Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Aw Chuck, don't feel ashamed, it can be really hard. Byron wouldn't feed from me at all until my milk came in and he was jaundiced and jittery and the nasty health practitioner was telling loads of BS about how to feed (all of which was the opposite of what I needed to do) and threatening to take him to hospital for UV. I knew when my milk came in it would be ok. But you know we didn't have as difficult a birth as you nor extra complications of tongue-tie. And he STILL never got a proper latch. It improved but was never right.

The m/w you spoke to sounds pretty good chuck and I'd have to sadly agree that often time written birth plans are ignored. Vocal advocacy tends to work the best, but a birth plan is very ideal for a birth partner to have as a reference.

And despite the m/w not being able to reach my cx enough to do a 'good' stretch & sweep I've been experiencing bloody show all day and quite frequent but not very painful tightenings. I know that sweeps are notorious for causing irritable uteruses in multips so I'm trying not to get too hopeful. The bpp went well though when doing the ac she kept referring to my old u/s's for comparison.... I imagine it's due to the measurements not being proportional. Then I went for my consult.... It went ok :/ He made it clear that he recommends IOL now and that he doesn't trust in using my ov date as bmt's and ov pee tests are rubbish but also clearly stated that should I elect for the expectant management approach he couldn't stop me and if I were to require ob care or elect for induction later on regardless of gestation he would provide care. So there was some progress.... That response was much better then the 'if you don't agree to my recommendations, you'll have to seek care 2 hrs away' wich I had experienced previously.

I did however consent to a nst. I was on the fence but felt confident enough to read the strip myself to ensure if that if concerns were found that those concerns would be legitimate before they were acted upon.... but baby behaved beautifully so it was all good. The nurse was overly interested in the tightenings I was having every 2-3 minutes to the point where she concerned I was in labour and didn't know it. They wanted to do a v/e to check but I declined. Clearly an example of a very unnecessary internal!

I hope this is things getting going now Kandy. Glad your appointments were all ok.

Well, I've been having tightenings since 2am and I'm sat here with the TENS on, having contrctions every 1/2 hour-ish so hopefully this IS IT!!

I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm ashamed to say it but I have a high bmi (33) and I wondered if anyone knows how this will affect my chances of homebirth?

I know I shouldn't feel ashamed but I still do.

It hurts me now to think why didn't I just get over it and work through it like so many other do? It makes me feel weak that I gave up on what was best for my baby for my own sake.

But on the other hand Dewi is happy and (mostly healthy)...but like with the 'birth' experience it just doesn't seem enough sometimes.

I didn't get enough support at the right time though being between xmas and new year people weren't in clinics and what not. The MW in the hospital would look and see me having a go but that would be it, at the birth centre they were far better but still they told me to give him formula (albeit from a cup) because he was dehydrated. The tongue tie clinic which I was sent to in the snow and ice a few days post EMCS turned out not to be running and could I wait another week?! <facepalm>

By that point no I couldn't wait another week and I said no more, something hubby had been kind of pushing me to do for a few days anyway.

As much as I love him at times he is so unsupportive in the way I need it is untrue. He always wants what is best but by going by the recommendations of the professionals - hence why he wants me in hospital for this birth.

It just hurts me to see others going through troubles and making it through the other side...why was I so much weaker than them?

I doubt I'll ever come to an answer for that...we all have our cross to bear.

hey ladies, just a little update from me - went to the hospital this morning - first BP reading was very high but I had already said that the consultant on monday said the big cuff had to be used - so she toddled off to get one and low and behold the reading was 143/78 which is still high for me but not as high as the first reading. So they're happier with that.

Bloods came back fine (even commented on how good they were esp my iron levels) but my wee still has protein in but as the level hasn't changed since last week and it's still low the Dr wasn't concerned about it.

Back again in 2 days for more tests just to be sure but at the moment they're not bothering with it :) If I spot any signs (headaches, reduced movement, eye disturbances, upper abdominal pains) then I'm to report straight away to hospital (do not pass go, do not collect £200 :D) but thankfully it all seems to be a bit better :)

YAY!

LOL its crazy the difference the BP cuffs makes!

Glad things are looking up gertrude, keep thinking positive hun and all will be well.

I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm ashamed to say it but I have a high bmi (33) and I wondered if anyone knows how this will affect my chances of homebirth?

i have a low bmi of 18 when i first saw my midwife and that put me on possible high risk, ive obviously gained abit of weight now so i think im ok. has ur mw said that u cud be high risk? if not then i think ule be fine. id start excercising like yoga and try to eat healthy so u can keep ur bmi steady

If you don't make your weight a big deal they won't. They may suggest you see a consultant but you can just decline if you want. I had a bmi of 29 pre preg and my mw said had I been above that she would have sent me to the consultant. I said if I was above that I wouldn't go, haha. There may be a few things she'll discuss with about your weight but remember in the end it's YOUR choice. They cant "Allow" to do or not do anything. In the end they have to convince you not the other way around.

Gertrude - sounds like they are doing a pretty good job at neither under or over managing your b/p situation :thumbup:

And chuck pls don't feel bad for not continuing with b/fing. When things go wrong it can be EXTREMELY painful and it's completely unreasonable to expect anyone to continue on when there's no good lactation support available! So pls don't feel bad. I weaned my son earlier on then I had intended b/c I had just entered into a new relationship and thought that it would make being intimate awkward. Now there's a selfish reason to quit and feel guilty about!

My ctx died off. Had the occassional one this morn but they are much milder then before and far less frequent. The bloody show also ended and has been replaced by just tiny amounts of clearmucus. To make matters worse I'm sick :( Yesterday I was feeling slightly stuffy and today I can't breathe through my nose, my sinuses feel as though they are about to explode, my throat hurts and I feel like I'm going to die. Today my goal is to rest rest rest, soak in a bath, eat lots of home made chicken soup and hopefully be better by tonight. m/w just called to see how the consult went and said that she received the bpp report which estimated baby to weigh 4000g. I tend to make big babies but I had thought this one was smaller. My sfh is only 37, baby is not in my pelvis at all, I have ample fluid and I feel much smaller then I did with my 9lbs 3oz daughter. :shrug: They were off by nearly 2lbs with my son [they said he was approaching 10lbs but he was just 8lbs] so I'm excited to find out whether they were way off again or if they got it close and somehow there is a whole lotta baby hiding in there. I somewhat enjoy it when technology proves to be inaccurate. Interestingly the tech also wrote on the report that the est gest age is only 39 weeks and that he feels at this point further bpp's aren't necessary.

2nd time - hope things are progressing better for you!

dsi cut me off again!

anyways he said bpps were not necessary for another 2 weeks. Even by my dates I'm 41 weeks today. m/w said it was up to me to decide whether to continue with the fetal surveillance.... While I did feel the last two were overkill given the gest age I was for them I actually requested for them to continue from this point on. Next one is friday, though I really hope Peanut will be here by then! The m/w also said that she has to go out of town tomorrow for the day so if I'm to have my baby tomorrow I'm to page her before 7:30am so she doesn't leave :wacko: [here that baby...] I could be very :growlmad: over this but given how a big part of why I burnt out just as a student was due to the restrictions of being on call 24/7 28 days of the month I kinda feel for her..... afterall she's only had one week off call since December and is the only m/w servicing the area :/ And since I've decided not to labour or birth during the day it shouldn't be a problem lol

Ergh I'm having one of those days.

Someone has snuck in and blown their nose in my knickers, a couple really uncomfy BH at lunch time and I seem to have my waddle on despite not having an engaged baby - damn you achey backs and hips.

ergh.

Perhaps lo has engaged chuck? Mine's been in and out and ins are usually accompanied by a gush of snot.

You really shouldn't feel bad. A section is often sufficient to get in the way of bf without all the additional complications. I think as mums we often feel guilty about allsorts - I feel like I should've weaned later; I feel guilty in advance in case this is a better birth and enables easier bf/bonding with my girl than with Byron. Ridiculous but there it is. All we can do is try and do better next time if we can and try not to beat ourselves up, the first time of everything is always harder, trying to find your own way. :hugs:

Glad things look better Gertrude!

As for me, the SoM emailed at half 8 this morning to say she has circulated the birth plan and my mw phoned, she is dropping off the homebirth kit on Friday afternoon. I have birth art on Friday morning and am 37 weeks tomorrow so it is all go!

Kandy I had a chest infection the days leading up to labour. It was awful to be so ill but I am still surprised how the illness just disappeared when labour started. Of course I was tired so I agree that resting is the way forward. :thumbup:

I have birth art on Friday morning and am 37 weeks tomorrow so it is all go!

You April girls better not go before me!!!

j/k......kinda.....

haha, don't blame you hun! one of my real life friends with same due date had her baby on 26th...wow did I feel jealous! lol. Only cushioning was she was induced so def not something i'd have wanted! hope your time is coming soon! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->