Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

I've heard great things about spatone which is a liquid iron thing that you add to OJ and can't taste. (Think thats how you spell it)

Yay just had my first home visit - all was fine, no worries about our place or anything. Here's the contents of my home birth kit! Bit exciting!

Attachments

• home birth pack.jpg
    home birth pack.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 15
I'll ask about the Spatone, thanks.

My kit is all sealed up so I can't get a look at it! Very exciting that you have yours.

My Mum has just said I should drink Guinness! But I don't think there is actually that much iron in it, not as much as used to be thought.

My kit is all sealed up so I can't get a look at it! Very exciting that you have yours.

Hahah mine was meant to be sealed but my midwife ripped it open to add more gloves :happydance: I'm way too nosey for my own good - the hook to break waters looks exactly like a crochet hook lol

urbanbumpkin I keep forgetting we are due on the same day!! This is your first too right? And it's a surprise? Mine was meant to be a surprise too but hubby weakened and we found out haha

Hahah mine was meant to be sealed but my midwife ripped it open to add more gloves :happydance: I'm way too nosey for my own good - the hook to break waters looks exactly like a crochet hook lol

Ha! They showed us one of those at the antenatal classes. Even after the midwife explained that most of it was handle, and that only the tiny bit at the end was used to break the waters, there were still quite a few horrified faces.

Yes, it is our first. And still a surprise, although I'm convinced it is a boy.

I think I'm due on the 20th (from my temp and cervix charting) but the NHS say the 14th from the dating scan (done when I htink I was 14 weeks and they are only meant to be super reliable when done before 12 weeks). So who knows, given the unreliability of due dates.

I'm going with saying 'mid to late May'

I never got left a kit to peek at. They just came with it when I was already in established labour...I am so nosey having a sealed HB kit wou;d've drove me nuts haha!

I never got left a kit to peek at. They just came with it when I was already in established labour...I am so nosey having a sealed HB kit wou;d've drove me nuts haha!

They are just sealed with cable ties, of which I have many, so I have been considering some surreptitious breaking and entering and then re-sealing!

They are just sealed with cable ties, of which I have many, so I have been considering some surreptitious breaking and entering and then re-sealing!

I would do exactly that!!! :blush:

My Mum has just said I should drink Guinness! But I don't think there is actually that much iron in it, not as much as used to be thought.

Spatone is what I took, when the prescription iron tablets made me so poorly. I got it from Boots. Spatone have a website and there's a table on there showing you how much to take. My Hb was 8.9, I only took Spatone for a few weeks and it went up to 10. I have a different prescription now, so I'll see how I get on with that, but if I get any side effects I'll ditch it and go right back to the Spatone :)

I tried Floradix liquid, but I couldn't stomah the taste - but that's just me

I also just started taking Floradix again (and I'm not a big fan of the taste). I am only taking half the daily dose though as my midwife said I just needed to eat more iron rich food. But I'm being lazy and just starting to take some Floradix again. :) I got mine from my old naturopathic dr, but you can usually find it in health stores or I usually see it in my local organic store.

I got it from holland and Barrett and I think it was about £6 or £7?? I could barely swallow it coz I dont like the taste, but I know lots of people that like it.

Cheers.... I tried Holland & Barratt and Boots and they didn;t have it....

The MW just called, apparently the min. iron count for a HB is 10, not 11 - even better! Full steam ahead with my HB plans and no forms to sign :happydance:

I had to get Floradix from my local indie health food store and SpaTone from Boots the chemist. Spa Tone tastes like when you lick a cut! That metallic (iron!) taste.....IT's best taken with fresh OJ as vit c helps absorb iron more efficiently. Floradix tastes like a handful of soil! Neither made a jot of difference to my levels unfortunately so I had to resort to the regular tablets.

Cheers.... I tried Holland & Barratt and Boots and they didn;t have it....

The MW just called, apparently the min. iron count for a HB is 10, not 11 - even better! Full steam ahead with my HB plans and no forms to sign :happydance:

It's 10.5 here. Amazing how one area has one policy and its different in another area.

I had to get Floradix from my local indie health food store and SpaTone from Boots the chemist. Spa Tone tastes like when you lick a cut! That metallic (iron!) taste.....IT's best taken with fresh OJ as vit c helps absorb iron more efficiently. Floradix tastes like a handful of soil! Neither made a jot of difference to my levels unfortunately so I had to resort to the regular tablets.

Last time I had low iron and regular tablets for it and my iron kept DROPPING! So far, Spatone has been what has worked for me... which is a b*gger because I have to pay for that myself!

funny because iron levels have not been mentioned once to me in relation to my HB! Infact I don't even have a recent blood test for them to go on !!

funny because iron levels have not been mentioned once to me in relation to my HB! Infact I don't even have a recent blood test for them to go on !!

Ditto... I had a finger prick some months ago at my OBGYNs, but since then, nothing.... I'm gonna be stocking up on iron rich products towards the end (at least!) anyway. :)

xx

My level at the last test was 11.1 and midwife hasnt taken my blood since. Not due to see her again til I am nearly 37 weeks so Im not going to worry. I have been taking tablets but they are having a detrimental effect on my tummy so I think I am going to stop taking them and risk it.

Can I join you ladies? I'm Beth, 24yrs old, live in Texas and I'm a mommy to 3 little boys. Landon is 7, Casen 5 and Hayden 2 1/2. I'm not currently pregnant but will be trying in Sept. We plan to go for a homebirth this time around. My first birth was in the hospital, started labor naturally, had an epi and pitocin. My second birth was induced and ended in an un-necc csection. My 3rd birth was an induced VBAC with an epi.

Has anyone had a home birth after having a previous c-section?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->