Home birth discussed-high bmi.

MrsKTB

Mummy to Henry
Reaction score
So, I saw my midwife yesterday...a week earlier than due to (fell down the stairs, ouch) and brought up that I'd like a home birth. My bmi is slightly higher than they'd like, at 36, so I have to wait until 34 weeks, see how my BP is between now and then, if its ok, book in with a consultant t the hospital for a chat and to (hopefully) be given the ok.

Has anyone else with a bmi over 35 had a home birth?

my BMI was 36 and from 12 weeks i was accepted as a homebirth patient. i saw the sheet they completed that tells them the risk based on your cirumstances.

i had a BMI of 36 and a history of Deep Vein Thrombosis and they allowed me to still go for a home water birth. they didnt even mention my weight at any point during my pregnancy.

unfortunately i didnt get my homebirth but fingers crossed you get yours. xx

It will probably depend on the doctor MW you get, some will be fine about it, others, not so much. If they say you can't have a home birth and you feel they are being unreasonable you can still say you want one anyway, they can't refuse it.

I believe mine was 35.5 or maybe it was 36.5...can't remember exactly but i had a HB and i dont feel that my weight interfered at all...kind of a rediculous notion imo, just pertaining to weight itself. I also had an unmedicated hospital birth with my first. Which despite him being face up and a long labor i needed no interventions. I know that wasn't a HB but just pointing out that again my BMI was high and it didn't cause issues. I could see if there were real health factors going on, but this idea that weight alone puts a person at risk is truly wack to me.

My mw was very supportive, said that I'd be a great candidate for it. Like you, I had my first in hospital, unmediated...but he was breech...my labour was 2.5 hrs.....that should help my case....I may not make the hospital in time anyway :)

Speak to SOM if midwife is funny about it. Just like in any profession some are more wary about certain things than others. Good luck hope your get your HB :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->