Home birth haters!

cosmicgirlxxx

Reaction score
This will be baby number 6, previous 5 babies all born in hospital and all with an epidural except 1 (left it too late!).
I have decided that this time I would like a home birth. I've bought a pool, informed the midwife and am busy listening to hypnobirthing CD's every chance that I get.
The problem is that none of my family are supportive of this idea. I had a previously traumatic twin delivery with vag birth/forceps/episiotomy for twin one and crash section with twin two for cord prolapse and arm presentation. I believe that this is what is scaring my family about a home birth - even though that was two births ago and a twin pregnancy!
When I mention it they say that I am joking, that I'm saying I want a home birth for a reaction and that its irresponsible to do it. I felt really good about this choice but they are ruining it.
Any advice?

I haven't had a home birth but I did have a birth in a midwife-led unit, which a few people expressed reservations about.

It did annoy me that people would say judgmental things like, "Why would you take that risk?!" and "You'll be screaming for an epidural and won't be able to have one" or "What happens if something goes wrong?" straight off the bat, rather than something neutral or supportive like, "Oh, why are you choosing that?" or "I don't know many people who've done that, why are you?" or "Do you have any concerns about what will happen if there's an emergency?"

Like, come on people, you've known me all my life... do I have a history of making crazy decisions?! (No.)

I would say try not to think of them as 'haters'. Remember that they do love you and want you and your baby to be safe.

If you are defensive about it, they will only have the impression furthered that it is an emotional or poorly-researched choice.

Just stay calm and confident in your research. If you personally feel good about it, then they can't ruin it for you. At the end of the day, it is your choice.

I simply wouldn't bring the subject up for discussion, and if it is brought up by them, just say, "My plans for a home birth haven't changed. I'm confident it's the best choice for me and my baby." If they kick off, tell them that while you're happy to talk to them about why that's your choice, if they're just going to criticise you or refuse to give you a fair hearing, then you're not interested in having the discussion.

Don't worry about them hun.
You have your home birth, i reckon it will be a wonderful birth. Have your emergency and birth plan in place so everyone can read it and feel more comfortable about it.
But at the end of the day it's got nothing to do with them. Do what you're comfortable doing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->