Home Birth and Apartments

sierra19

Reaction score
I am having a home birth, but I need some advise about how to inform my neighbors and when is the appropriate time to inform them? I live in an apartment complex-its a smaller complex, we have adjoining walls with 5 other apartments...should I inform more than just those 5?

Totally upto you really?
If you feel comfortable talking to them about it then I would.
It could help them understand why there are lots of people coming round your house at 3 in the morning, so they don't think you are having some sort of party with strange noises! Or it may stop them coming knocking on the door to check to see if you are alright, if they hear something going bump in the night.
As for when to tell them - You could do it now. Don't wait until you are in labour. Let them know your estimated delivery date.. so they know what weeks you might be in labour.
It could also help you to organise any potential parking problems your MWs migth have. Some blocks have very limited parking.
XxX

See, it may just be me, but I'm of the opinion that it's just not their business. If I was intending to throw a bit New Years Eve party or something where people will be there until 3-4am I wouldn't send them a letter. And my guess is that would be much louder than a birth. Most people are asleep at 3am anyways so probably won't even notice people coming to your place. Not to mention if you had a baby say in hospital would you send them a letter saying you now have a baby? Because those cries at 2am could be far louder than anything you may come out with it.

Now if you get on with your neighbours and talk to them regularly then yea I would let them know, but all I know is in my complex if I were to say anything all it would do is get people's backs up and start complaining about things that aren't even their business.

Why do you feel you need to inform them? I dont think it's any of their business TBH :)

See, it may just be me, but I'm of the opinion that it's just not their business. If I was intending to throw a bit New Years Eve party or something where people will be there until 3-4am I wouldn't send them a letter. And my guess is that would be much louder than a birth. Most people are asleep at 3am anyways so probably won't even notice people coming to your place. Not to mention if you had a baby say in hospital would you send them a letter saying you now have a baby? Because those cries at 2am could be far louder than anything you may come out with it.

Now if you get on with your neighbours and talk to them regularly then yea I would let them know, but all I know is in my complex if I were to say anything all it would do is get people's backs up and start complaining about things that aren't even their business.

I agree with everything you said.

We have three neighbours we intend to inform - mainly because I generally get a bit annoyed when they roll in drunk at 4am and bang all the doors when OH is working earlies, so the comings and goings and potentially strange noises coming from our otherwise peaceful flat may lead them to wonder what's going on!!

They're only the very adjacent neighbours though, and I'll probably send OH round to explain face to face just a couple of days before, or even just as you're starting off. Not much point doing it before then as they'll probably forget. If they're out, you could leave a note.

Quite lucky here, the lovely, supportive midwife who did my booking appointment is the mother of our over the hall neighbour - with a bit of luck she'll be visiting when it all kicks off and I'll have someone with me I know and like!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->