• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Home birth chance looking less likely

Lizzybee

Mom to 1, StepMum to 1
Reaction score
41 weeks today, 3rd attempt at sweep. Had some contractions yesterday and through night. Cervix is 50% effaced and closed. Head is not fully engaged. Induction is booked for 17th. I have 5 days to get this thing going but the signs are not in my favour. Im really scared about the induction as I know the pain is more intense and my mobility will be reduced by the regular monitoring. If I cant move round I know I will be a whimp.
I have tried all the suggestions for getting labour going. I feel pretty down right now :(

Have you tried reflexology? Or a massage? I don't personally believe all the induction things really work unless it's about to start anyway, they just speed it up. But if time isn't on your side, there's no harm in trying. Two friends of mine when into labour within 12 hours of having reflexology. I also had a massage (releases lots of oxytoxin, also why it's recommended in labour too) the day before I had my daughter. Realistically, I do think things were starting for me already anyway as I was losing my mucus plug that day (though didn't really know that's what it was). I was only 37 weeks so not trying to start anything, just wanted a spa day, but my waters broke about 12 hours after the massage and my daughter was here 12 hours after that. It's worth trying. If nothing else, you deserve some relaxation right now and de-stressing will do you good.

Also, if it reassures you that things really can start and happen quickly. I never had any BH or contractions before waters went and my daughter also wasn't engaged at my last appt. Some babies just don't engage until labour.

Don't give up yet! I hated the pressure at that stage of pregnancy. I think it's a bit unfair because a huge number of first time mums go over 41 weeks but few make it past 42 weeks but no one seems to talk about anything but induction after 40 weeks! Don't forget just because your iduction is booked it doesn't me an you have to go through with it. You can always decide to wait a couple more days and ask for monitoring if you don't feel induction is the right choice for you and the baby. Where I live induction at 41 weeks is standard but I chose to wait and went into labour on my own and had LO 10 days past my due date.

You can always turn down induction and opt for monitoring instead to give yourself the best chance to go naturally x

Induction has to be something you consent to, if you prefer to wait longer then refuse and opt for monitoring instead. Plenty of ladies have had successful hb after 42 weeks even :) xx

Just to say thanks for everyone who replied to this. My HB started on 16th at 7pm went SROM. Checked by hosp and sent home. Regular painful contractions continued and I called at 4am with intense presure and the contractions were 5min apart 1.40 in length. Found i was only 1cm dilated. :( . I was transfered in because fhr was dipping. At hosp this was the same. More monitoring and still only dilated to 2cm 17 hours after SROM meant that emcs happened. But we are both fine and home now.

Hope it goes well for anyone planning HB.

Sorry you didn't get your home birth but glad you and LO are okay, and congratulations!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->