home birth after 2 c-sections

Amanda91

Reaction score
I had c-sections with both of my children, the first (my son) was for "failure to progress" i couldnt dilate past 4cm (induced at 40 1/2 weeks) and my second child (my daughter) we were trying for a vbac but ended up an emergency c-section because my doctor wanted to prevent any issues from coming up.. with my daughter i also didnt dilate but wasnt giving the chance to labor on my own.. with my next child (not pregnant now but ttc soon) im really wanting a peaceful home-birth, has it been known for moms to have a successful home-birth after TWO c-section? i need help and advice!! i also live in alaska so im not positive on the birthing laws here

It's definitely possible, you will just have to find a midwife willing to attend. You can inquire with CPMs in your area to see whether they will attend your birth at home. Some will meet with you before you conceive, so that would probably be your best bet. :)

I have no experience of a VBAC but I'm sure you will find other ladies who have. I know the risks are not as high as most people think even after 2 CS and plenty of women have done it. Obviously there is still a risk so you need to reseach that and decide if it's some thing you are comfortable with. One important factor is how long ago the cs were. The longer you have to heal the better.

On the legal side: I do not know about birth laws where you live. In general they can't stop you from having a birth at home, it's basic human rights, your body, your choice. Some places the laws about MWs attending births are more tricky. Even in places that there is no legal problem finding an independent MW is not always easy, so start looking right away if you are considering it. Where I live home birth is not common and although we started looking early I was about 30 weeks by the time we found a MW. The first few we found were not available.

Out of interest how long were you allowed to labour before a cs? Some women seem medically unable to dilate but that is very rare. I had a lovely HB experience but my labour was long. I got 'stuck' at 6cm for many hrs and there was talk of being transfered to hospital but my body got there on it's oi wn in the end. I was quite insistant I didn't want to go to hospital as long as the baby was not in distress and I was still coping. I feel like being at home was key to having a natural birth as if I had been at hospital I would have been under pressure to accept interventions. Also being relaxed and staying mobile were important for me to cope and for the labour to progress. Of course if the baby had shown signs of distress that would be different but her heartbeat was very stable. I believe that the long labour was actually easier on her because interventions like breaking the waters (which we did do in the end but only late in the labour) or augmenting the labour can put a lot of stress on the baby.

with my first pregnancy i was in labor for about 14 hours and with my daughter under 4 hours =( the doctor made the choice for me and i had no say in it =(

You ALWAYS have a choice! Even in labour, even if the doctor says you "have to" do something, you have a choice! You have a right to inquire the reasons, ask for a list of risks and benefits, and decide against something. You can even go home. Lots of OBs like to act like they have the power to decide something about your body, even if you don't consent, but it's not true. Just keep that in mind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->