Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Aww Beth we'd love you to join us my friend! :hug: You will LOVE home birthing. What's the dealio with MWs in Tx? Are they easy to come by? Why did they CS you? We have a HBAC member but turns out she has a problem with her pelvis so didnt quite get her HB in the end :( I can HIGHLY recommend a book by Sheila Stubbs called Birthing The Easy Way - she's a Canadian author and her story of her 5 births from c-section to home birth and an accidental unassisted birth is truly inspirational - she sealed the deal for me.

https://www.birthingtheeasyway.com/index.html

Aww Beth we'd love you to join us my friend! :hug: You will LOVE home birthing. What's the dealio with MWs in Tx? Are they easy to come by? Why did they CS you? We have a HBAC member but turns out she has a problem with her pelvis so didnt quite get her HB in the end :( I can HIGHLY recommend a book by Sheila Stubbs called Birthing The Easy Way - she's a Canadian author and her story of her 5 births from c-section to home birth and an accidental unassisted birth is truly inspirational - she sealed the deal for me.

https://www.birthingtheeasyway.com/index.html

Thanks! I'll def read that!

I haven't looked into midwives too much yet but I did find this one lady through google. I emailed her a couple times and she said I can def do a homebirth even with my history and that she'd love to be my midwife, I'll just get into contact with her again when it gets closer. This is her website

https://www.allaboutbabies.net/about-me.html

I'm hoping to find some people in my area that have had a homebirth and get some recommendations for midwives so I can see who fits best with our plans.

My birth with Casen was just all around bad. I was having BH and I hadn't had them with Landon so I thought they were contractions, went into the hospital to get checked (this was a week before his due date) and they weren't happy with his heart rate...not enough variables. I think he was just sleeping at the time. So they kept me and induced me. I was only 1cm and they just started with pitocin right away. Casen didn't do well with it, they kept upping the dose even though his heartrate kept dropping with contractions, then it started dropping between them as well, never made it past 2cm and they said he had to be a CS. I truly feel had they just let him be, turned off the pitocin he would have been just fine. I found out later that the dr I had with him has an extremely high rate of CS. But they did my CS and took him to the nursery for about 3-4hrs, I saw him for a second before he was gone. Casen is extremely clingy, has been from the day we came home from the hospital, I honestly believe it's all because ofh is delivery, he wasn't able to be with me right after and it totally screwed with him Might sound stupid lol but I really think it did that. Now he's mommy's boy though :cloud9:

But I know my body can do this, I was made to have me some babies lol. Landon was my first and his labor was 9hrs total and I pushed for 10min. Hayden, my VBAC, I started labor at midnight, 2am was 2cm and my water broke, 4am 4cm and at 5:43am he was born. Only pushed with one contraction.

well I think youre right Beth - your section sounds like a classic case of the intervention rollercoaster that seems to lead only to CS. I am so glad I refused induction this time or I could have been the same. So many women are pushed down this route for no genuine reason.

Anyway, like me now you are older, wiser and probably strong enough to say 'no' when you know it's not needed - mama knows best!!

Yeah def. I wanted to say no with Casen but when 4-5 nurses are rushing in and out and they are telling you it HAS to happen it's scary to think what if I say no don't do it and they were right you know? I had a midwife with Hayden's birth (midwives aren't the norm here, you have to get one yourself otherwise you have an OB) and it was the best experience, I felt like she really trusted me, she knew I could do this just like I did. Plus midwives can't operate so they are less likely to push for a CS :)

We hope to do a water birth at home so I'll be looking for lots of info over the next few months

Of course. You know the OB who said she wanted to induce me was shocked when I said no but she was great and definitely didnt bully me. The MW assisting her spoke to me after and said if it were one of the other OBs they would have been more like you described, saying the old 'if you ignore me and your baby dies on your head be it' etc and scare me in to it.....its so wrong.

So you have lots of time to plan and get really informed and ready to go! :)

Beth, if you have already had a straightforward VBAC, then a HBAC should surely present no problem? Isn't the main concern with a VBAC uterine rupture....? which is more likely to happen in hospital, if you are induced or given strong drugs to augment labour? I've never had a CS, so I;m not 100% sure..... GOOD LUCK with your HB plans anyway... I'm hoping to do it n water at home too! :)

Yeah since I have had a normal vaginal birth before my CS and then a VBAC after it there really shouldn't be any issue. The biggest concern is uterine rupture but the chances of that happening are less than 1% so not a huge risk anyways, but even lower after you've had a successful VBAC. So I should be just fine, but this will be my first birth no pain meds..yikes! But I think I can do it :)

Can the mws bring laughing gas where you are? seems like they dont use it the same in the US as we do here....

I'm really not sure, I hadn't really heard of anyone using it until being on here. It wasn't offered to me at all with the boys. All that I was offered besides an epi was some IV meds that only worked for like 20min

I have terrible hips and need hip replacement and something that helps me manage my pain is taking hot baths so I'm hoping the hot water will help me be able to handle the pain during labor as well. I want to look into hypnobirthing as well

No, in the US they don't use laughing gas at all, so even the midwives don't offer it.

Hi everyone

There seem to be quite a few of due in the next few weeks - how exciting!

I have been trying not to get too excited as MW said that at 37wk 5days there would be no questions asked about home birth and that is tomorrow so as long as can get through today hopefully it will be all steam ahead!!

I am another one on Spatone - did not like the ferrous sulphate tablets at all - too many side effects. But nothing with the Spatone that I have noticed. When drunk with OJ there is no taste at all. Also Tesco had buy 2 get 1 free so have stocked up!

Met with doula for the last time on Tuesday before the birth - she is so lovely and positive (as you know Nikki!). She also spent time with DH to check he was ok with everything. We are finally practicing the pool tonight.

I love Michelle! She took me for my early scan last week...I was tellin her I was excited for you! We're having a night in next week watchin baby programmes with a take away. I've V+ hoembirth diaries for her, so if she has to shoot off mid episode I'll know you're in labour ;)
You will be amazing, and so will your hubby! :hugs: I've asked her (if you don't mind) to let me know when you have your bubba! I'm like an expectant Dad LOL!

I love Michelle! She took me for my early scan last week...I was tellin her I was excited for you! We're having a night in next week watchin baby programmes with a take away. I've V+ hoembirth diaries for her, so if she has to shoot off mid episode I'll know you're in labour ;)
You will be amazing, and so will your hubby! :hugs: I've asked her (if you don't mind) to let me know when you have your bubba! I'm like an expectant Dad LOL!

Ha ha no of course she can tell you!! Yes if she gets a call and dashes off it will be for me!!

LMAO, don't be surprised if you find me hiding in the boot of her car ;)

Ohh I've been thinking about what stuff I need to get for the home birth, just bought a cheap waterproof sheet for our bed so I can make it up with 2 sets of sheets. We just got new carpet so I'm a little concerned.. do you think it would be weird if I got a tarpaulin for the hallway so I can walk from bedroom to bathroom without worry? Is anyone other than me *not* planning a water birth? I'm worried about how much I need to protect the carpet because I won't be confined to the pool hehe.

Evening lovelies, and :hi: to all the new faces in here! As fast moving as always I see!!

A good friend of mine had her little boy at home a couple of days ago and what makes it even more fab is that we have the same MW so I can actually speak to someone who will give me an honest and open account of how it really went which I think is fantastic :thumbup: I feel really lucky, as Lisa was saying when I was talking to her about it, the continuity of care we have had from this MW has been fantastic and by all accounts, she was amazing at the birth so we are even more psyched for it!

LolaAnn, my friend who I'm talking about didn't have a pool either and it was fine so I am sure you will be too. I know that it was a lot less "messy" for want of a better word than she expected it to be.

As for us, not much new really, got our GT test next week and that's us 27 weeks on Saturday so getting there....slowly it feels like at the minute!!

Our Hypnobirthng classes start again in June so we have 6 hours of private time with the tutor which is cool.

Hope you are all well xxx

I can't believe you're almost 27 weeks Pops! :)

Interesting article posted on Oprah.com
https://www.oprah.com/relationships/Midwives-Doulas-and-Alternative-Birth-Options/1

Kind of nice seeing an article like this on such a mainstream site. :) Especially in the US.

I know, it has flown by so far but it suddenly seems to be getting ever so slightly slower!!!

Thanks for posting that hun, like you say, refreshing to see something like this on such a mainstream level. Our friends over in California were gobsmacked when we said about the Home Birth!

xxx

Thanks for that article Gina :)

Ohh I've been thinking about what stuff I need to get for the home birth, just bought a cheap waterproof sheet for our bed so I can make it up with 2 sets of sheets. We just got new carpet so I'm a little concerned.. do you think it would be weird if I got a tarpaulin for the hallway so I can walk from bedroom to bathroom without worry? Is anyone other than me *not* planning a water birth? I'm worried about how much I need to protect the carpet because I won't be confined to the pool hehe.

It's definitely not as messy as you'd expect. Other than making the bed twice and the plastic sheet for that, we didnt use the shower curtains or throws we bought in preparation! A couple of 79p shower curtains would be sufficient to cover your hall floor.

I have to say not a drop of anything went on my (beige) carpets and my water broke first thing and while I had a pool, I spent almost half my labour out of it and vacumed the whole house! :lol:

I didnt have a waterbirth, just a regular homebirth - and my waters went when I was stood on the rug, but we'd just put some plastic sheeting down. There wasnt a single drop of "mess" anywhere to be seen. The bath had a bit of blood in it as I had a bath after Aimee was born, but that was all, a quick hose down with the shower and all sorted. Theres hardly (if any) mess with HB. Midwives are fantastic at keeping everything 'clean'

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->