Home birth preparation help

Finsmummy

Mum to 2 boys
Reaction score
Hi ladies.

I am hoping for a nice home birth after a med-free 4 hour labour last time.

I dont have any info about what the midwives do to help you prepare for this or what equipment they bring and when etc.

Could somebody please tell me anything about this?

Thank you.

the homebirth kit differes on area

there should be a link somewhere with a list of what in general you will need

It depends where you are? For ex. my mw brought a kit round around 36weeks ish in a big yellow box. Then they brought more stuff on the day.

Truthfully, you already have everything you need to birth your baby. You have a pelvis, a cervix, etc. Everything else is gravy :flower:

It depends on where you are.

Some area have a kit delivered around 37 weeks some dont at all.

I didnt have a kit delivered, the MW brought everything she needed with her (except she forgot the Gas and Air mouthpieces LOL).

There a re a few threads with stuff to get but just think about all the things you'd want if you in labour anywhere (except you dont have to worry about food/snacks/clothes!) and then something to protect the place you labour - waterproof sheets/shower curtain and a bunch of towels.

You'll need an area for MW to check baby or do any helping if baby needs it so a place with a bright light and a change mat - also helpful so she can write her notes, and a torch incase she needs to give you any stitches.

You really dont need to go to a lot of fuss.

My midwife bought next to nothing, not even herself.. :haha: we dont get 'home birth kits' delivered in my area. When the midiwfe did finally turn up AFTER my birth, all she had with her was gas and air tank (not sure why, coz she knew I was going all natural again) scales to weigh baby, and her umbilical scissors, and a pot to put the placenta in for inspection!

OH even had to run up to the bathroom to fetch her some cotton wool, so she could wipe down there when she wanted to check for tears etc!

The only way you can be sure is by asking your community midwife I suppose! But like madasa said.. you already have everything you NEED! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->