• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Home birth after C-Section?

Lola_0106

Mum to 1 & WWT for #2
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm not planning to have my second baby just yet but have been thinking a lot about the birth of my next baby and would like to feel at peace with my decision before I consider TTC again.

I had severe back pain with my last baby due to existing back problems and him being back-to-back. Because of this I had sweeps from 38 weeks and my waters broke at 39. I didn't go in to labour so had to be induced. This resulted in a C-Section due to failure to progress past 9cm. Overall it was nothing like what I had wanted. I feel the C-Section was due to baby not being ready to be born and being pretty much evicted!

I am considering giving birth at home next time, or at least a natural birth in hospital, has anyone here ever had a home birth after a C-Section? Would you mind sharing your experiences? I can't shake the fear of uterine rupture at the moment, it would take around 25 minutes to get to hospital.

Thank you! x

I had hoped to have a homebirth with DS, but I got pre-eclampsia and ended up with a lengthy failed induction and then a EMCS. Not at all my plan.

I believe it is acceptable in the UK to do a VBAC at home, unfortunately it is not legal for a midwife to attend a homebirth VBAC in my state, so you can either a) go at it yourself, or b) get a midwife who is willing to break the rules or is unregistered. Not exactly ideal. And because I live 20 minutes from the hospital, and 20 minutes not including OR prep and all that, in the case that something bad does happen....not worth the risk.

I'll be doing my VBAC in the hospital. Now, if I have a successful VBAC in the hospital this time, I will probably consider homebirth for the next one, after my sewn up uterus has proven itself in labor, you see....lol

I'm in the UK, didn't know midwives couldn't attend in US. Definitely would pick hospital if that was the case here, not brave enough to do it all myself! Hope it all goes to plan for you! x

I'm in the UK, didn't know midwives couldn't attend in US. Definitely would pick hospital if that was the case here, not brave enough to do it all myself! Hope it all goes to plan for you! x

It is decided on a state by state basis. In the state next to mine, I might be able to get it (if it was just a VBAC after complication free term birth, sure, but after preterm preeclampsia birth...), the state on the other side of me has no laws regulating midwives, so there are no safety protocols in place either.

Check out these stats: for a first VBAC, you have a 63% chance of a successful VBAC and the risk of uterine rupture is only 0.87%.
Compared to your alternative, a second c-section, you have a 4.3% risk of major complications. People worry about uterine rupture, but it's soooo rare.
I know a few people who have had great home VBAC experiences -- just try to find a great, supportive midwife! :)
Oh, and if your waters go and labour doesn't start, there doesn't need to be a time limit to labour. An alternative to induction is just waiting it out, avoiding baths and other things that might cause infections, taking extra vitamin C and other supplements that help prevent infection, and taking your temperature several times a day to monitor.

Attachments

• 10849771_10152961142307704_8094838801507244867_n.jpg
    10849771_10152961142307704_8094838801507244867_n.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 8
Thank you! I thought I was so clued up last time but looking back I realise I wasn't in the slightest! So pleased I know where to go for support for the next time round! Hopefully things will all go as I hope, those stats are really reassuring!

If you decide for a hospital VBAC its worth to go over the hospital policy for VBAC on things like monitoring and time limmits. Being stuck to a monitor, lying on your back and being 'alowed' a very limited time for labour to progress before stepping in with another CS can greatly reduce your chances of success. Its good to be informed and know what you are comfortable with so that you can feel confident to speek up and ask for something different, like more freedom to move around, or a bit longer for labour to develop on its own, if you think its a better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->