn’t take metformin. Also it doesn’t effect if babies are born pre term or past term.

So I am wondering who here has been on Clomid conceived only to m/c but when added metformin to Clomid conceived again and carried to term? How long did you stay on Metformin til 2 tri?

Or who was on Metformin conceived stopped metformin only to m/c but came back on Metformin stayed on Metformin until at least second tri and carried to term?

(if you have had a m/c please know my heart aches with you)

Sorry if this sounds like a science project but I am a Nursing Student and need to do some hands on research as my Dr. wants to move on to the next step in my TTC journey.

I firmly believe in being educated and your own advocate, luckily my PCP and OBGYN also support that theory.

Thank you,

Blessings & Babydust,

1x live birth on clomid only

1x miscarriage on metformin only

1x miscarriage on clomid and metformin.

It could also be VERY early GD. With my 2nd pregnancy I was concerned because I had BS readings of 150+ after eating. The dr told me it was fine. The baby died right after my GTT (done very early that pregnancy). With my twins I was diagnosed with GD requiring insulin at 8 weeks from home readings following a GD diet. They were high enough to cause the baby to possibly become hypoxic. (Part of PCOS is typically insulin resistance which is what the Metformin addresses.) I was on Metformin for the twins as well. The MFM hated that I was taking it; the endo wanted me on it the whole pregnancy because of my stillbirth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->