Home birth

GemGems

3rd Tri - Woo Hoo!!!
Reaction score
This is my first baby and i really want a home birth. I think it'd be much more relaxing and less germs than there are in a hospital!! Has anyone else had a home birth before and would you advise it for a first baby?

Thanks. x

Less germs? I don't think so. There's still going to be a lot of germs in your home and you'll have germs that hospitals don't have. Like germs from pets!

However, I think a home birth is a lovely idea if it's what you want. This is also my first pregnancy and I think I'd prefer to be in the hospital since everything is so new to me I'll probably like the assurance that if anything goes wrong doctors and hospital equipment is there! Besides, I'll probably be a wuss and need an epidural :p

I mean less germs as in no MRSA. I'm just so worried that my baby will pick it up in a hospital. I've read that home births are fine as long as you dont have a complicated pregnancy and your iron levels are above 11. Fingers crossed!!

I think its a very personal choice and it's what it right for you. Home births now are extremely safe and they believe its an easier birth as your more relaxed with your surroundings, they have all the equipment there if there are problems but they also have a dedicated ambulance incase things get more serious

I mean less germs as in no MRSA. I'm just so worried that my baby will pick it up in a hospital. I've read that home births are fine as long as you dont have a complicated pregnancy and your iron levels are above 11. Fingers crossed!!

You shouldn't worry about MRSA really. I work in a hospital and it's not very common at all >.<

I'm sure they are fine, but me personally would rather have my bub in the hospital :)

I would love to have a home birth, but my midwife advised against it with it being my first and my OH said he wouldnt be able to relax at home incase anything happened so maybe with the next one ill get to. But if thats what you want , then go for it you dont want to regret it later. Finger crossed everything goes ok so you can have one :) XXX

I am planning a home birth, and this is my first. Do your research, and look at your options and make an informed decision. I am 100% completly comfortable with the decision I have made. I have no interest in medical intervention for my labor, hence the reason I have gone this route. There are loads of great books and films out there now. My fav is Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth. And a great documentary is the new Rikki Lake 'Business of Being Born'

I know things work differently in the UK than the US, but you have every right to have the birth YOU want!!!

I think a home birth would be great. I would love one next time around, but since I had a c-section this time (hoping for VBAC next time) I doubt I'd be able to have one. Good luck in choosing the birth that is best for you.

I work in a hospital and mrsa is not common. And even less common on the labour ward.

If it is your first, I wouldnt have one. You have no way of knowing how your body is going to react giving birth and there are some things that can save yours and you baby's life if your at a hospital... Because some things only have seconds/minutes to be fixed.

I fully support you having a home-birth if you are healthy enough. A lot of people are ignorant when it comes to home-birth. Firstly educate yourself, get as much information as you can. Find a great midwife because they know what to do in medical emergencies, such as a hemorrhage. I find it funny because it's been proven many times the home-births are safer (again if there are no medical problems.)

I think a home birth would be great. I would love one next time around, but since I had a c-section this time (hoping for VBAC next time) I doubt I'd be able to have one. Good luck in choosing the birth that is best for you.

I'm planning on having a home VBAC next time - wouldn't cope in the hospital

Good luck, I know doctors here recommend VBACS because they are safer :)

I don't really see the point these days. Back in the olden days (lol) women had to stay in hospital for like 3 days. Now we're out after 6 hours!

Carley, you make Australia sound like a really horrible place. I dont know what your healthcare system is like, or why you think C-Sections and other things are recommended so frequently unecessarily.

I do know that in Canada, standard procedure is to follow the mothers birthplan. If she wants to do it with no pain meds, she doesnt get any. If she wants a water birth, they will set up the pool.

Nothing here is recommended or done selfishly. If there are recommendations on procedures it is because the baby or mothers life is in danger.

It is one thing to say people are ignorant to homebirths. I am not against them, they can be wonderful. However, if I did this (especially for my first child when I do not know what to expect) and something went wrong that could have been helped in the hospital. I would be devastated and would not be able to live with myself.

Midwives are not doctors. They cannot do operations in your home. All they can do is call emergency services and pray that your baby can hold on for however long it takes.

Healthcare has come a long way in a short time.

It's also gone backwards with all of the interventions. And it's not only Australia but America as well. Have you ever been to a home-birth?

Example:

Oxytocin, your body's natural hormone, is secreted in bursts. However, when you are given pitocin you are placed on a regulated intravenous pump, to regulate the amount of pitocin to a steady flow. Therefore, pitocin induced contractions are different from your body's natural contractions, in strength and effect.
With pitocin, the induced force of the contraction may decrease uterine blood flow (This is also done during a natural contraction, but not for as long of a period and not as close together.). Therefore, reducing the oxygen to the baby.
With pitocin you will also receive continuous electronic fetal monitoring. This is because fetal distress is more common with pitocin use and needs to be detected if it occurs.
We have also witness that pitocin can be the beginning domino in the domino effect. The IV, the infusion pump, and the continuous monitoring will confine most mothers to bed, decreasing her ability to deal with the contractions naturally. With the more painful contractions a mother is more likely to need pain medication, such as an epidural anesthesia.
Pitocin can present other hazards. For the mother these include: tumultuous labor and tetanic contractions, which may cause premature separation of the placenta, rupture of the uterus, laceration of the cervix or postbirth hemorrhage. Fetal hazards include: fetal asphyxia and neonatal hypoxia from too frequent and prolonged uterine contractions, physical injury and prematurity if the due date is not accurate.

im having one (hopefully). I know this has been discussed before and I dont want to sound all high horsey but there is no evidence at all to show that home births are more risky...in fact the opposite is true. Do what ever you think is best for you and do your research, your midwife cannot refuse it!! (of course if there is a medical reason you may be wise to listen :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->