Home Birth

littlerhody95

Reaction score
I'm currently pregnant with my second baby and trying to figure out what I want for a birth plan. With my son, I went to a birthing center and had a natural birth. I love my midwife and the whole experience, but I'm thinking about trying something a little different this time around. I want to try a home birth (I'm still trying to convince my fiance), but I don't know what to expect. What should I prepare myself for if I do choose to do a home birth?

Same experience as in birth centre but at home- just lovelier being in your own home :) honestly, that simple! you just have to hire a birth pool if you want one. No need to stay in hospital after (or worry about getting an available pool in hospital) and no need to worry about getting into a car when you are having contractions in the middle of the night. They clean everything up too. It's wonderful! especially knowing your first can meet your new baby when YOU want- not when visiting hours are.

Same experience as in birth centre but at home- just lovelier being in your own home :) honestly, that simple! you just have to hire a birth pool if you want one. No need to stay in hospital after (or worry about getting an available pool in hospital) and no need to worry about getting into a car when you are having contractions in the middle of the night. They clean everything up too. It's wonderful! especially knowing your first can meet your new baby when YOU want- not when visiting hours are.

Oh wow, that's really neat. I didn't realize that they clean up for you, that's definitely a huge relief. I still have to look into it more, but I'm definitely leaning towards home birth more than a birthing center again. I hated getting in the car and going home shortly after. I like the idea of already being home. And thank you for the heads up about having to hire a birthing pool.

You really don't need much for a home birth, the only extra stuff I used was some plastic sheeting - a cheap shower curtain - and a few old towels that I was happy to chuck out if they got really messy (they didn't).

We bought a second-hand birth pool from eBay with pump (same cost as hiring one and I've lent it to 2 friends since), a new disposable liner for the pool and a long enough piece of hosepipe to reach from the tap to the pool and some Milton to disinfect everything.

I loved that the midwives helped dh to tidy up and made us tea and toast then left us alone within an hour (after helping me get ds latched for his first feed). Our parents came round an hour later for a quick visit and we were tucked up in bed for our first night as a family of 3 just 4 hours after ds arrived. Blissful, best choice I ever made and dh won't even entertain the idea of us traipsing to hospital this time!

I meant to add that if you have midwife led care in the uk they either bring you a home birth kit and gas and air canisters (minus the mouthpiece so you can't try it out beforehand!) around 38 weeks or they have a home birth van that arrives fully stocked when you go into labour.

Generally they give you a checklist to make sure you have everything. You don't need much at all, in fact I didn't use much of anything I bought for it. I had my 1st in the hospital and 2nd was a home birth w/hospital transfer, it is a much better experience at home and especially helpful when you have a child at home already :)

Thank you for this post, although its really early days for me HB is definitely on my mind this time so your advice and questions here have been really helpful

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->