Home Birth or Hospital???

lil'giggles

Reaction score
Home birth or hospital birth???

I would like a home birth. My family is having a hard time with this concept. When my step mother gave birth she hemmoriged horribly, apparently the Dr's lost her and revived her and this is where my family draws concern if I were to have the baby at home... for the safety of the baby and myself.

Therefor we decided to have our midwife deliver our baby at the hospital. All natural, no drugs etc.

My girlfriend just sent me this link to watch... "The business of being born" it was amazing!!! Now... I REALLY want to have a home birth and know it's something I need to talk to my midwife more about...

I highly recommend watching this movie to help you with this thought process... https://quicksilverscreen.com/watch?video=45525

What are you choosing and why??? x0x

hospital - ive given birth before and know i need the epidural!!:thumbup:

Hospital - I'm having a c-section and they don't do those at home :D

Home - the type of hemorraghing your aunt likely experienced is VERY VERY rare and the survival rate isn't much, if any, higher in the hospital. The midwife carries most of the drugs that doctors would use to stop the bleeding. In almost all cases if you need to transfer for it you have plenty of time.

Personally, I don't want the interventions that are popular at hospitals here. A good many hospitals now have a C-section rate of 50% and an epidural rate of 90%. Also, I'd like the freedom to move around and try different birthing positions. There's the added bonus of not being stuck in the hospital for a few days, no risk of contracting staph infections (which are not uncommon in the only hospital in my area), not needing to worry about packing a bag, worrying about being able to breastfeed while in hospital, not having doctors and nurses in and out at all hours while trying to rest.... I could go on for a while.

Yes... there is quite the list. With my midwife apparently we would be able to leave the hospital as soon as an hour after delivery as the midwife will visit our home for check-ups. I am worried even with a midwife at the hospital I still wont be able to have the freedom that I feel that I should have without an OBGYN.

Absolutely the midwife is prepared for all precautions and has everything at her side if need be. I too do NOT want any interventions offered at the hospital.

I want my family to feel comfortable with this birth as much I feel about a home birth!

Thanks for your responces! You will all do amazing with your choices!!! x0x

I desire a homebirth & we're doing our research on it but it is likely out because it is illegal here. It's one thing to do something illegal at home but in a foreign country the prospect is a little scarier.

If we go with a hospital birth we are going in as prepared & informed as possible so we can prevent any interventions we know they're going to push. My ob already offered me an elective c-section (there is absolutely nothing to indicate I would need one for any reason at this point & this is my first)!!!! Insane!

If we go with a hospital birth we are going in as prepared & informed as possible so we can prevent any interventions we know they're going to push. My ob already offered me an elective c-section (there is absolutely nothing to indicate I would need one for any reason at this point & this is my first)!!!! Insane!

My doctor convinced me that I needed one because my daughter "was going to be over 10lbs". She was 8lb10oz. The hospital gave her a bottle right after her birth, which led to problems breastfeeding. Be prepared so you know what your options are. I pray that I can have a VBAC when we have another baby.

if you have a high pain threshold home birth but if not or if you have any complications then hospital it has to be

maybe meet in the middle and have your lil one in a midwife led hospital

im def hospital.... homebirth doesnt appeal to me at all!!! I will need some pain relief... and think my screaming may annoy everyone living in my building lol!! :)

It will be a hospital birth for me.
Due to complications after the birth of my daughter, I retained placenta and lost over 3 1/2 litres of blood and the realisation that if it had been a home birth chances are I wouldnt be here now. So for me the sensible choice is to be in hospital incase it happens again.

Mine will be hospital but the labour ward is called the "Home from Home" delivery suite. They have birthing pools, swings, balls, etc. etc. I'm actually quite looking forward to it cause I know unless there are problems, it'll be exactly like a home birth but in hospital (if that makes sense?).

MY OH's mum works in the neo natal unit and she has told me so many stories of home births that have gone wrong as she has to look after the poor babies that are quite often brain damaged from the fact that the ambulance took 20 minutes to arrive. I appreciate that she doesn't hear about the good home births, but for me I'll be in the birthing pool (fingers crossed in the local hospital!!!!

Well, despite the stories...im having a homebirth.

our grandparents did it easily enough...and it couldnt have been such a bad thing to do or we wouldnt be here!!!

ive already had 2 children, and the last being a totally natural birth. not even gas & air. so this time,instead of rushing to the hospital, im staying at home.
i hate wards anyway!

I hope to have a home birth this time around. Even though i had a great positive experience when i gave birth to my son in hospital, my husband was sent home an hour after the birth and wasn't allowed back till visiting time. This time i sort of know what to expect, although every birth is different, and I feel that giving birth at home and then snuggling up in our own bed with our new baby would be fantastic. Although if i was advised against a home birth i would go to hospital and come home again asap.

i am doing a hospital most likely a planned c-section. I had an emergency c-section with my last one and i am afraid of a VBAC.

After so much deliberation have decided on hospital. We are too young to plan it all and cope with the extra pressure that a home birth would bring - and its our first but I dont want a epidural and I want to leave asap and go home. This is right for us now but the next baby we will look at home birth options. Everyone is different I suppose.

i would really like a homebirth as i really dont like hospitals (bad experiance from m/c) but my oh and both of our families dont really want me to have 1 i dont no what to do but i think i woule be more stressed in hospital and feel i cant cope :(

Hospital!

Definitely.Home birth isn't at all appealing to me.
I definitely want an epidural and if it's needed,a c-section...

As for the film,I've seen it and franly I have an OB and I'm quite happy with it...

i would really like a homebirth as i really dont like hospitals (bad experiance from m/c) but my oh and both of our families dont really want me to have 1 i dont no what to do but i think i woule be more stressed in hospital and feel i cant cope :(

Get your OH to do some reading (www.homebirth.org.uk is a good place to start) and talk to him about how you feel. My OH wasn't too keen to begin with but I was firm and decided to educate him, and in the end he was 100% behind me. It's your right to labour and give birth in the way and the place that you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->