Home made laundry detergent

bky

:(
Reaction score
Anyone use this? Or even use borax in their laundry?

I have for some time on our regular clothing but I've never actually gotten a clear answer on if it's ok to use with PUL.
I've read the borax is the potential problem in that it may be hard on the elastic or the PUL, but can't find anything where anyone has really had problems, just stuff they've read IYKWIM?
I even contacted the manufacturer of my nappies, but their official line is that I ought to only use one specific type of detergent or Napisan on the nappies.
If anyone is interested here are some recipes. https://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/
I tend to use a borax/baking soda/Napisan/store bought detergent mix (though I may move on to washing soda) and store it powdered rather than making a liquid mix. I've heard good things about the liquid mixes, I just don't have a good storage container for it.

I've used Borax a few times and haven't had issues with our PUL or elastic but I don't know what it would do to the nappies if I used if full time :shrug: I was thinking of trying the homemade stuff too since soapnuts are not working out for us.

i didnt even know you could make your own tbh, im sticking with bold2in1 hehe, its expensive but you only have to use a tinsy bit

x

Im gonna have to make my own! (sent oh out to buy washing powder and he came back with fabric softener!!!)

Ooh I'd be keen to make some... Am feeling very stingey at the moment and want to save as many pennies as possible! I have just ordered soapnuts though so might try those first. Thanks for the link.. I shall be adding it to my favourites for future reference! :D

I made the first recipe on the tipnut page yesterday and washed some linens and a couple of Emma's things in it. The linens turned out great but the t-shirt that Emma got peach juice on earlier in the day has stains- I guess I'm just used to all the enzymes in the commercial stuff eating the stains away.

I found a cloth diaper-friendly version where you mix equal parts Borax, washing soda and oxyclean and then use 2 tbsp for small loads or 3 tbsp for big loads. Like you Bky, I found conflicting stuff online, but mostly stuff saying it's okay to use Borax. I got this recipe from a cloth diapering forum and while I didn't read the entire 81 pages of the thread (!), skimming through their faq, it looks like it's safe for PUL :shrug: I'm going to give it a try next time I do diaper laundry though :thumbup:

Yeah I had found the home made stuff doesn't do stains as well unless it has Napisan/Oxyclean something in it.
Oddly the one thing I've found that the homemade stuff doesn't deal well with is solid stick deodorant stains. Which shouldn't be an issue for nappies or kids clothes :lol: but is good to keep in mind for adult clothing.
I guess once I get into actually needing to wash nappies regularly (out baby!) I'll be cautiously trying my homemade stuff.

Wow- just noticed your ticker! Sending labour dust your way :dust:

Diaper jungle's laundry chart said that borax is fine too :thumbup:

I used to make my own laundry gel using that recipe, but I haven't had the time and energy to do it since LO is here. You have inspired me to get making laundry gel again, it is so much cheaper and makes my clothes feel nicer, I just hope it works OK on the nappies.

I wouldn't use the recipe that has the bar of soap in it on nappies since the soap will cause a residue and eventually lead to stink issues.

I did our first load last night with the borax/washing soda/oxyclean mix and so far I'm impressed. It got all the stinkies out (we were having problems with lingering odors with soapnuts) and stains came out too :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->