Home-made food or jars???

For me jars have a place - if we have had a busy day out and I have forgotten to defrost something then they are a quick meal although I dont use them very often. ALthough we do use the fruit purees on a more regular basis.

As for the ingredients other than the rice I dont really see anything wrong in that - when I make pasta I use oil and often add milk to make it creamy and a little spice added to make it more flavourful. I also use organic stock as well to add a bit of taste

We started on Jars and have now gone onto homemade. I do find you can give them a much better varied range of foods if you have the jars otherwise you have to buy about 10 different vegetables and meats to make homemade and then you end up with a freezer full lol

I suggest you watch 'Panorama, what's in our kids' food' which wa on the other night and can be found on BBC iplayer. Most, if not all baby jars are crammed full of sugar and artificial preservatives. I'd go for homemade every time (one off jars when you're out or on holiday can't hurt though). You know exactly what you've out in it. You can use fresh ingredients that you've prepared. You won't be adding any sugar etc.
The other things which would concern me with bought food is the risk of the jar having been dropped and splintered glass having chipped off into the food and then put back on the shelf. Also I remember years ago when I was a child there was a big scare about baby food because some had been intentionally contaminated by nasty people. I can't remember the details though. Plus they're expensive!

Really? I watched this and the only reference to added sugar and preservatives were toddler ready meals, not Jars:shrug: I have just checked a HIPP, Boots Organic and C&G Jar and none have added sugar or use presevatives:shrug: Not most and certainly not all.

Me too and I read all the labels carefully before I buy them anyway
xx

These foods are made with experts advice. These jars do not have added sugar salt, colours or preservatives x

for all my others i did a mixture of jars n homemade dinners were nearly always homemade but i brought jars for lunch or sweet n if i was out

I'm planning to do baby led weaning with maybe some purees to use on toast or as dips but I will make these myself.

Seren didn't have jars at all until recently... But the past few weeks, I've been so busy I've been getting her the jars/trays like the Mums Own ones and the Hipp ones.
It is definately cheaper to cook homemade, and then freeze batches which could easily last a couple of weeks when I she was first weaned.
When I have time I always cook up some batches of food, or she has some of what me and OH have if it's something suitable, and then when I'm out and about I buy a jar for her x

I make most of Jacob's food but he has the odd jar when at his child minders etc and I have forgotten to take something out the freezer or if I'm just unprepared!

Another thing I have found good about the jars, which I think someone else mentioned - I didnt want to make a big batch of something to find that Holly didnt like it!

I dont have a preference!! If i am feeling lazy i will get a jar out for the girls but if i have the time to do it in between all the other stuff I make them food.
All their snacks i make myself and puddings too unless its a yoghurt obviously..

Jaycee prefers jars to homecooked meals (like her daddy really lol) and chloe aint too fussed.. As long as they eat and are on track which they are I am happy.

a big jar of 10 month old hipp has the same amount of salt as heinz alphabetti spaghetti!

I also make up food and store it which is easier for me being the two of them are like whippets.

I make mash potato and i use baby stock cubes from boots for a bit of flavour with alphebetti spaghetti or something like that and they love it..

I dont mind either i have to admit xx

i just use home-made, she has not been weaning long but I made huge batches of the individual fruits/veggies and then I just freeze in icecube trays and then pop out into labelled bags to store. Then when its luchtime etc I just grab whatever mix I want of the veggies etc and heat up! it means that I can give great variety and the painstaking jobs of doing pureed red peppers, leeks etc last a long time! also you can give a taste without mixing loads of full meals and having to throw loads of full meals away if LO is allergic!

I have nothing against the jars it just puts me off because they are pasturised to make them last longer and I wouldn't eat them as I like fresh food so I wont feed my daughter them. Out and about the only time I have used something that isn't mine, I went to John Lewis, they have there own fresh/frozen weaning foods, no added anything and not pasturised :)

Other than that its sooooo lovely to know that what she's eating is fresh and organic and cooked by me!

I'm using jars for now, cause I wanna try him with differnt foods and then make it myself. No point in making a bulk of one particular food and then baby doesn't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->