Homebirth (non-water)-Which room? which position?

spacegirl

Reaction score
I'm hoping to have a homebirth in my bedroom either squatting on the floor and leaning on the bed or draping myself over a birthing ball.

Just wondering what others have done and do you have any advice on what positions/rooms worked for you. Thanks x

I think that's the beauty of a homebirth. You can simply do what feels right for you. I prepared the family room into a birth space (candles, covered the book cases with sheets to make the room feel more calm etc.) but found myself also spending a lot of time in the bath and the bedroom was great for when I wanted to be alone. I moved about a lot and on the floor leaning on the bed, on the floor leaning on the couch, on all fours and in the bath were all good positions for me through contractions. I did have a pool in the family room because that was where we had the room to set it up and access to the hot water from the kitchen but I saved it for third stage. We made room for the pool by dismantling the dining room table and storing it temporarily with the neighbours downstairs.

Watching this thread, I am hoping for a water birth in our living room but want to come up with a good back up plan for a dry land birth if the pool isn't set up on time. Part of me just wants to do it old school on my back in bed (only right at the end as I need to push, can't imagine staying still for the rest) because I'm guessing if I am that quick that the pool isn't ready the whole being on my back thing won't be so bad...? But it's a new bed and not sure hubby would approve as it was quite pricey haha. I think squatting leaning over something would probably be best for me, not sure what room though.

Totally do what feels right to you in the moment. Follow your intuition, change positions if you feel like it, hop in the bath or shower, anything!

I personally liked labouring leaned over the backside of a chair, and I also liked sitting on a birth ball and leaning over pillows on the couch. I did end up getting into the tub and birthing my daughter there though. :)

I did it in our bedroom kneeling on the floor with my upper body supported by a chair. I'd spent most of labour sitting or bouncing on a birth ball, but pushing I walked back and forth between my bedroom and bath room and kneeled wherever when I needed to push. I also spent a lot of time towards the end squatting and pushing, but then my legs got too tired (was pushing on and off for 4 hours!). Someone mentioned using a bean bag recently and I think that sounds fab. That would have been much more comfortable to kneel against at the end and I think I get that next time. I should add though I'd planned a water birth and just didn't like the pool, so got out after not very long. Just goes to show you never know what feels better for you til you're in the moment.

In the bedroom, on my knees, leaning against/across the bed.

Just look up as many positions as possible and listen to your body. Unless something is wrong, your body will likely know exactly what to do. I was in the position I birthed in for most of labor, it was the most comfortable for me. Be prepared to shift- you may feel most comfortable in one position, then need to shift. There's nothing wrong with that. Bedroom and bathroom are hte rooms I've most commonly seen. Make sure that you/your midwife has supplies to cover up the floor and furniture.

I'm taking over downstairs. I have a lounge at the front and workroom at the back and I shall spend most of my labour pacing through contractions. I plan to deliver in the lounge. I'm hoping for a night birth with candles and music playing.

I had a wonderful spare bedroom with candles set up, a second family room with a pool, and then I never used either. Stood in the shower 12 hours and told anyone to fuck off if they tried to move me.

Correct, the beauty of home birth is that you will just KNOW where! Just make everywhere "ready" and let your body decide! :)

Girls, so helpful thanks. Hoping to still have a homebirth even though i'm v overdue now...

I went to 42 weeks with mine (after being induced at 40+3 with my 1st), it's well worth the wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->