Home water birth...when to call the midwife?

Jodie.82

"Earth & Angel mama"
Reaction score
Hi, i´m looking for advice on this as i´m now 30 weeks pregnant, and i´m having my baby in Peru in a home natural water birth. I´ve spent my pregnancy between England and Peru and so have have varying prenatal care between the two countries. the midwife who is delivery my baby here in Peru is now away until 1st July when I will be 35 weeks and I havent seen her since I was 27 weeks!
so anyone who has had a home birth at what stage did you call the midwife to come to you? my midwife lives at least 1 and a half hours from where I am so I dont want to leave it too late, but I also dont want her to come and then be there waiting for 20 hours! Obviously I know it should be when contractions are around 7 minutes apart but with my first baby 11 years ago I stayed 1 centimetre dilated for hours while getting regular strong contractions!
any help would be very appreciated!

i would call her when you feel you need to allowing for her travel time, its not like she has to hover around you she can im sure keep herself occupied a bit if your not as far advanced as you think, also look up the "purple dilation line" apparently its what alot of MW's and Doluas use to check how far you are dilated without having to touch you,

ooh how interesting I had never heard of that! thank you that can be a job for the boyfriend!!

Timing contractions alone isn't a good indicator of where you're up to so looking at the whole picture is better. Get your husband to read The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin to help him understand and learn the different things to look for. A woman who is chatting between (or through) contractions is likely in early labour so rather than looking at the timings alone look for behaviour too. The purple line and also the cold legs can help too. A woman who is 'going within' or off in labour land ie concentrating on birthing and not really having rational conversation, or can't remember what they were talking about after a contraction is likely to be advancing or becoming advanced. BUT all women are different so not everyone follows these patterns. I'm not much help am I! Do you have a Doula who lives closer or could you consider one? They will be able to help you and yur husnpband decide when to call without interrupting the flow of your labour. If yu are anxious about when to call that may inhibit your ability to labour effectively too if theres a lot of adrenalin firing around.

X

Thanks Mervs mum, no that is all very helpful! I think in my next appointment the midwife will have to talk to my partner more about recognising the signs etc and helping him know when to call her. No there isn´t a closer one really as we live small town in Peru in the mountains! there are hospitals but i´ve chosen the home birth for various reasons and the midwife with the most experience lives away from here unfortunately.

You're welcome! No I was meaning a doula who's closer who could be with you in the early stages and help your hubby decide when to call the MW :)

aah I see, well my OH has friends nearby who have assisted in home births, I guess that makes them doulas! I will get him to investigate :thumbup:

Sounds like they might be! Work an ask for sure!

I called my MW when my Mum told me 'dear I thin it's time you called the MW and your husband'

LOL I was getting to the point where I couldn't do anything but breathe through contractions and was fairly incapable of moving during them.

Bless my Ma, I was doing my resolute best to keep in mind it could still be hours (I made very very slow progress first time around) and not to jump the gun but she was right by the time MW arrived and i allowed a check I was 7/8cm.

I had only times a handful of contractions I just didnt see the point of putting numbers to them, listen to your body and you'll know when you feel the time is right. The MW wont mind if she's with you 2 hours until you birth or 20!

I called my MW when my Mum told me 'dear I thin it's time you called the MW and your husband'

LOL I was getting to the point where I couldn't do anything but breathe through contractions and was fairly incapable of moving during them.

Bless my Ma, I was doing my resolute best to keep in mind it could still be hours (I made very very slow progress first time around) and not to jump the gun but she was right by the time MW arrived and i allowed a check I was 7/8cm.

I had only times a handful of contractions I just didnt see the point of putting numbers to them, listen to your body and you'll know when you feel the time is right. The MW wont mind if she's with you 2 hours until you birth or 20!

ROFLOL @ your mum!

wow you must have pleased to be already 7 to 8 cms then!
I dont want to leave it too late as she will be bringing the birthing pool so maybe when my body tells me its time to get in the water!

Hubby was pleased i managed to leave it until the end of the football to call the pub LOL!

I could believe I was that far along!

ROFLOL @ your mum!

wow you must have pleased to be already 7 to 8 cms then!
I dont want to leave it too late as she will be bringing the birthing pool so maybe when my body tells me its time to get in the water!

If your MW is bringing the pool - then you deff want to do it way before hand.. It takes time to set up, and you want it ready BEFORE you feel like you would like to get into the water; I just couldn't wait to get into mine.

So call them whenever you like, they are not going to mind. They are there to support you, whatever stage of labour you are at - even if it is slow latent labour, it is still labour and you might feel like you want support and the pool with you.

You just really can't put a 3 in 10 min contractions on labour, as some womens contractions are stronger for less time, and more effective - so everyone is different - however, you will know (I know lots of people say this.. but you really WILL KNOW) when full on 2 stage is starting, but you want your pool before then.

Me? I would be inclided to call after my show, and having some regular contractions. It's all clear as mud hey? but you want the pool set up first, and who cares if it's too early, even if it is days early? :thumbup:
XxX

Thanks bournefree!! yes stage 2 would be too late as my midwife needs at least 1 and a half hours to get here, thats without preparation, so I dont want my OH to end up having to deliver the baby with me alone! I think I will just ring her labour gets going and keep her updated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->