HIPP combiotic anyone else using?

Shineystar

Married Mum of LG, TTC2
Reaction score
I have ordered this today from the online shop.

After seeing lots of reviews about it helping with gas and making BM's more regular decided to give it a go - LO is struggling to poop, she goes every other day, and yesterday she was straining and screaming for 5 hrs to get the poop all out. It was horrible for her :cry:

So I was looking at pro biotics to help, then discovered this milk and wanted to slap myself for not coming across it before. I myself have IBS and I'm lactose intolerant so if i had researched properly I would have got this milk for Amy, giving her a wee helping hand in the digestion department cant hurt!

Anyway I'm looking for tips in making up the formula, as I'm aware its to be done to 40-50 degrees. Do you check the temp with a thermometer? I don't want to waste the good bacteria!
What i do now is make the bottle up, and put 2oz boiled water in and fridge it. Then when its feeding time I boil kettle with fresh water and add the remaining 2oz. I wonder if this would make it too hot..

Also Ive some cow and gate pre mixed cartons in the cupboard, do you think it would be ok to give her one of those a day to use them up? I might use them for the night feed.

I think LO has a wee cold too, she has been making all sorts of snorty spluttery noises overnight & she has started to spit up after every feed - not a huge amount but maybe 20mls. It comes up when she does a big burp! So I hope the probiotics help shift the cold as I dont think I can give her anything yet :(

Sorry Ive gone off on a tangent as usual... :dohh:

Poor little ds has been on so many milks in his short little life. But he's always most contented on hipp - less windy, poops easier but his reflux gets a little worse.

I think hipp sell a thermometer to check the water temperature. I mix 2/3 hot to 1/3 chilled boiled water (or half and half) but I use flasks rather than fresh boiled hot. This makes bottles that are warm but ready to drink, so probably cooler than 40-50 degrees. I know some ladies here just make it with room temperature (which I do when out and about, but as we're on infant gaviscon warmer is better to help it dissolve).

If she's in cow and gate and you want to use them up you could slowly mix one bottle c&g and one hipp for a bit, slowly withdrawing c&g.

Hope your lo feels better soon.

thank you, do you mean do alternate bottles until the C&G is used up?

Im away to look for a thermometer now thanks!

Glad to hear it helped your LO's gas! Was he refluxy after every feed?

I dont think you need a thermometer if your doing the half boiling and half cold water thing, it'll definitely be below 50 if its the right temp to drink.

That's what I meant. Or you could do alternate bottles one day then 2 hipp, 1 c&g the next etc.

He really suffers with acid reflux poor thing, hence all the chopping and changing of formula. Hes still windy but copes far better with hipp in his system. We even get nice moments where he's not screaming when he's on hipp (rare though!).

ok thanks!

aww the wee soul, glad you have had some improvement!

I had no idea this would all be so tricky! wish i had been able to stick with the BF :(

roll on weaning eh!!

The water doesnt have to be 40-50c exactly at all. This is just a good temperature to help the powder dissolve quicker and more effectively.
We will be using Combiotic with the new baby when she arrives. So I emailed Hipp asking if it was ok to boil water, fill a days worth of bottles, leave on the side so they cool to room temp, and then just add the powder to the room temp water just before baby needs a feed. They said this was fine but about how it might be easier to mix if the water was warm etc.
You defo dont need a thermometer. If the formula is being mixed with water less than 70c anyway then the powder wont be "sterilised" as per WHO guidelines so it doesnt matter if the water is 50c (which is still fairly hot), warm, room temp or freezing cold. 40-50c is advised purely for ease of mixing as far as Im aware. xxx

thanks skunkpixie that clears alot up. Good to know its more for the mixing than the sterilising part. Its probably worse with this milk to add the powder too hot than too cold then :)

The delivery came just as I was feeding LO, so next feed we will give it a go!

I also decided to try the no3 avent teat and she got on really well with it, no choking/spluttering and crying during the feed, plus she finished it really quickly :)

She did spit up a reasonable amount afterwards though. Ill need to keep an eye on that as she is doing it every feed now :(

I use Hipp with Eva. She was originally on SMA but had reflux and wind, so changed to HIpp, though also changed to Dr Brown's bottles and was prescribed gaviscon from GP, so hard to tell which made the difference, but I do think the Hipp made a good difference. Did you know you can get it in tesco instead of having to get it online? When Eva was on gaviscon I dissolved it with 1/3 boiled water and then mixed 2/3 cooled boiled water before adding the formula. Now she's off the gaviscon I just ding the cold water for 30 seconds in the microwave to take the chill off it and then add formula. When I'm out and about I just add it straight to room temperature water. :shrug:

I would also really recommend Dr Brown's bottles - really helped cut sown the amount of air Eva was taking in which helped a lot with wind as well as with the reflux.

Thanks mumtoeva - It was tesco online I got it with my food shopping :) but thanks!

I have ordered the storage tins from hipp direct as the box is a bit fiddly.

So far so good with the new milk. She took 5oz right away and def seems to like the taste so first hurdle overcome!

She isnt burping as much, but I wonder if she just doesn't have as much wind? It seems to all be coming out the other end during a feed (makes no sense i know)! I spend ages trying to burp her and just get a wee one. She doesn't moan so much when I lie her down after so i guess she just doesn't need to burp :)

Also she already had another poop this morning and the consistency is a better. It didn't seem so hard for her to pass it. I read that her poops might get more like BF nappies which is only good as they are much easier on her!

all good so far!!

I switched Millie onto Hipp because of bad constipation as I heard it's helped other babies and it has helped her so far. She now goes every other day, it's soft and she's no longer in pain. Her wind is a little better too and she seems to like the taste.

Don't premake bottles and put in the fridge with this formula, because it has to be made with lower temp water because of the friendly bacteria, it has to be discarded after 2 hours so harmful bacteria doesn't grow. Stock up on some cartons for out and about/night feeds.

Thanks coffeepuffin, Im doing the method where I put 3oz of boiled water in the fridge then when its feeding time i add 1-2oz of fresh boiled water then the powder. Its pretty much drinking temp when I do this and the quickest method Ive tried :)

Glad you found a formula that works for your LO, i remember you posting as you were having some problems!

My LO continues to fart loads without too much effort so that's good news :)

yep she is def back to 'going no2' at least once a day and she just seems less unsettled :)

Thanks coffeepuffin, Im doing the method where I put 3oz of boiled water in the fridge then when its feeding time i add 1-2oz of fresh boiled water then the powder. Its pretty much drinking temp when I do this and the quickest method Ive tried :)

Glad you found a formula that works for your LO, i remember you posting as you were having some problems!

My LO continues to fart loads without too much effort so that's good news :)

Oh, Amelia still trumps all day! But she is much more comfortable. I'm loving Hipp. Just a shame the packaging is crap.

I read somewhere that the packaging is like that to make it cheaper. I don't know if that is true! Maybe it's just because their an organic company so no plastic?
Either way I'm really pleased I picked this formula for my lo,.he goes once a day and seems really comfortable. His poo isn't drastically different from when he was getting breastmilk either.

indi84 - my LO is the same, she is still gassy but seems to suit her 'metabolism' better ;)

coffee puffin - i agree about the packaging, however i ordered the plastic storage tubs which fit one of the bags of powder, only thing is you dont have the scoop leveller on it

Well DD3 is just over a week old now and is loving Hipp.

She drinks it like a dream, anywhere between 2-4oz every 2.5-3.5 hours. Her poo is yellow, soft and "seedy", just like BF poo. The powder mixes fine with the room temp water and she is more than happy to drink it unheated. Also have had no wind problems as of yet. Yay for Hipp! xxx

aww congrats on your new arrival! and happy its all going well!! xx

indi84 - my LO is the same, she is still gassy but seems to suit her 'metabolism' better ;)

coffee puffin - i agree about the packaging, however i ordered the plastic storage tubs which fit one of the bags of powder, only thing is you dont have the scoop leveller on it

I can't work the scoop leveller corner without losing half the powder :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->