• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Homebirth in Australia? Anybody?

Luzelle

Reaction score
Hi all. We are moving/emigrating to Australia sometime in the next few months, and although I know they have midwives there, I'm unsure as to how homebirth works. Is it allowed? Do you have to pay privately?
This is something that I've always wanted to do, but with all the newness, new country, getting a house to live in etc etc, I'm not albe to make my plan beforehand as I would have liked to.
My second option is going to a birth centre. Oh, all this uncertainty is killing me.
We will be moving to Goondiwindi, Queensland.

From what I know, it is very difficult to have a homebirth here, I have friends who have done it, but have had to fight for it.
Good luck, I hope you get the birth you want!

It isn't impossible but there are new laws around homebirth, here. You can find a midwife but on top of the fees (usually around $3000AUSD) you HAVE to pay $400 for some crappy useless insurance tax that wont benefit you in the slightest for paying. Your midwife has to be registered and approved by doctor (which wouldn't be that hard in QLD). I don't think it will effect you very much as you are already 15 weeks.

What would effect you is paying privately for a midwife who will most likely have a backup which will cover and the $400. Goondiwindi is quite isolated and I haven't had any luck finding any midwives registered around that area. You would have to call around.

Birth centres take a long time to get into, in Australia.

I think the Aussie government want to make HB illegal for some unknown (to me) reason :|

I will have to look into the availability of a place in a birthing centre asap, then. Thanx so much for all the advice. $3000 PLUS is just too much...
Why do they have to make it so difficult for women just to do something which actually comes naturally to them?!!!!
I thought birthing centres were a kind-of walk-in thing. Just goes to show how little I know. There is so little information available to prepare oneself for one of the most important events in your life.

I'd actually start calling around now (use Skype or something to save on phone bills) to find yourself a midwife and start getting yourself set for a birthing centre birth.
I know Aus is less midwife led than NZ so no idea how hard it is to get one (and it's hard here if you aren't early/depending on area).
They are trying to make it illegal (I wasn't sure if it had passed yet or not) because of insurance reasons and medical lobbyists. Here's the homebirth website https://www.homebirthaustralia.org/ Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->