Home visit from Health Visitor

Cattia

Reaction score
I had heard that the HV had started doing home visits and today I got my letter through to say that they've booked to come and see me on Jan 27th :(

My experience with HV is that they are usually not much help at all. I certainly don't want to have to take a morning off work to talk to them about my pregnancy and family circumstances. This is my third child, really, I don't need them to come and talk to me about healthy lifestyles, sleeping advice, vaccinations etc. I make informed choices about these things. I also don't want them nosing around the house, it means I'll have to spend extra time and effort getting it clean and tidy for when she comes. I know I'm probably being over sensitive about it but to me it feels really intrusive. I know if I decline the visit they will probably think I have something to hide so I guess I have to see the woman, but really I could do without it.

Has anyone else had one of these visits? Do they want to look at where baby will be sleeping? What sorts of things do they want to talk about?

I had mine today, did`nt look round the house or anything..

Was literally just to introduce herself give me information and leaflets (as you said, i have already made informed choices about it) tell me about the children`s centre and where I can go to weigh the baby after he is born..

I can see why it is useful to first time mums like me ... but it could be a bit patronizing to 2nd or 3rd time mothers..

I had mine today, did`nt look round the house or anything..

Was literally just to introduce herself give me information and leaflets (as you said, i have already made informed choices about it) tell me about the children`s centre and where I can go to weigh the baby after he is born..

I can see why it is useful to first time mums like me ... but it could be a bit patronizing to 2nd or 3rd time mothers..

Well, it doesn't sound too bad, but those are all things that I already know about so maybe I will ring and ask them whether it's really necessary. I need to change the appointment time anyway as it's totally inconvenient. I never had this with my other two so it must be a new thing they're doing. I guess they want to make sure that if women have particular needs then they are being met which I guess is a good thing, but to me it feels like they're just sticking their nose in! I don't know why it bothers me so much, it's just the whole concept of someone making an appointment to come to my house without asking me first whether I want it for some reason has really got on my nerves. Maybe it's those pregnancy hormones!

I was offered this but declined as second baby plus I only rang her about it today and I'm two days overdue so by the time she would be able to come baby could be here anyway!

Oh, if they are OK with you declining then I'll definitely try to do that! Hope your LO arrives soon x

This is my first pregnancy but I declined it too. I told them it wasn't convenient on the date on the letter and the HV rang me back with an alternative date or said we could leave it til after the baby was born. I didn't bother ringing back, probably got a black mark against my name now though!

I agree with you though it just seems a bit much, I'll ask for help if I need it I'm sure.

I'd phone and explain that this is your third child and you don't feel the visit is necessary and see what they say. I've never been visited by a health visitor.

I'm on my 4th child and i'm getting these visits too. I didn't decline in case they thought there was something to hide aswell. She didn't look around the house, just sat for a few minutes asking how i was and that was it. I find them really intrusive and it's a hassle making sure the house is in order before they get here.

I was a bit the same when my midwife said they'd be in touch for a home visit, ive nothing really against them or to hide but equally i feel confident being my second so i dont feel i need someone 'checking up on me' or offering me advice or questioning my ways. Anyway she eventually got in touch when i was about 37 weeks on the phone she was very nice and just explained who she was and was it okay to come round, i just said you can if you really want but tbh i dont see the need and she was fine and just left me her number so if i had any questions i could contact her and said see you when babies born. Maybe just try and contact her and explain you think it might be a bit of a waste of her time, sure they understand with 2nd+ kids.

Thanks ladies. I called today and explained that the appointment wasn't at a good time and that whilst I was happy to see her I didn't feel it was personally necessary and would it be ok to just see someone when the baby is born. She was really nice and fine about it so now she isn't coming which I'm glad about tbh!

Wow, I've never hear of such a thing! I'm from the US, is this in UK only? Personally , I think I'd feel like it's a waste of my time if I'm already having regular apts with my dr/midwife what's the point of the home visit? I'm annoyed just thinking about it haha....

I'm a Brit in the US and one thing to point out to US Mommies is that in the UK someone comes to your house in the days following birth to check on you and baby. I was horrified when I was told I had to bring baby to a 9am apt the day after getting discharged from hospital following my c section. It was awful having to get up and out the house and I'd have far rather someone came to me.

Ohhhhh I see, now that part is nice, I'd definitely enjoy not dragging my newborn out and having a home visit also!

Yeah I think the home visits after the birth are quite helpful, because they're actually checking that the baby is ok, but the thought of someone turning up just to give me advice didn't really appeal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->