Holding their breath during a tantrum.....

taperjeangirl

Reaction score
Daisy hasn't done this yet but i know it is coming....

My other daughter (13) used to do this and it frightened the life out of anyone who saw it.
She would get so upset with herself during a tantrum that she would stop breathing, it was awful and could last up to 40 seconds.

We sometimes had to tip her up and pat her back quite hard to get her to take a breath......

She did grow out of it, but all this came flooding back to me last night when Daisy was crying, it all sounded exactly the same, she only held her breath for a few seconds but that's how it started with Gemma.

Does anyone elses LO's do this? I did mention it to my HV at the time and she said it was quite normal, frightening but normal.

:cry:

yea my daughter does this aswell when she's really REALLy upset. I just blow gently in her face and within seconds she takes a breath. It is scary isn't it? Her little face goes bright red aswell. I'm sure my heart skips a beat everytime!

My two year old does this and has since about 6 or 7 months. I also blow in her face, it makes them take a breath for some reason. It is scary but when I've asked her doctor about it he told me it's normal and though scary will not harm her as her body won't allow her to hold her breath to the point of hurting her. Hope your little one doesn't start it to much, I am still waiting for my princess to out grow it.

Thanks girls, I never thought of blowing in her face, it's good to know it's not just my girls! :hugs:

Yeha max dose this too , when he dose we know in about 3 seconds we will have an ear gutting screech lol

I used to do this! drove my parents nuts. Apparently I used to go purple. You'll be happy to know I've turned out just fine! (I hope you all agree lol)

yeah my Hollie does this but actually passes out, she only does it when hurt herself or occasionally during a paddy, she literally stops breathing for what seems like forever and no amount of blowing in her face, tipping her upside down or anything helps, i have been to gp about it and he said once she passes out to lay her in a safe place and walk away she will get her breath back naturally (i have not taken his advice lol)
it is really scary and she has done it so many times now you would think i would be used to it but im not! i know when its a bad cry because she starts thrusting her legs out like she is panicking, then her lips go blue then she passes out, usually with me holding her, she goes floppy like she is lifeless then screams like a newborn does when they take their first breath and then it takes a good 30 mins to calm her down, absolute nightmre! she has done it since being approx 15 months old, i used to do it too when i was younger and grew out of it when i was about 6 yrs old!!! dont think i can deal with it till then

some good advice i was given that worked once was to keep a spray bottle of water in each room, so if it happens you can spray them in the face, it shocks them back to life xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->