Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

but slim people can get those conditions too...maybe its a higher chance if your bigger but i dont see how you can deny a homebirth on grounds of whether something might happen......

Exactly Rachie. The more peolple they get to give birth in hospital means they get more funding to get more midwifes and better facilitys. EVERYTHING to to with the nhs comes down to funding

Thanks for the Fetoscope info. honey - I guessed it was something along those lines :)

Well, I have started a journal - once I started I couldn't stop!! I have added the link to my siggy below, but can someone tell me how I change the name of the link so you know what it is if that makes sense?? Ta very much peeps xxxx

I have a query about number of midwives attending the birth. I'm going to ask my midwife when I see her at the end of Feb but wondered if anyone would know?

Is there a legal/NHS policy requirement for the number of midwives to attend a homebirth? The way mine has been talking it sounds like it will just be her. There are two midwives on the home birth team, and she said 'it will depend which one of us is on call' as to which it is. I then asked if I could have an appointment with the other one at some point, so that I will feel I know whichever one of them turns up. And she agreed that this was something they like to do, and to make sure to remind her of it at a future appointment.

But then since reading various birth stories, and this thread, it seems like 2 attending is the norm. I'm in Scotland if that makes any difference.

I suppose she might bring a 'non-homebirth' midwife with her from the birth unit as support.

Any ideas?

You know the little globe thingy that's above where you write your message (near the mountain pic and quote?). In your post/signature, type Journal or whatever you want, highlight it, click the globe, put the web address in and ok.

So, it'd end up looking like this: Journal

I have a query about number of midwives attending the birth. I'm going to ask my midwife when I see her at the end of Feb but wondered if anyone would know?

Is there a legal/NHS policy requirement for the number of midwives to attend a homebirth? The way mine has been talking it sounds like it will just be her. There are two midwives on the home birth team, and she said 'it will depend which one of us is on call' as to which it is. I then asked if I could have an appointment with the other one at some point, so that I will feel I know whichever one of them turns up. And she agreed that this was something they like to do, and to make sure to remind her of it at a future appointment.

But then since reading various birth stories, and this thread, it seems like 2 attending is the norm. I'm in Scotland if that makes any difference.

I suppose she might bring a 'non-homebirth' midwife with her from the birth unit as support.

Any ideas?

It usually is the one midwife until things seem imminent, then they call the second one so that there are two at the actual delivery. Don't know if anyone else has more specific information?

There is usaly one midwife with you while you are labouring and then when the birth aproaches she calls another midwife so when baby is born there is one to take care of you and one to take care of baby should you need extra attention.

Hi to everyone :)

I am finally getting around to posting after spending a few days reading over this wonderful thread & using all the great links supplied by all of you THANKS..

This is going to be long, sorry...

Anyway, im Lisa im 39 and this is my 3rd baby. My 2 DD's are 12 & 19 and were both born by C-section, the first for failure to progress after being induced (I believe that she wasnt anywhere near ready to be born) and the second by elective. When I was expecting my 1st DD, the normal practice in those days was to transfer 1st time mums to our nearest CLU (which is a 3.5 hour car journey from home) at roughly 2 weeks before their due date! I live in a small town where the hospital isnt even a real hospital lol, no anaethitist, theatre etc. People get transferred daily to Glasgow via helicopter or ambulance plane!! Anyway, there is only a small community midwife team attached to the hospital. I was duly sent away to Glasgow about 2 weeks before she was due & made the mistake of telling the horrible grumpy old consultant during one of his few visits that I was fed up - "We'll soon sort you out, start you in the morning" was his reply!!! I remember being given a couple of doses of gel very early the next morning then being strapped up to a monitor for hours, nothing was happening & at some point during that day they took me down to the labour ward & broke my waters & gave me an epidural?! I think I eventually progressed to about 3cm dialated?! I honestly dont remember great details, however, when more than 24 hours had passed they then told me I had to have a section and that was that..
7 years later when I was expecting DD no.2 I had to travel to Glasgow to see my consultant at about 37wks who promptly told me that from that minute on i was not allowed to be anymore than 20 mins from the hospital!! This meant I had to go lodge with a friend & also that my mum had to move into my house to look after my older daughter back at home. I had to attend the ante-natal clinic at the Glasgow hospital twice a week from that point and was told on 13th November that I could carry on as I was & wait for nature to take its course or they could section me the next day - I had been away from home & my little girl for almost 4 weeks by this point so agreed to a second section!!!

So here I am, almost 13 years later with baby no.3 due 19th June. This time round so far I have been told that it is "unlikely" that I will be "allowed" to even attempt VBAC (never mind doing it at home) but I have done extensive research & I know there is a far higher chance of me achieving the VBAC i so desperately want if I opt for a homebirth and physically there is no reason why I cant deliver normally. I told my midwife that there is no way they are sending me to Glasgow this time, however, she has advised me that they are not "allowed" to accept me for delivery at the local unit, she did say that homebirth was another option but I know I am going to have to fight tooth & nail to get this. The main thing against me is the whole distance thing - the fact that if something were to go wrong then they would need to organise emergency air transfer to Glasgow.
This is more than likely going to be my last baby & I know I will deeply regret it if I dont give her/him and myself the chance to do things naturally, however, there is still the niggle that I could endanger my baby or myself by going ahead with this..

Thanks very much for reading and if anyone has any advice etc it would be great to hear :)

Lisa x

Welcome Lisa, I hope you get what you want. After a section you have a 0.5% chance of uterine rupture. But you still have a 0.3% chance of uterine rupture even if you have never had a section.

Just remember they cannot make you do anything you dont want to so even if you end up having to go to glasgow they cannot force you to have another section.

I think the worst thing about the lack of support for home births is that it puts you on the defensive, making you so determined to have a home birth that if something does happen it isn't as easy to make decisions.

When my iron was borderline low and I may not have been "allowed" a home birth it made me angry, I wouldn't have agreed with the midwives if I had been told no and would have insisted on being at home. In this scenario if I had started labour at home and then needed to transfer for a genuine reason I would have been resistant to transfer and felt like a total failure. Now that I have the full support of my midwife and family I think I will be able to make decisions based on what is best for me and the baby and wont feel disappointment if the birth isn't "perfect".

Birth is going to be stressful enough without having to fight the establishment during labour.

Hello all...:flower:

I'm booked HB, due 11th March...only 4 weeks & 1 day to go!

It’s my second child and I had a relatively ‘easy’ hospital birth with DS...I’m hoping that a 5-6 year age gap won’t make a difference or mean I’ve forgotten what its actually like to give birth.

I have chosen to have a homebirth because I don’t like hospitals! But can I tell you something..............I’m a MIDWIFE!!!! Haha:wacko:

I’ve not disclosed that before on here as it seems midwives do get a battering on here but I'm not fussed...like any profession you’re going to get good ones and bad ones, I'm just lucky that I don’t have to or will take any shit form my fellow colleagues...and completely agree that you shouldn’t too!

I am a hospital based midwife so naturally I do see more intervention/ emergencies than I’d like but I’ve seen some lovely homebirths as well .... I'm hoping seeing as I’ve done it before, I can do it again in the comfort of my own home.

Any how...I can’t wait for my LO to make an appearance. :cloud9::cloud9:

Good luck to us all in our homebirth plans.x.:thumbup:

Welcome Cupcake!! LOVELY to have a MW join us! I've seen a bit of MW bashing around the forum and TBH most of it is generally unjustified. I have never come across a MW in real life who wasnt supportive and professional and I think you'd get the same rantings from time to time from a bunch of hormonal women who ever was taking care of them!
I for one am in awe! I'd love to be a MW one day and I'm sure I'd soon get a picture of what life in any part of the NHS maternity services is REALLY like and I'm guessing it's not easy at all. :hugs:

Hi Lisa,

This is a hard one....it’s only because you have had two previous caesareans it’s difficult for me (as a midwife) not to see the risks...I’ve cared for women who have had one previous caesarean and they go on to have a vaginal delivery, but I’ve only cared for them in the hospital.

The risks of uterine rupture are low... occurs in 0.4-0.6 of all deliveries

Women with more than one previous caesarean section seem to be at higher risk of uterine rupture -1.4% compared to 0.6% in women with only 1 previous section (I’m sure you already know this)

What is sad is that you had a caesarean in the first place because now 19 years later I'm sure you wouldn’t have had the induction and I don’t think any DR would want you to have an induction due to the increased risk of intervention.

What about an independent midwife?

But remember that all midwives have a duty of care....If you do decide to have a homebirth then they have to attend your delivery...they might not be happy to be there but there’s not much they can do about it. You can also talk to the supervisor of midwives in your area; they are there to support you and liaise with all health professional regarding your care if you do decide that you want a homebirth.

Good luck and I truly wish you get the birth you want.x.

:flower:

Only watched a couple of minutes of One Born Every Minute (am recording it to watch later) and was appalled! One woman trying to labour in a brightly lit room with a stupid man blowing up rubber gloves and begging for an epi. She doesn't need an epi, she needs a quiet room, a female birth supporter and probably a divorce!

Brilliant! :haha: and so very true!!:happydance:

Welcome Cupcake!! LOVELY to have a MW join us! I've seen a bit of MW bashing around the forum and TBH most of it is generally unjustified. I have never come across a MW in real life who wasnt supportive and professional and I think you'd get the same rantings from time to time from a bunch of hormonal women who ever was taking care of them!
I for one am in awe! I'd love to be a MW one day and I'm sure I'd soon get a picture of what life in any part of the NHS maternity services is REALLY like and I'm guessing it's not easy at all. :hugs:

Thank you very much for such a warm welcome:flower:

I love being a midwife...its hard work but seeing a new life and the happiness it brings makes me happy...I hope I always feel that way....sadly the NHS does have knack of breaking your spirit:sad1:

It does make me sad that so many people here have had bad experiences because I know that I would never treat anybody with disrespect, scare them, be rude etc...

.x.x.x.

Nikki - did you find the doula useful? Was she easy to come by? I am thinking of doing the doula qualification this year.....I'm due to start a course in September with a view to possibly applying for the MW degree course in a few years but I thought the doula training might be a good in between thing to do......

:thumbup: hi i'm doing my doula training this fri/sat & sun i can not wait!! :happydance:

Only watched a couple of minutes of One Born Every Minute (am recording it to watch later) and was appalled! One woman trying to labour in a brightly lit room with a stupid man blowing up rubber gloves and begging for an epi. She doesn't need an epi, she needs a quiet room, a female birth supporter and probably a divorce!

True!! My OH watched it with me and said why isnt he supporting her rather than blowing up gloves and trying to lock her in the loo. It would have been lovely for him to encourage her and to tell her she is doing so well and can do it without an epi. my OH told me this when i was in labour (when the MW offered me an epi at 8cms!!) and he made me believe i could do it and i did!

Morning Girls! :D

Do you think it would be useful to put which of the members are hoping to have first babies at home? I'm just thinking for encouragement for people lurking and wondering?

I had my first baby at home if i can be of any help? :hugs:

this is my 5th baby.
My other 4 have all been waterbirths with no1 & 4 being homebirths.
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->