• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Home birth vs Birth Center (not in hospital)

Mrs. and Mrs.

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm contemplating the difference of birthing in a stand alone birth center and a home birth.

The birth center I'm looking at doesn't really have anything that makes birthing "safer" there... it's more about amenities, really.
Also, you get whatever midwife is working. Downside, is that you might not get your favorite midwife. Upside is that you are guaranteed, 1,000% an available midwife. (Unless all the rooms are full?!)

Any who... what are your opinions? Home birth or birth center? How did you choose?

I chose birth centre for DS as it had birthing pools, birthing stools, and lots of other equipment to help with natural birth. It was attached to the hospital and I did end up having to transfer for failure to progress but they let me get on with it as long as possible.

This time I'm going for a home birth. I don't want a birthing pool this time as it didn't suit me but also I'm in a second floor flat and don't want the worry of hiring, inflating and filling the pool along with worrying about flooding my downstairs neighbours by accident, these were the main reasons I went for birth centre with my first. This time I know I'll be happier at home and it'll be more convenient, I also had a fast first stage with DS and was advised to stay home so I don't give birth in the car!

I've only ever had a home birth, but based on that, I would say that the benefits of the birth centre are that you will have less clean up to do and you won't have to faff around with the pool (assuming they have one and you want to use it). Basically, they have staff that do those sorts of things for you, whereas at home, you have to do more of it yourself (though the midwives do collect and bag up any medical waste and take it with them). The downside is that you have to actually drive to the birth centre, which can be uncomfortable or slow labour, and you don't have all the nice, relaxing, comforts of home. You also have to drive home after. If you're at home, you just curl up in bed and stay there.

For me, the choice to have a home birth was just about where I felt most comfortable and where I felt my wishes would be most respected. Personally, I didn't want lots of staff around and I laboured alone until I was just about 10cm and that's when I had the midwives come. I had that option at home, whereas I might not have had as much quiet and privacy in a birth centre. I also just really didn't want to have to leave my house, get in the car and drive anywhere in labour. I just wanted to get on with it. Another positive is that, in the UK at least, you are guaranteed a midwife to attend you at home. All this stuff about "we might not have enough staff to send someone to you at home" is complete rubbish. They are required to send someone to you. If there is no one there currently, they can call up a bank of on call midwives, including independent midwives who will be reimbursed by the NHS for attending you, if they need to. Their staffing shortage is not your problem and you can tell them that. If they know you know that, they'll get someone there, rather than argue with you. But you may not have that in a birth centre. If it's full, it's full. You'd have to go elsewhere. Or if all the rooms with pools are taken, you don't get a pool. At home, you get whatever you need, so you have more options.

As I see you're in the U.S., cost would probably also be a consideration. Though for many people, their insurance doesn't cover all of the costs of birth even in a hospital. If it ends up costing $45,000 because you need a c-section, and you have to pay 10%, that's still $4500. Whereas if you stayed at home, avoiding all those things that might lead to a c-section, you would pay a midwife $4500 for attending you there. So really might be about the same, if cost is something you're worried about.

Having had a home birth, I'll definitely be planning another next time. I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. But that's because it's what I feel most comfortable doing. I would be wherever YOU feel the most relaxed and comfortable.

Here is the US Midwifery is "new." I'm lucky to live in a town where our hospital staffs midwives, but those midwives are not allowed to attend births outside of the hospital.

There is no one to call, per se, if your independent midwife didn't show up. You'd just have to go to the hospital here. It's LEGAL to have a home birth, but there is no governmental unit supporting home births here. You just have to hire a private midwife. Fortunately, a lot of insurance companies will work with midwives to help get a chunk of your care covered.

I like the fancy amenities of the birth center half an hour away. . . but honestly, I'm just not sure if that's worth it!

I made the terrible, terrible mistake of looking at the "hurt by home birth" blog out there. Gaahhhh, awful stories. That said, pretty much every. single. one. was about negligent midwives in the US. . . not anything inherently wrong with home birth. Stuff like midwives KNOWING the bp was too low for too long and refusing to transfer. . . or not trusting the mother when the mother knows something is wrong.

Any who, you home birth mama's. . . how did you get over that fear of "what if something goes wrong?" It used to be a question I rolled my eyes at. . . and now it has me scratching my head.

In my heart, I know if you have good a good birth attendant, if something goes wrong you'll be transferred and everything will most likely be fine.

I don't want to NOT have a home birth because I let a bunch of anecdotal personal stories give me the spooks and make me uncomfortable.

Thoughts?

I've had 2 straightforward home births and planning my 3rd. I can't imagine doing anything else tbh. I'd be gutted if I couldn't have this one at home. Can't recommend it enough x

I've never birthed in a birth centre but for me the pros of a home birth (which I'm having this time) are:
-get to sleep in my own bed/bed share/not worry about being moved on their schedule
-OH isn't sent home- I got seriously depressed alone in hospital last time. I desperately needed my OH there and he wasn't.
-I can learn to BF/parent in an environment I'm comfortable in
-I can definitely have a pool
-No wards!
-Don't need MIL to watch LO, and therefore don't need her to come to the hospital and intrude
-Can eat what I like/listen to what I like/do what I like because I'm comfortable in my own home. I wouldn't be as much in a birth centre.
-Don't have to worry about the transfer, which is horrible!

Thanks for your replies ladies!

I'm just stressed planning a first birth. It's hard to knock the "what ifs" out of your head!

I went to a birth centre for my first but want to do a home birth for my next.

We decided on the birth centre because it made my husband more comfortable knowing there was medical help nearby if need be (it was attached to a hospital), and I felt like it made sense to have the options and support you have at a birth centre for my first, since I didn't know how it would go or what I would want.

In retrospect, I feel it was the right decision for our first, but I want the comfort and peacefulness of home for the next one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->