Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

I think the reality is that it's human nature to dislike your preconceptions being challanged. Takes us out of our comfort zone. For us in here, we're actively seeking that knowledge but for women who aren't I think there are mixed reasons for being hostile about it but I am sure some feel threatened by the alternative view.

Have you seen the thread that has a video of a nice calm normal birth and lots of the ladies are very OMG?!

Bless em...they could all have that if they tried!

Lucky, my family live in Christchurch. :( Fortunately they are all safe and even their houses are still standing. I felt so sad to hear about it and about Lyttleton. My cousin had her harp lessons there so I was really worried but my Uncle has since moved so I think they mustn't be as close to where the epicentre was this time. I remember when we first went into Christchurch. It's weirdly just like Manchester only more spacious. Very sad to think of the cathedral and everything all destroyed. Though obviously not so sad as the casualties and fatalities. :(

There's a sad post from Jenni a few pages back. :(

So glad to hear that your family are ok PB....how scary for them and for you. I know lots of people are still trying to contact relatives, so it is good that you know they are all safe and sound :hugs:
I know, so much has been destroyed...and so many sad stories emerging already.

I did see the post from Jenni....just been thinking of her a lot and wondering how she is. Sending you hugs Jenni! :hugs::hugs:

Alot of the girls on here don't like hearing the truth and like to make a fuss when their way of thinking is questioned.......
I've not read the thread but I don't agree with this - I think too many people just don't question things and take everything their GP/MW says to them as being 100% RIGHT, not that just maybe they should look into things themselves

How often when we challenge something are we attacked rather than praised for actually looking into things and coming to our own conclusions

I think this is a by-product of education at the moment (I work in HE), people don't question things anymore, don't challenge or understand how to look at things critically.

Then those of us that do become "trouble makers"

I think it's really sad :(

You said you didn't agree with me but then everything you wrote following agreed with my statement. :shrug:

I've been in a few too many heated debates on BnB over the last few months and have been warned that my spreading information about scientific studies that conflict with how many GP/MW's practice is scaremongering and is not appropriate for such a site.

I think the reality is that it's human nature to dislike your preconceptions being challanged. Takes us out of our comfort zone. For us in here, we're actively seeking that knowledge but for women who aren't I think there are mixed reasons for being hostile about it but I am sure some feel threatened by the alternative view.
yep

You said you didn't agree with me but then everything you wrote following agreed with my statement. :shrug:
:blush: can you tell I'm tired? :blush:

I think I need my bed

I've been in a few too many heated debates on BnB over the last few months and have been warned that my spreading information about scientific studies that conflict with how many GP/MW's practice is scaremongering and is not appropriate for such a site.
are you serious? that's really depressing :(

You should hear everyone in the april group about strep B after the This Morning ( that is what you call bloody scaremongering!!!!) honestly, I feel like sometimes modern society is trying to control people by fear and ignorance.
As soon as you question the status quo people attack you, definatley depressing. :(

yep

:blush: can you tell I'm tired? :blush:

I think I need my bed

are you serious? that's really depressing :(

LOL that's alright... I need my bed too

And I just wanted to say a BIG thank you to all you girls on here! Specifically this thread. No one (eg my partner and mother) gets why the birth 'experience' is so important to me so it's really really nice to be able to come here and find other individuals out there with similar views.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm perhaps if I change my signature to one which depicts a vertex baby Baby Peanut will get the hint and go vertex as well??????

It's worth a try! Now I just have to go find a new siggy!

Oh Abz did you need me? I unsubscribed from the April Swwetpeas thread yonks ago as I just didn't know anyone!

I feel like sometimes modern society is trying to control people by fear and ignorance.
that's exactly whats happening I'm afraid :(

Have you read Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine? Well worth a read (though it makes you VERY VERY ranty at the world :blush:

Oh Abz did you need me? I unsubscribed from the April Swwetpeas thread yonks ago as I just didn't know anyone!

I still post there! There's a core group now but I prefer it in here :D You all seem as critical to the world as I am :D

I kinda lost the April Sweetpea group so just lurked around calling no-where home :haha:

I feel today like pacing around until my MW appointment on Friday. Feel like it has been forever since I have seen my MW, possibly wouldn't be quite as bad if it was my old one as I knew her well.

But as time is getting closer and closer I really need to read the threads in here properly and see what I need to get together etc

I've set up a Facebook group for more general chit chat and where you can post links.

Home Birthers & Hopefuls on Facebook

Please feel free to invite anyone you want to. :)

oh I'd love to join that but we're not telling anyone we're thinking of a HB!

I told some girls at work yesterday about wanting a home birth, and they thought it was nuts! :lol: I thought they would think it a good idea, we are Vet Nurses and generally believe births should be natural and at home unless there's risk to mum or babies, so why should I be any different?! My bitch has had 20 pups on her own, at home! :rofl:

I've been reading about hypnobirthing, can you teach yourself without going on a course? What with moving and other life expenses, the courses are a bit much unfortunately :(

I'm sure you can - like most things a teacher makes it easier but you can teach yourself :)

I'm not doing classes, and I'm not having hippy music :blush: but the principles will be used :)

I shall continue to be undercover in here Mervs Mum :D it's a shame but tbh I just don't want anyone sticking their beak into my choices :D and I know my friends, they would :D

Ladies, please I need your help! I'm in hospital and just been examined. Apparently they are going to skip the prostin pessary and try and perform ARM instead, I'm still only about 2cm though. On the one hand this could be good as it is more natural than drugs, BUT I'm worried that they are using my post dates to rush things unnecessarily. They said I'll have 2 hours after ARM before they start the drip. Can someone tell me what NICE say about this? In terms of infection I know I have much longer. Also associated risks, like prolapsed cord etc and dreaded increase instance of c section. Arm me please ladies! I've been really thrown!

How about negotiating based on spontaneous RM? if they'd be happy to leave you 24 hrs then perhaps you could go with the ARM (i think i would given the choice) and say monitor for signs of infection (temp etc) at home and come back in if nothing in 24hrs?

That would be ideal, I just don't know where they've plucked 2hours from... Also, if there's meconium (which doesn't worry me at all) then I'm kinda done for as they'll want bubs out asap. I hate feeling rushed at the best of times. Damn hospitals :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->