Home-made food or jars???

I really want to try and make Joe's food when he starts on solids and freeze enough for a week in advance, but I suppose it all depends on time. I'm definitely going to give it a go though!

I use 99.9% homemade food. Ive given Lo about 5 pots since we started weaning 4 months ago, and that was due to time we've been away on holiday at lunch times

I too went of a local weaning course, because i was planning to homecook her food. It completly put me off any processed food. I cook roughly once every 2 weeks and freeze and defrost as i need it. Yeah its not as convenient as grabbing a jar/pot, perparing food for during the day when we're out, but I would rather know whats in her food.

I think the main thing i learned which was enforced with the recent panarama show is that the quanities of salt and especially sugar in 'baby food' arent necessarily suitable for babies. Such as there being as much sugar in coco pops and the cow and gate creamy porrige. Its so missleading. Id rather spend my time cooking for her than reading and anylising every jar/pot/pouch I put in her mouth

I can honestly say, there is nothing my Lo eats that i am not willing to also eat. We dont always agree on what tates nice, but thats good fun too. I think that is the most important thing to me

Homemade all the way for us. When were out we defrost and reheat the food i have pre made for him and out in out thermal bag. It keeps the food warm for a while so he can eat it when he is ready. So much cheaper too x

I do home made 80% of the time and the rest jars. When im out jars can be easier, and im not a brilliant cook so some of the things in jars i couldnt re create myself.

I homemade and froze in bulk...but i did use jars on occasion, both are good x

i home make and freeze, but do use the odd jar when out and about and i like to keep a couple in the cupboard just incase aswel, alwasy handy if i have run out of frozen stuff and havent got the time to make any fresh stuff up x

we started with both,but after 2 months they were eating just home-made with ocassional jar.
i always have them in the house,because it's easier when we go out or if im in a rush and they need a quick lunch.
they still have ready-made fruit pots and puddings sometimes,but 3 main home-made meals.

Homemade all the way for us. When were out we defrost and reheat the food i have pre made for him and out in out thermal bag. It keeps the food warm for a while so he can eat it when he is ready. So much cheaper too x

Same here, Im blessed to do it cos i LOVE to cook and make my own foods, also because I dont work its cheaper for us.

I plan on using both, mainly because we don't have a freezer so I won't be able to make a batch and freeze it, so it will either be what we are eating or a jar. But I will be buying the organic jars.

Silly question but if you're out and about, how would you heat something you'd made at home (presuming it was like a dinner you had purreed, rather than fruit). I really want to do 99% homemade but worry about the 'out and about' moments. I guess it's not necessarily possible to heat the jars. Or is it. It's a while off for me but useful to start thinking about it. I'm quite looking forward to weaning...

Eve has a mixture of both, it just depends on what we are having for tea, when she has jars i use the mums own receipe. x

we did both. Early on we used jars a lot because I didn't want to make a big batch of something only to find Hannah was allergic to it. After I had tried all the different stage one jars we moved onto homemade foods though still used jars occasionally.

In answer to your question Sophandbump when I take Amelia out over a meal time and she's having a meat meal I just whiz it in the microwave until it's piping hot, then put it in one of those insulated bottle holders (I have TT ones and they fit my tuperware tubs perfectly). I find that they stay warm/hot for a few hours. Otherwise I'll make her something that she can eat cold.

I suggest you watch 'Panorama, what's in our kids' food' which wa on the other night and can be found on BBC iplayer. Most, if not all baby jars are crammed full of sugar and artificial preservatives. I'd go for homemade every time (one off jars when you're out or on holiday can't hurt though). You know exactly what you've out in it. You can use fresh ingredients that you've prepared. You won't be adding any sugar etc.
The other things which would concern me with bought food is the risk of the jar having been dropped and splintered glass having chipped off into the food and then put back on the shelf. Also I remember years ago when I was a child there was a big scare about baby food because some had been intentionally contaminated by nasty people. I can't remember the details though. Plus they're expensive!

We do a mixture. If we're having something Amelie can also eat then she just gets that too but sometimes we have stuff unsuitable for Amelie like Fajitas or a spicy curry so she gets a jar/tray.

A mixture. If I am home he eats our food but If I am out a jar.
xx

I suggest you watch 'Panorama, what's in our kids' food' which wa on the other night and can be found on BBC iplayer. Most, if not all baby jars are crammed full of sugar and artificial preservatives. I'd go for homemade every time (one off jars when you're out or on holiday can't hurt though). You know exactly what you've out in it. You can use fresh ingredients that you've prepared. You won't be adding any sugar etc.
The other things which would concern me with bought food is the risk of the jar having been dropped and splintered glass having chipped off into the food and then put back on the shelf. Also I remember years ago when I was a child there was a big scare about baby food because some had been intentionally contaminated by nasty people. I can't remember the details though. Plus they're expensive!

Really? I watched this and the only reference to added sugar and preservatives were toddler ready meals, not Jars:shrug: I have just checked a HIPP, Boots Organic and C&G Jar and none have added sugar or use presevatives:shrug: Not most and certainly not all.

Really? I watched this and the only reference to added sugar and preservatives were toddler ready meals, not Jars:shrug: I have just checked a HIPP, Boots Organic and C&G Jar and none have added sugar or use presevatives:shrug: Not most and certainly not all.

Me too and I read all the labels carefully before I buy them anyway
xx

We're prob 90% doing homemade, but Holly has had some ready made when we have been rushing about and I wanted to make sure she had something substantial. The only ones she has had are 'Ellas Kitchen Organics' and 'Plum' organics. They have absolutely nothing in them nasty - no additives, no sugar, no salt, no preservatives - Holly's fave is 'Ellas kitchen brocolli, pea and pear' - and it really is just that, with a dash of lemon juice to maintain the lovely colours.

HiPP Organic Penne with Tomato & Courgette is a combination of tomatoes and courgettes mixed with pasta and milk, made from the finest quality organic ingredients that are GM free, this recipe is suitable for lunch, dinner or tea.

HiPP Organic Penne with Tomato & Courgette is suitable for babies from 6 months and contains gluten. An ideal recipe as weaning progresses.

Organic vegetables (57%) [tomatoes (34%), courgettes (10%), carrots, onions] organic cooked pasta (durum wheat) (25%), organic cooked rice, organic skimmed milk, organic sunflower oil, organic skimmed milk powder, organic vegetable stock [salt, organic rice flour, organic vegetables (carrots, onions, celeriac), organic yeast extract, organic vegetable oil, organic spices], organic spices (basil, pepper).

Now to me, that should have 3 ingredients listed, and would if i had made it. Also look at the percentages. They dont add up.

And just because everything has organic infront of it doesnt mean its not full or sugar, 'bad fats' or salt.

Just the first example i could find. Its knkicked from the boots website. I think as parents are really poorly infrmed on what is in food and it isnt easy to find the information
Infact ive spent 30 minutes today trying to find the RDA for under 2's somewhere on the web. Information i was given at the weaning course, but it is far from widley available, even on the 'start4life' website.

I mean on adult packaging it clearly states is something you eat is say 50% of youre sugar or salt RDA. Ther is nothing like this on childrens products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->