Home made christmas cake

Rhio92

Connor, Saskia, OH & Me
Reaction score
Who's making their christmas cake this year? I do it every year. I use a recipe off the asda website, it's a bit simpler, and the old family recipe takes a long time and costs a lot. Last year it went to waste a bit, so I'm making it in a loaf tin, and splitting it into 3; one each for my dad, MIL and us.

I want to make it now, but we're a bit skint this month, so it'll have to be done in November :brat:

I do, I make 3 each year. DH loves it. I use a recipe out of a good housekeeping cookbook. Turns out perfect every time.
This has prompted me to get the fruit soaking :)

I do, they taste so much better than the shop brought ones. I use a recipe from a friend and feed it with lots of booze lol. I got through half a bottle of jack Daniels last year ha ha x

I do, they taste so much better than the shop brought ones. I use a recipe from a friend and feed it with lots of booze lol. I got through half a bottle of jack Daniels last year ha ha x

Ooo I've never fed it jack Daniels before, I always use the cheapest of the cheap brandy from tesco. May have to try that!

Ooo I've never fed it jack Daniels before, I always use the cheapest of the cheap brandy from tesco. May have to try that!
It's my husband's favourite tipple so thought I would try it and it really is yummy x

It's great with Rum or Contreaux too. Dark Rum is our favourite.

Me! Last year I made 6 as I had orders from friends and family, but this year I've said no - I'm just going to make us a large on and people can have a slice if they want one. I use Delia's recipe and feed it with brandy for weeks. I like it to ooze booze :D I shall start mine next week once we've broken up for half term

I use Delia's recipe too! But I wait until stir-up Sunday to do mine. I won a bottle of brandy at a Christmas fair raffle last year, so that will be going in to it. Can't wait, I love Christmas cake. Might make a mini non-alcoholic one for the pip too.

I want to make one this year, will have to look at that recipe!

I made mine last weekend, I use the delia recipe and make it with Disarano and then feed it copious amounts of disarano between now and christmas x

We baked ours last night - 6.5 hours in the oven! We'll feed it sherry for the next 5 weeks, then a layer of marzipan, layer of royal icing, let that dry out for a day or two then cut into it around December 1st when the tree is up - heaven!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 2
I might have a go! I like the idea of disarono in it

We baked ours last night - 6.5 hours in the oven! We'll feed it sherry for the next 5 weeks, then a layer of marzipan, layer of royal icing, let that dry out for a day or two then cut into it around December 1st when the tree is up - heaven!

I like this idea! I've always have our first piece on Christmas Day, but it might be nice to enjoy it in the run up too x

Just looking at the Delia recipe, there seems to be a bit of an issue over how long it needs to bake for? Do you find it's the same time as she says or less?

I think she says around 4 hours? That's usually how long I do mine for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->