Home birth for first baby?

mamawannabee

Natural Mama/WTT #2
Reaction score
This will be my third pregnancy, first birth however (first 2 were mc early). I have posted a couple times on this board and have gotten wonderful support from all of you! I have emailed a local midwife who does homebirths and want to talk to some other ladies before deciding one way or another. Has anyone had a homebirth for their first birth? And if so, did you think it was the right experience for you?

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Alex was my first baby and I had a home water birth! It was definitely the best decision I ever made. I really wanted a water birth and the only way I could "guarantee" this was to birth at home. My birth story is in my siggy if you want to read it. x

Do it!! :) Haven't had mine yet, but nearly there with my first baby and have had no problems booking it or planning it with being my first. They say the first is actually the best to have at home, as you do tend to labour slower than second or more timers (obviously is all relative!), so you're more relaxed at home in your own space and presumably less likely to have a precipitate labour where if anything did go wrong, it'd be too quick for you to get to hospital if necessary... best of luck!!

I did not have a homebirth with my first, but I know many women who have.

I would recommend it!!!

There are lots of reasons, even when you put aside all the great benefits of being at home for any birth....
but being specific about first birth - it is easier in some ways to arrange a home birth with your first! That might seem different from some of the anecdotal things that you have heard, i.e " I didn't think they allowed you with your first?", “How will you know what it is like, and how you will react?" or maybe some women think with there first, they would “love to have a home birth, but will plan a hospital birth for their first, and then, if that is ok - they will have a home birth with their second. You might encounter all these things.

The reasons are:
1 - Most births are normal, they do not require any interventions, and women who are “allowed to” labour and deliver as they wish and do, not only have a positive experience, but a healthier one.
2 - You don't have any obstetric history - You should rightly expect this birth to be straight forward. It might sound a bit hippy, but you don‘t have any reasons to doubt the wonderful design of your body and have nothing but faith in it! There are lots of the ladies on here planning a home birth for subsequent children, which even though every pregnancy, labour and birth may be very different - are more determined (rightly so), to connect/understand and forgive their bodies, assert their feelings and rights,. So apparent “issues” like, a previous c-section, a post partum haemorrhage, having had an assisted delivery etc = these things shouldn’t matter - it’s ALRIGHT to plan for a normal birth; after all it is normal!
3 - Following on from 2 really, is that you don’t have any physiological demons to get through or how in some areas, medical policy can vary wildly, and previous history maybe put up as barriers to what your body will want to do instinctively.
4 - Also having had a first birth experience that is a positive one, will put on you on the right path to a successful and fulfilling second birth - you just won’t be able to imagine it another way. It will be instinctive for you NOT to let any fears enter into your mind.

Honestly I could go on and on, but you should be comfortable with your choice of care. The ultimate question for you is if you could imagine your perfect birth, what would it look, feel and smell like? Where do you think you would be more comfortable? Because I certainly wouldn’t be recommending a home birth (which is medically supported the same as a birthing centre with MWs, it is important to point out) to a women who was more comforted by the notion and options of an obstetric lead unit.

Also it is important to highlight that you can change your mind where you would like to give birth right into labour.. Being “booked for PARTICULAR care system, doesn’t give you a time and a place.. It is only there as a heads up for your healthcare provision - you can change your mind either way; Home to hospital, hospital to home

Choice is the ultimate keY to all this
XxX

Thank you for all of your support ladies! I have contacted a midwife and will be meeting with her sometime soon to discuss this. I am a little nervous about it just because I am so far from the hospital, it would take us 45 minutes to get there if anything were to go wrong. If it wasn't for that I would be definitely choosing home birth. However I think it is what we will ultimately go with. It just seems like the most comfortable option for me to be home, birthing in a place I am familiar with, without people running in and out of the room all the time.

Gotta run, but the answer is yes, and yes!!

I had my first at home and I think it was absolutely the right experience. Not just the birth experience, but it was such a wonderful way to begin our lives as a family. It was such a tender, intimate, awe-inspiring experience for me and my OH. Our little girl was born just before dawn and we spent the whole next day tucked into our own bed, the 3 of us. :cloud9:

good luck with your decision. I am hoping for one this time around but not pinning my hopes on it as previous two births were induced due to preecclampsia : (

I think as long as you are low risk, have a healthy pregnancy and a competent mw then it would be fine. Most times a MW will be able to tell well in advance if there is signs of thigns not going well.

Right, now I actually have a few minutes to answer properly!

My house was being rennovated the whole time I was pregnant, so it was really hit or miss whether I would be able to have my baby at home.

I didn't really want to go to hospital, as I had this horrible vision of making the 45 minute trip over there, to be told I wasn't far enough along and be sent home again.
My mum's labours with us 3 were quite long winded and according to her, really hard going, so I was expecting the same and decided i'd rather go through that at home than pacing a labour ward!

Well when it actually came down to it, my waters broke at about 4:30am and I was getting cramps and a constant dull ache straight away.
By the time the midwife came to check me at 9:30am, I was unable to talk through contractions and was almost fully dilated.
I have absolutely no idea when I would have gone to hospital, as they were so close together from the start and the pains got intense quite fast.

So I am extremely happy that I decided to stay at home. It was so relaxing and fun. I have never felt more calm! OH was able to be up and about making tea and bacon sarnies for the midwives etc so was just as calm.

A recommendation for you, is a labour TENS machine. The sensation between contractions wasn't very nice and I had to turn it down, but the booster button was brilliant when I was actually contracting. Put it on as soon as the pains start for best results, even if they're not that bad to begin with.

Also, I cannot say whether or not they helped,as this was my first baby, but I took raspberry leaf tea and then the capsules (which are pretty strong) and i'm sure this helped to make my contractions more effective.

One thing to add to this, is that I did suffer a bad tear and had to be transferred to hospital afterwards for repair under spinal.
Now if it hadn't been for this, everything would have been perfect but this kind of spoiled it for me.
I will definitelty be trying for another home birth next time....unless they tell me my baby is going to be enormous and I might have to spend another night in the hospital! But I am going to massage, massage, massage and avoid it at all costs!!! he he x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->