Home birth - gone hospital birht - gone emergency c-section: voila - baby Mark!

Wombat

Married mum of 2:)
Reaction score
Hi girls :)

Finally have few minutes between the feeds! Some of you might know that I was planning a home VBAC, well – it didn’t quite happen!

So, I’ll start from the start!

Part one: Sweepy-sweep!

On Tuesday, October 27 I have had my sweep. Really hoped it is going to work, so was very pleased that after it I started to loose my plug. By midnight it started to have bits of blood in it and I knew labour can’t be too far away.

In fact, by 6 am on Wednesday I started to get regular contractions! They do bloody hurt!

So, now coming to

Part two: Home birth!

I was so excited that I was able to have a home birth after C-section! Birth room was ready (well, dining room turned into birth room), including the pool, oils, candles and all the stuff.

By 9 am I was having regular contractions five minutes apart – so rang the hospital and they sent the midwife in. After 20 minutes she arrived and I thought that she was the actual midwife for my labour. Well – wrong!
She kept banging on that “Simon” would come shortly. Me being in labour I slightly thought that she actually meant “Simone”. So, I was slightly shocked when SimoN (no e) arrived! So instead of a midwife I got a midman! :dohh::blush: :D
And yes, he is the one who does ALL the examinations! Internal ones too! :blush: But by that time I didn’t really care.
Anyway, when he arrived I was STILL just one cm dilated! The same as yesterday during the sweep! :dohh::dohh::dohh:
So he told me to carry on and ring him when I’ll feel like I need some gas and air.
Was having the contractions all day long... When I moved about they were coming like clockwork every five minutes lasting anywhere from a minute to 90 seconds.
By 4 pm I was getting really tired and the contractions got more painful, so I rang Simon for pain relief.
But, when he arrived and did an internal I was STILL just one cm dilated!!! After 12 hours!
So he advised me to go to hospital and that there they might break my waters to speed things up.

I was quite worried by this time (taking into account my previous C-section) and didn’t want to risk anything, so we went to the hospital.

Part three. Hospital and induction and lovely gas and air.

When I arrived they monitored me for 20 mins – everything was ok, but contractions sort of died out back to 10-15 minutes apart.
I was really disappointed.
Decided to go for a walk to speed things up! Probably did a couple of miles :dohh: Came back (I think it was around 8 or 9 pm) and I got to 3½ cm.
Was quite pleased and thought that finally things are moving on!
Went again for a walk, contractions still five mins apart. Didn’t make it far this time and decide to go for gas and air!
Which was gooooooooooooooood! After that just stayed in the room and tried to be upright all the time and also bounce on a ball.

Me being such a good girl and contractions hurting like hell I thought that surely by next exam I would be around 6 cm dilated and hopefully my baby boy would be born by morning.
Well, wrong again! :growlmad::dohh: Had another internal – still 3 ½ cm!

So they concluded I am in first stage of labour and decided to leave me till the morning. Was given some sort of a sleeping pill and painkillers, so spent most of the night feeling like a zombie, but at least managed to get some sleep.

In the morning was finally examined by the consultant. STILL no progress with contractions STILL going strong! So was offered to have my waters broken and put on a drip.

By this time I was a bit desperate, so agreed and also agreed to epidural.
Putting epidural was a bit of a pain in the ass but was a real bliss! Felt no pain at all even with the syntocsin (sp?) drip in.

Contractions soon started coming 3 to 4 in 10 minutes. Threw up in the middle of this. So I thought – well, this is FINALLY it!
Wrong, AGAIN! With each contraction babies heartbeat went down a bit, so they started to get a bit worried.
At 2pm on Thursday had my final internal hoping I will be close to giving birth...
And I was just 4 ½ cm dilated! After what was it, 36 hours of labour!

Was really devastated....:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

So from that on, because of my previous c-section and babies heartbeat going down with each contraction another c-section was the only way for me...

Part four: C-section from hell!

As I had a very good c-section experience before I wasn’t really scared, just very upset that I have to have another one.

Had the dosage of stronger drugs in and was wheeled in theatre. My DH came with me.
After the extra drugs I started to shake quite violently. Was told it is ok by the anesthetist.

Things were going more or less ok. Just took them ages to get to the baby and get him out because he had cord wrapped around his neck 3!!! times! (Now I finally understood why labour wasn’t progressing. probably each time bubba wanted to come down he was stopped by the cord. So even if it was my first labour I would probably ended up the same...)
The shaking by this point more or less stopped.

They got him out screaming (THE BEST SOUND IN THE WORLD!), cleaned him and handed him to me.
I was soooooooooo happy!

But, soon afterwards I sort of started to feel really dizzy and remember telling my DH to take the baby because I am not feeling well.

And then it started!!! I again started to shake absolutely uncontrollably, started to pass out and vomit in the same time.
They got my DH away from me, also I remember hearing something like “she is going into something (v-fib??)” , usually being said on ER type shows when things aren’t too good for the patient!
Also remember some sort of a stupid nurse while I am throwing up actually asking me “are you sick”? No, I am not! I am just bloody enjoying all this and pretend to be throwing up for fun!

And also remember praying not to pass out and thinking that I am going to die and I don’t want to.

My poor DH was in the theater all the time (away from me). Later told me it was the worst time in his life seeing me like that.

Was given several injections of some sorts (I think there were 3) and eventually started to come back to my senses...

Well, to cut the story short I lost more then the pint of blood and my DH was later told by the anesthetist (while they were changing in the same place) that for a moment they were really worried about me...

Now I am back home recovering from bloody c-section!
Mark is an absolute star and is getting on with breastfeeding!

Thank you all for good wishes!:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

https://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc183/wombat57/Marksfirstday043.jpg

https://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc183/wombat57/Marksfirstday044.jpg

Bloody hell hon - how scary!!! Glad to know you are ok after all that and have to say that your little boy is just GORGEOUS!!

Congratulations.
xxxx

My goodness - your story has bought tears to my eyes. How scary. Well done to you and your DH and congratulations on little Mark, he's beautiful xxx

Sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted, but very glad you came out ok! Congrats on your LO, such a cutie!

Wow that was eventful, glad everything is ok now! Mark is absolutely gorgeous, congratulations! x

He is precious!! That hair! Oh, I want one with hair!!

Congratulations...he is absolutely gorgeous x

Congrats hun he's beautiful...scary stuff that c-section luv...so glad you're ok

awww look at his hair! cutie! i was just wondering hun ..u say u went into V-fib? was it the drugs that did this ? or just the effects of csect? just the docs are worryin my heart may go into this as its dodgy already :) thanks x

awww look at his hair! cutie! i was just wondering hun ..u say u went into V-fib? was it the drugs that did this ? or just the effects of csect? just the docs are worryin my heart may go into this as its dodgy already :) thanks x

Thanks hun:hugs:

I think it was the loss of blood. I had a spinal with my first (a c-section as well) and was absolutely fine :)

I think they gave me drugs to get me out of it...

Don't worry too much hun:hugs: I think the problem with the loss of blood was that I was in labour for so long so there was a large amount of blood around...

Thank you girls :hugs::hugs::hugs:

I have to tall you all that I was never as scared in my life.

Glad that everything went ok in the end :)

CONGRATS! Your little man is precious!

wow, talk about eventful! Your newborn looks a lot like your other son too :) congratulations :)

Congratulations sweetie! So sorry you didn't get the home birth you hoped for :hugs: but you did so well! Well done!! He is gorgeous! You must be so proud xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->