Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

thanks so much for the reassurance ladies. where do I get cheap shower curtains from? I'm still pretty new to London haha. I really need to make my baby stay put till I'm 40 weeks, DH has just switched from contracting to perm and if I can wait till then he gets 3 weeks paid paternity leave!! Stay in little bubba!!

do you have an Ikea you can get to? Mine came from there for 79p :)

oh thanks yes I absolutely do! Yay another reason to go to ikea :D

We don't have an Ikea :( We have a Dunelm, but I suspect they are nowhere NEAR that cheap... and I've seen shower curtains in Asda but they definitely aren;t that cheap! I'm going to have to get a couple soon and sod the price... I can't keep putting it off forever!

if I find some I can send you some if you want? although I have no idea how much it costs to mail stuff in this country hehe - I live pretty close to an ikea :)

Our nearest Ikea is in the next state I think.... Yup, approx 190 miles away :dohh:

x

if I find some I can send you some if you want? although I have no idea how much it costs to mail stuff in this country hehe - I live pretty close to an ikea :)

I'll check Wilkos first and get back to you :) Thanks!!

Why does America not have inexpensive shops like Wilkinson's?! :dohh:

I guess I could check the $ store to see if they have anything that would be suitable... I miss Wilkos and Primark and the such.... :(

xx

I spent only a few quid on dust covers at B&Q (links on posts somewhere in this thread), and they're massive. Didn't use them in the end, obviously :cry: ; but I'm using them now I'm moving house!

I used a few old sheets and a king duvet cover I got on offer for a couple of quid with shower curtians from asda (about 80p) if thats any help :)
Not seen this thread before. I had my first home birth with my second child Scarlett in May last year and def want to have my next at home.
xxx

Hello ladies. Hello new folks!

I was wondering if picnic rugs would be a good sofa covering option - waterproof but quite soft?

I had a fun day with drs and a&e today. I went to my GP to get my fast pulse double checked at the request of my midwife (and get my iron, folic acid and vit c prescription while I was there. The dr changed the scrip to liquid rather than tablets, no questions asked). The dr couldn't find anything untoward with me beyond the fast pulse, but nonetheless asked me to go to a&e to get looked at further.

Which led to 4hrs+ in a&e: an ECG, heart trace, multiple blood pressure tests, a lung x-ray, bloods and then an ultrasound scan of my heart. All of which came to the conclusion that I am fine and my pulse is just fast because I'm pregnant!

But I now have that written in my notes, which I guess is good.

And I'm really, really glad I'm having a homebirth. All the nurses etc were lovely (and excited about my homebirth) but I came away with a pounding headache and then burst into tears in the street when my husband came to meet me! But still, bless the NHS for fully checking me out in a fairly swift time.

The hypnobirthing relaxation techniques did wonders for my pulse when I was being monitored - down from 128 to 102 in quite a short time when I did the upsidedown thermometer counting down from 40 one.

picnic rugs is a great idea! I just want the cheapest thing possible haha not ashamed to admit that :)

urbanbumpkin great to hear there is nothing wrong! I actually remember reading somewhere something about pregnant woman having fast heartbeats - and it being nothing to worry about but I have NO idea where I read that... was it in spiritual midwifery?? hmmmm.....

picnic rugs is a great idea! I just want the cheapest thing possible haha not ashamed to admit that :)

urbanbumpkin great to hear there is nothing wrong! I actually remember reading somewhere something about pregnant woman having fast heartbeats - and it being nothing to worry about but I have NO idea where I read that... was it in spiritual midwifery?? hmmmm.....

All I would say is dont spend much because all too often these things just dont get used! I bought 2 fleece throws for £1.99 from Ikea to go over the 79p shower curtains.....I didnt use any of them! :lol:

Hi Ladies
I have bought shower curtans for £1 in ASDA, and I am on the look out for cheap sheets now (or may buy myself nice new sheets and then just use the old ones for the birth - lol - in fact this sounds like a much better idea)

I told my kids about the home birth plan the other day and my my 12 y.o son and 8 year y.o. son were both really excited about it -more about the fact that I am buying a birthing pool I think lol. My 15 y.o DD was a bit incredulous -what?? why?? Are you trying to traumatise me? lol -told her she doesn't have to be in the room lol and that this way they get to see their lil brother straight after he is born and we dont have to stay in hospital so she is kind of coming around.

DH is really on board now too, I have had him reading someof the father's birth story's and he is even teling ppl and effectively expalining why its a great idea; whereas before he was very much thinking it was daft but if I wanted it then he'd go ahead with it for me.

So looking forward to the birth now xx

I bought waterproof dust/decorating covers for B&Q and they covered everywhere I needed covering.

Wannabubba - My 15 yr old was the same! :lol: I told her it's not like it is in Eastenders!! She happened to be staying at my parents as it was the school hols so she stayed there with my LO. I did the double sheet thing and there was nothing on the bed in terms of mess even though I was on there for a good hour!

If you go to any hardware store, you can get the plastic drop cloths (the ones they use for painting) for really cheap. They cover a large area and are easy to lay out.

I had a HB conversational first today.

I was at my allotment's committee meeting and people were asking how long I had to go. One of the committee members was there with his little girl (18months old), who was sat on his knee happily snacking away on her broccoli and bits of omelette, and he just casually asked "are you having a home birth, or a hospital birth?" which is the first time anyone else has brought up the subject first without prompting, and it was done so matter of fact-ly too!

I think they must have had a home birth too as when I said "home", and that the pool was arriving next week, he didn't bat an eyelid but his next question was "what floor are you on" in a way that sounded like he had considered that pool/flats below issue in the past himself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->