holding her breath when crying

beckybumpbaby

pregnant and mummy!
Reaction score
my little girl has started to hold her breath till she passes out when she hurts herself, today she fell and banged her lip, cutting the bottom lip and passed out on my shoulder while i was trying to soothe her, its the most scariest thing EVER have taken her to the docs when it 1st hapened and he said its normal thing and to leave her to come round on her own, anyone elses little one do this? i dont know of anyone i just wondered how common it was and what u do when your little one does it?

thanks

my lo holds his breath in temper but i find it usefull to blow in his face and he hasnt passed out yet just try that see if it works hun

I've never heard of that! But it can't be good for her to pass out. I'd get a second opinion

yh my doc told me to leave him to pass out cus his brain will take over and tell him to breath but just by blowing in his face he has never got to the stage where he has passed out yet

I have heard of this. Apparently, my cousin used to do it. I think it's just a phase some go through? Very scary for you though. x

My LO used to do this, I really thought he was dead once it was so scary I just screamed and screamed, my mum came and took him off me and my sister called an ambulance, by the time the ambulance got there he was laughing at the ambulance driver - they took him to hospital just to be on the safe side and the doctor said it was just him holding his breath and made me feel like I was wasting his time - but I honestly have never been so scared in my life - we were told that if he does it again (which he did) to blow in his face and tickle his feet because this would make him take a breath of air - it worked, It's a very scarey thing to go through - hopefully your LO will grow out of it soon x

Amy used to do that as when she did get really upset, she got UPSET, and I agree with another post, blow in her face until it shocks her to stop. It can be scary as Amy used to start getting purple lips, but the blowing on her face helped. x

That is scary, I am surprised they can do that.. As someone else said their brain should take over and stop them before they pass out,

My LO does it as well, but not to the stage that he passes out. I find taking him to a mirror distracts him slightly from the pain and he breathes again.

I've heard of a few kids doing this too and it's not that uncommon. As soon as they do pass out they have no control over their breathing and their brain does take over - the time they are not breathing for isn't long enough to cause them any harm at all. Must be terrifying to have to watch though :hug: x

it is the scariest thing i have ever seen, i just feel useless as i blow in her face and all sorts but it has no effect i am taking her back for a second opinion soon though as she did it again last night when she cut her lip and was making really funny grunting noises while she was going grey and eyes were rolling in her hea looked like a little fit, of course i was crying she was passing out and it just was the longest 5 mins of my life so far.

i dont know if it can be something more sinister like a form of fitting etc... i really hope not but would rather get it checked out again, sometimes i feel the docs seem to fob you off sometimes until your persisitant on them finding out whats really behind it.

i was close to dialing 999 last night i must admit if my hubby hadnt been around i probably would have.

There's some information on it here...apparently it happens in around 1 in 20 children:

https://www.parenting.org/expiratoryapneabreathholdingspells.asp

https://www.drgreene.com/21_1039.html

thank you so much for that, it is exactly what she does and has made me a bit more confident in reading it, i have just printed it out and will give a copy to my mum and one for me incase she looks after her and she does it, thats the scary thing what to tell people if they look after her! when i dont have a clue!

thanks again for that really appreciate it. xx

Hiya,
Dunno how much help this is going to be but my mum was warning me about this in general conversation the other week.
Apparently, me and both my 2 brothers did this as young babies but not for the same reason as your little girl. We did it for attention when we wanted to be picked up, rather than when we had hurt ourselves like your LO.
Mum said that she just used to leave us and eventually we would scare ourselves out of it as we would run of of breath and the natuaral instincts kick in to take a breath after a few seconds or more.
Yours however sounds a bit different to that if shes actually passing out.. i recon the 2nd opinion for your own piece of mind would be a good idea as it must be the most worrying thing ever! i really hope it all gets sorted out for you xxx

my friends LO did that especially at nappy change time!! She blowed in his face and it worked! Good luck x

I used to do this and also if I laughed too much! My Mum said she'd be washing up in the kitchen listening to me playing happily in the next room then all quiet and I'd passed out! If Byron cries that hard I've always managed to get him to take a breath by blowing in his face, and then comes that almighty full-lung scream!

just to warn ya my little sister used to do this also and when she was 18 mnths they found out she needed her tonsils taking out because they were too big for her throat so i would get a second opinion and id aske them to take a look at his tonsils just to be safe xx

My neice does the same thing, blowing in her mouth usally stops her and she reagins her breathing again x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->