homebirth vs. hospital birth

They dont do buissness trips for most jobs.

OH's biggest worry about having kids is my health. For him, I will have my baby in the hospital. I'd prefer a birth center, but like I said, he's really that worried. I pity the idiot who tries to push pain meds on me though!

Not really discussed this properly with DH but I reckon a hospital birth for me. Don't wanna scare the poor old cats lol (ok that's not actually the reason obviously...)

ok but my OH has to do quite a lot because he is a fleet manager for a shipmanaging company . At the moment he is out in singapore, and Mumbai and only two weeks before that he has been in dubai for two weeks(and it was delayed there because of a sandstorm) . but over msn messenger we can see and speak each other all the time he is in his room ^^

I definitely would want a home water birth, but unfortunately I don't think I will be able to because of my high BMI. I am going to try and have as natural a birth as possible and if allowed, will try for a water birth though and maybe by the time I am ready for #2 I will have lost enough weight to give a home birth a try :) x

My hubby thinks that a home birth is too dangerous though, like Kristin's OH, he wants me to be in hospital. I hope that I would be able to educate him by then! x

I definitely would want a home water birth, but unfortunately I don't think I will be able to because of my high BMI. I am going to try and have as natural a birth as possible and if allowed, will try for a water birth though and maybe by the time I am ready for #2 I will have lost enough weight to give a home birth a try :) x

My hubby thinks that a home birth is too dangerous though, like Kristin's OH, he wants me to be in hospital. I hope that I would be able to educate him by then! x

Unless you have other complications high BMI is no reason for them to say no to a home birth, they cant stop you anyway

They cant deny you a homebirth full stop no matter what the contraindication is.

Since a homebirth is safer for ordinary pregnancies, I want a homebirth. I hate being out of control, and at home I'm in charge, not doctors.

Even if I need an emergency c-section (a misnomer, really, it should be "unplanned" c-sec as very very few are true emergencies) the average time from this being decided to actual surgery is 15 minutes for people IN THE HOSPITAL ALREADY (they have to prep the theatre, find the medical staff etc), so they can get all this prep done while I'm on the way to the hospital (we live 10 mins away) and it'll not be any slower.

Business trips must run in the family then , because my sisters husband also has to go on business trips vey now and then as does the husband of my mother.. (he only on one dayed ones though)

nah but I just don't like the idea of giving birth at home. with all the goo and stuff thats coming out of you with the baby xD. But that may also be because while I never liked the smell in Hospitals maybe I never disliked being or visiting someone in Hospitals . That could also be though because I was never in hospital longer than ambulant for my ear surgery for physical things in first place.

Business trips must run in the family then , because my sisters husband also has to go on business trips vey now and then as does the husband of my mother.. (he only on one dayed ones though)

nah but I just don't like the idea of giving birth at home. with all the goo and stuff thats coming out of you with the baby xD. But that may also be because while I never liked the smell in Hospitals maybe I never disliked being or visiting someone in Hospitals . That could also be though because I was never in hospital longer than ambulant for my ear surgery for physical things in first place.

Iv never been in hospital for longer than a trip to a&e and i dont plan on changing that while im having children, im in labour, not ill so why go to hospital?

Because of all that goo and stuff that comes out of you xD. I 'd rather dirty some hospital bedding than where ever it is made at home.

when I had my son I thought I would do a hospital birth so I knew what I was doing, then home births for any further children. But the experience I had with my first has scared me into not wanting to do it alone!
I know its nice to be where you are comfortable, but I would feel so much better to know that if similar complications arise for my next child, I have several midwifes and consultants around to tell me whats going on and get baby out asap if necessary!

Unless you have other complications high BMI is no reason for them to say no to a home birth, they cant stop you anyway

A BMI over 35 is a contraindication for homebirth

xxx

But they cant deny you one for this alone

They cant deny you a homebirth full stop no matter what the contraindication is.

Hmm interesting.... well I will have a BMI of over 35, well unless it takes me a few years to conceive that is! It would be interesting to see what they say then. x

Iv never been in hospital for longer than a trip to a&e and i dont plan on changing that while im having children, im in labour, not ill so why go to hospital?

Because even though it's not an "illness", a birth can be a dangerous situation to be in for both mother and child. Not so long ago, a lot of mums and even more babies died during or following childbirth. And it is largely due to our improved medical care (in the event that something does go wrong) that this happens a lot less these days. Just because a pregnancy is "low risk" you can't be sure that nothing will go wrong. No such thing as a no-risk pregnancy.

And saying "I'm in labour, not ill so why go to hospital?" is like saying "why go to hospital for a boob job?". You're not ill there either, yet you wouldn't want that done without having equipment and expertise at hand?

I appreciate that home births can be a lovely experience and a lot less stressful IF nothing goes wrong. But if it does, I would want to know that I have the best possible care right there and no added risks like for example traffic.

Also, regarding the high BMI discussion: Of course they can't make you go to hospital. But they're not suggesting it just to be annoying. They're suggesting it because there is empirical evidence that hospital is the best place for you to give birth if you're in a risk group, high BMI being one of them.

I assume none of us have medical degrees. So as long as we don't have knowledge to the contrary ourselves, it's our best bet to go with what the majority of the experts on this topic are saying. Even if they're not infallible, they have more of an idea than we do. The majority of doctors will tell you that it's safest to be in a maternity ward when giving birth, so that's what I'm going with, untill proven wrong.

I didnt want to have a home birth with Tabitha i thought it was totally crazy totally yucky and whhhyy would you want to have other children there etc etc...

NOW i want just that, i REALLLYY want a home water birth, have spoken to a few MWs and they said since first was easy then would be fine.

My other factor is i prob wouldnt get to hospital since my labour was about 2 1/2 hours ish and since they are meant to be faster second time around :shrug:

My only negative factor is that we live 30mins from the hospital and i'm kinda worried if something went wrong then would i be too far away??? I wouldnt evverr want to risk my little baby!!

I'm going with the thought that i'm going to reaserch EVERYTHING that i can and speak to alot of MWs and if they believe that there is a low risk considering there is prob the same risk in crashing the car on the way to the hospital i will go with their opinion as they are speaking for the care of your unborn baby.

I've been told that the only care that you wouldnt get at home is a c-section...

Because even though it's not an "illness", a birth can be a dangerous situation to be in for both mother and child. Not so long ago, a lot of mums and even more babies died during or following childbirth. And it is largely due to our improved medical care (in the event that something does go wrong) that this happens a lot less these days. Just because a pregnancy is "low risk" you can't be sure that nothing will go wrong. No such thing as a no-risk pregnancy.

And saying "I'm in labour, not ill so why go to hospital?" is like saying "why go to hospital for a boob job?". You're not ill there either, yet you wouldn't want that done without having equipment and expertise at hand?

I appreciate that home births can be a lovely experience and a lot less stressful IF nothing goes wrong. But if it does, I would want to know that I have the best possible care right there and no added risks like for example traffic.

Also, regarding the high BMI discussion: Of course they can't make you go to hospital. But they're not suggesting it just to be annoying. They're suggesting it because there is empirical evidence that hospital is the best place for you to give birth if you're in a risk group, high BMI being one of them.

I assume none of us have medical degrees. So as long as we don't have knowledge to the contrary ourselves, it's our best bet to go with what the majority of the experts on this topic are saying. Even if they're not infallible, they have more of an idea than we do. The majority of doctors will tell you that it's safest to be in a maternity ward when giving birth, so that's what I'm going with, untill proven wrong.

But i wont be alone, ill have 2 midwifes with me, i live 10 mins for the nearest hospital that the roads there arnt that bisy.

It takes 15 mins to prep for an emergancy c-section even when you are in the hospital, so there is no differance in me having to be transfered to sat waiting for the theater to be preped.

My ma is a midwife so I think I wouldn't panic either way - she's brill and she has already hand picked a team for me! Haha! Apparently there's some she wouldn't trust to 'carve sunday roast'... never mind doing intimate stitches!!
As we live in rented accommodation, I know this sounds ridiculous but I think I would poop myself regarding any mess on the carpets if we had a homebirth :p I quite fancy using the local midwifery led birthing pool centre. Failing that, most likely hospital. x

This is the reason I didn't plan a home birth. Although with the next one I will

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->