Home assessment?

pinkie77

Mum of four!
Reaction score
For my homebirth, tomorrow morning. Can anyone tell me what the m/w is actually coming for :dohh: It's a long time since I did this before lol

Thanks x x

Hi,

Mine came round and went through the disclaimers and possible problems i.e when I may have to be transferred to hospital and who would be there with me and also told me that if all the midwives are already out that I would have to go to hospital.

She had a look at my room and asked what I had prepared for the HB and suggested other things that I had forgotten i.e. bottled water incase I do feel I can drink from a glass. She also made sure that I had plans for my daughter while Im in labour and whether I wanted the jab to help with delivery of Placenta and vit k for bubba. I was really reassured as I feel like I'm in a hurry when I see her at the gps and this time I had her all to myself and in myhome so I could ask questions that I normally wouldn't.
Hope this helps and you get your home birth x

It depends on the area; in my old area they literally came; dropped off the kit and had a quick look around the lounge to check it was suitable. They made some suggestions of getting a shower curtain to protect surfaces (they suggested an old one; but others say only use a new one) but aside from that nothing else...

Hi,

Mine came round and went through the disclaimers and possible problems i.e when I may have to be transferred to hospital and who would be there with me and also told me that if all the midwives are already out that I would have to go to hospital.

She had a look at my room and asked what I had prepared for the HB and suggested other things that I had forgotten i.e. bottled water incase I do feel I can drink from a glass. She also made sure that I had plans for my daughter while Im in labour and whether I wanted the jab to help with delivery of Placenta and vit k for bubba. I was really reassured as I feel like I'm in a hurry when I see her at the gps and this time I had her all to myself and in myhome so I could ask questions that I normally wouldn't.
Hope this helps and you get your home birth x

Just wanted to comment if a midwife tells you this at any time you need to be confident enough to tell them you won't except that. That you have given them ample time to let them know you are having a home birth and that it is their job to provide you with a midwife. They are required by law to provide one. If they leave you to deliver at home without one and anything were to happen they would be held accountable.

Thanks ladies! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

I guess I'm mostly worrying that the m/w might take exception to my pets or that my bathroom is upstairs and bedroom downstairs - probably being daft lol

Thanks ladies! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

I guess I'm mostly worrying that the m/w might take exception to my pets or that my bathroom is upstairs and bedroom downstairs - probably being daft lol

Your pets will still be there when your baby is born wont they?!!

i asked my MW (who is also a friend) is she'd be running her fingers along the shelves for dust..... :lol: She told me she's delivered babies in houses that hadnt been cleaning in yonks but it was their home and their 'muck' so it doesnt matter. She also delivered a baby in a bedroom where a pet snake was slithering around the room so cats and dogs (mine were present at mine too!) are pretty tame in comparison!!

Your pets will still be there when your baby is born wont they?!!

i asked my MW (who is also a friend) is she'd be running her fingers along the shelves for dust..... :lol: She told me she's delivered babies in houses that hadnt been cleaning in yonks but it was their home and their 'muck' so it doesnt matter. She also delivered a baby in a bedroom where a pet snake was slithering around the room so cats and dogs (mine were present at mine too!) are pretty tame in comparison!!

That made me laugh! I know I'm worrying about daft things, it's these ruddy hormones again :dohh: And no, nothing as exotic as a snake but we do have a giant african land snail which has got to be one of the most boring pets ever. At least it doesn't need much attention, unlike the cats, dog, hamsters, rabbit, gerbils and chinchillas - oh and the kids!

Sounds like a fun house!! The baby will have lots to look at! Even if the big snail is a little boring :rofl:

That made me laugh! I know I'm worrying about daft things, it's these ruddy hormones again :dohh: And no, nothing as exotic as a snake but we do have a giant african land snail which has got to be one of the most boring pets ever. At least it doesn't need much attention, unlike the cats, dog, hamsters, rabbit, gerbils and chinchillas - oh and the kids!

The name makes it sound so exotic!

I would say the snail is ever so slightly more interesting than a pet rock lol, but not much!

Anyway, m/w has been and gone and I'm all booked in for my homebirth :happydance: Everything's fine and I was stressing over nothing, which I knew of course but it doesn't seem to stop me doing it :dohh: Thanks for the reassurances though, it did help x x

So in - erm not many weeks actually - we're all systems go!

My midwife hasn't mentioned anything about a home visit! I asked her at my last antinatal appt at how many weeks I'll be getting my homebirth kit, and she said 'oh we dont send them out in advance, which ever midwife is on duty will bring it with her when you're in labour... we'll book you a double antinatal appt at 34wks so we have time to do a birth plan'!

From reading on here, I think all areas are different. Last time I don't think I had a home visit as such but my m/w only lived around the corner and popped in for a coffee a few times lol, she was lovely.

I found this last appointment a lot better than all the rest I've had tbh as when you're in the clinic you do feel like you're on a conveyor belt iykwim. At home you're more relaxed and I remembered to ask her a few things that I kept forgetting. Back to the regular appointments next week though :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->