Hips Spreading, will they ever go back??

MissFish

Reaction score
Hey ladies, I am 9 weeks PP & have lost all my baby weight :happydance: BUTTTTTT-

The problem is, even though the number on the scale is my old weight, NONE of my clothes fit. I am wearing a Lrg or XL shirt, (used to be M) & am up 1-2 pant sizes :nope:

My pants pull up fine over legs etc, and once to my waist they are a good 3 inches from buttoning up. It's very upsetting. Yesterday I bought a pair of pants TWO sizes up & they still don't button. Also since I have to buy such large pants to accomodate my new giant hips they sag on my butt/thighs!

I understand I just gave birth etc, & I do have the jiggly jelly belly still so that's not helping clothes fit properly..but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had their hips spread so dramatically & did they go back eventually?? Even if it takes a year I would love to hear that they will go back! :wacko:

I would love to know this as NON of my old clothes fit me but I am well on my way to my pre preg weight?! I had to buy new jeans and they are still a bit tight?

Ps I also have some jelly belly advice DON'T DO SIT UPS! I have been going to a chiro since 26 weeks preg and apparently it makes the pooch bit on your belly worse as your muscles are still apart for a while.. Try scissor kicks and pelvis lifts etc xxx

I know the feeling my hips are really wide at the moment 3 weeks pp BUT i think they do improve. After my first child this happened too and they do go back a bit but it takes time and may always be a little wider than pre pregnancy, it took me 5 years after my first to get back to where i was happy with them then i got pregnant again........

it may of taken me so long though because i wasnt fussed with diet/exercise for the first 2 years

One of my very best friends had her hips spread during pregnancy too, also she had to wear her maternity pants for a while after birth because her pre-pregnancy pants wouldn't fit around her hips. She guessed her pant size would have gone from a 12 to 18 because of how wide they had gotten. After 3-4 months though she said she was finally able to get back into her pre-pregnancy pants though, so I am hopeful! You look petite like me, I normally wear a 4 in jeans but I am wearing my stretchy maternity pants still... I am noticing they are a little looser than normal in the past week though. I'm scared to see what size jeans I would wear so I'm going to wait and see how things are at the first of the year.

Congrats, Yari is gorgeous!

Thank u sideways!! Also I love you for thinking I'm petite! I'm 5'8" & wore a size 6-8 pre pregnancy.. The pants I bought the other day were a 13 & too tight :( I have hope now though! Anymore cases of shrinking hips?? LOL

Lol well you look great in your avatar pic!!! I read online last night that your joints loosen up during pregnancy and it can take 3-6 months for them to get back to normal (hence the reason for taking it easy with exercise during this timeframe). Hopefully that's when hips settle back down too! Aside from my hips being big, my wrists still hurt and my ring finger won't allow my wedding rings to fit...ahh the joys of pregnancy!!!

I never went back to my original size after baby was born, but it did take about 6 months to 'shrink' down as far as I was going to go in terms of hips. I went up a size, but really it was more about the cut/style of jeans for me. Instead of 'odd' sizes, I'm now in 'even' sizes, and the relaxed fit straight leg works better for me now than it had previously.

But really I think in part how much you 'shrink back' depends on what kind of shape you were in prior to being pregnant. I was underweight before my first, and as such I never did go all the way back to pre-pregnancy weight or size but in part that was on purpose to be healthier. With my second, I was a good weight, but I didn't quite drop all the baby weight - so this time around I plan on sticking to an exercise program a little better so I get back to optimal health. I'm just under 5'8", and my weight's been everwhere from 105 to 140 lbs - hoping to drop down to 130 or 125 by the 6 month mark :)

Also - as another poster said, don't start doing situps right away, even if you had a vaginal birth. Keep the situps for after you've started an exercise routine for a few weeks to give your abs a chance to settle back in their normal place :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->