Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Even with meconium you can still go with monitoring and see how things go. You have a well cooked baby so they are likely to have pooed just because their bowel has matured. But they will be able to tell that by how fresh it is. Just take it one step at a time honey. x

Ladies, please I need your help! I'm in hospital and just been examined. Apparently they are going to skip the prostin pessary and try and perform ARM instead, I'm still only about 2cm though. On the one hand this could be good as it is more natural than drugs, BUT I'm worried that they are using my post dates to rush things unnecessarily. They said I'll have 2 hours after ARM before they start the drip. Can someone tell me what NICE say about this? In terms of infection I know I have much longer. Also associated risks, like prolapsed cord etc and dreaded increase instance of c section. Arm me please ladies! I've been really thrown!

I hope you get this in time - What on earth are they talking about?? Why not do the gel first???? Why would they rather subject you and baby to increased risks of infection and an invasive treatment...

.. I really hope you don't get pressured into it.. this isn't just about them feeling all smug and how "they got the baby out". You need to weigh the risks - and for me the risks are far higher than doing f-all! You aready know that you will be under so much pressure to go into further interventions after a ARM? Are your membranes bulging? Why on earth is this indicated? Because if the only reason is that you are overdue.. then I would be refusing!! You know where this slippery slope of interventions can lead you... I'm really worried for you.
Please try to post back¬!
XxXx

Well NICE say this.... 1.4.3 Surgical methods

1.4.3.1 Amniotomy, alone or with oxytocin, should not be used as a primary method of induction of labour unless there are specific clinical reasons for not using vaginal PGE2, in particular the risk of uterine hyperstimulation.

Why are they deviating? Can't actually ask anyone yet as they are all rushing around like blue arse flies...

Oh Amy hope all goes well.

You can choose which route to go down, I dont get why they would want to ARM rather than gel?

Also please remember, you can always walk out - there is nothing wrong with you.. There isn't a need to be in hospital is there?
XxX

Can I be added to the home birth hopefuls, I'm 'due' 1st of July :)

Good luck Amy, hope you are getting on ok :hugs:

If your cervix is really nice and favorable, ARM will work (primarily in multips) at inducing labour. It's essentially an induction without the use of man-made pharmaceuticals. Personally, if it were me I'd opt for the ARM... at home though providing the head was actually in the pelvis as your babies is (hear that baby peanut... other babies are doing it.... you can too!!! :wacko:)

Anyways, I wouldn't be keen of the small 2 hour window. Seems very restrictive and I quite arbitrary and I personal wouldn't accept that... Though I wouldn't let them know that until after I was ruptured. I'd potentially consider a conservative 8 hour window and do my best to get labour started with some nipple stim but if all was well I'd be perfectly willing to go to 18-24 hours, though probably not much longer postdates.

In terms of mec. They will be more eager to get baby out, but in the presence of a normal fetal heart rate they wouldn't be rushing out to section you if that's what you mean. They would just be insistent on continual monitoring. It would be more reasonable to start the drip sooner if mec was present and especially if it were particulate but I'd probably still give my body a few hours to get going (and in all likelihood it would). But that's just me.

I dont have any advice, unfortunately but I have my story...

This is the first time I've posted since the birth of my son. I was having a natural homebirth with a pool but reached 13 days post term. I went into hospital for monitoring that day and found that I was having regular contractions but weren't very strong so they sent me home to labour that night. I went back in the next morning for what I thought and hoped would be more monitoring and this is where my dream ended...

I had a foreign midwife and registrar examine me (I really thought lack of effective communication was a huge issue here) and they just were'nt listening to me about just monitoring me and letting me go back home as everything was OK (still mildly contracting, but cervix still high). Instead they gave me a sweep and performed an ARM. I was put on the drip about 4 hours later as the contractions still weren't close enough and that's when everything was really unbearable. The contractions were horrific, even with my high pain threshold and the knowledge that I would be in labour with those for another 5+ hours made me cry. The midwife came in and the first thing she said was "are you ready for your epidural yet?" I just had to say yes but to be honest I couldn't have gone through labour without it....

So here I was in hospital, epidural in, strapped to the bed on my back, monitor one side and drip the other. I cried to myself several times, it still does make me upset.

I laboured for another 6 hours before giving birth, in stirrups, needing forceps, tearing in two places and needing a large episiostomy. He was 10lb 5 oz though, so I have no idea if any of those things, including forceps would have been necessary anyway.

But I am healthy, and I have my son currently asleep in his crib for which I am eternally greatful for. In a way, I'd just say go with the flow, let them do what they have to and relax....

I feel for you though xxx

Hi Meg!
Please please don't be upset with me.... but, don't you think that the ARM is what put you on the clock to the induction drip, and it was the drip which lead to the epi, and because of the epi an assisted instrumental delivery was needed?
I really sorry, but I'm taking myself right off the fence here, and saying that I would be going home if there wasn't a reason to be in hospital, as I'm soooo very wary of the risk involved in the slope of interventions.
XxX

Well quick update from me. Been on the Ctg monitor at last, and bubs is fine. Still have not seen anybody despite 2 requests for someone to explain things to me. The ward is busy, and I have offered to go home and come back again tomorrow. Giving them until about 3ish then probably going to leave if no one has been to talk to me.

I really think that it all started from the ARM. One intervention lead to another....

Maybe, but who's to know exactly?? He was a big baby and I'm very slight build, so maybe he would have neeed help entering this world anyway.

I THINK that the epi and giving birth flat on my back made it harder and was probably the reason for the tearing and forceps....

I would love to know if I could have had him naturally....

Amy I think the 2 hour thing is very common my training hospital's policy is to ARM if possible then wait 2 hours to see if labour/contractions start, why 2 hours? personally I have not found any reason other than they just want to get on and induce with syntocinon drip.
In practice I have seen more successful inductions when a pessary or prostaglandin is used then with Arm but then have never seen anyone try to see if labour establishes more that 2 hours after.
Personally I would want gel first as we all know multips can be walking around at 2cms for weeks it doesn't necessarily indicate a favourable cervix.
However if you opt for ARM then I would be waiting a lot longer than 2 hours before I let anyone near me with synto.

Amy - Hope you and bubs r doing ok and they have actually made time to talk to you. From last time I would say avoid the synto drip if at all possible, for me it was horrible felt like it was forcing my body into responding plus you feel restriced in ur movement :(

There is a group of regulars on the sweetpeas group but I always feel like my opinions are conflicting and I just can't be bothered arguing with such dogmatic people!

On a brighter note, OMG the MW today.. . . at first I was gutted that the mw I'd tried to avoid was actually doing appmnts today.But what a personality change!! She was friendly, positive, answered my questions properly and discussed HB with me! We talked about her coming round for a home visit and she joked I'd better go on my due date as she wanted to attend the birth and was on leave the following week!
Still in shock a bit :)
PLUS baby has turned!! gotta get bouncing on my ball now and keep bumps head down. xx

Meg - sorry to hear your birth wasn't what you hoped for.

i am in a similar position to you...and Jenni I think. None of us quite getting what we hoped for. I haven't posted since I gave birth last Friday either...partly as I felt like I hadn't equalled the home birthers expectations :(

i ended up getting induced...you can read my birth story (of Isabel Lily) especially if I can remember how to put the link in my signature!

To cut a long story short I was induced...hated being in hospital prior, all the unnecessary interceding and faffing etc but ended up with a v quick labour - less than 3 hours meaning baby came out very quickly and was a bit shocked but recovered quickly.

It wasn't what I would have chosen but I feel it was for the best, the overall experience was good, from labour onwards was excellent so I am counting my blessings and not wondering what could have been.

And thanks PB for sticking up with vocal women in the OBEM thread! I couldn't help but shout arghhhhhhh at the end of the really intense contractions but, like tennis players, I found it helped me focus my energy into pushing etc not detract from it.

And the bottom line is: I am home with a beautiful new baby girl with no tears or cuts, no drugs and no regrets :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->